I bought the Playbook a month ago because i thought it would be handy to use. Problem is, I never use it because it takes too long to boot. I could just leave it in sleep mode, but by the time I use it the battery is dead.
    05-09-13 12:16 AM
    I bought the Playbook a month ago because i thought it would be handy to use. Problem is, I never use it because it takes too long to boot. I could just leave it in sleep mode, but by the time I use it the battery is dead.
    The boot time is long, but it isn't meant to be turned off often. Usage and sleep mode should last for the whole day and then recharge while on for the night. Most tablets and phones are meant to stay on, the PlayBook included.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    05-09-13 12:27 AM
    At this point I might use it once a week if I'm lucky
    05-09-13 12:52 AM
    And you can't leave it on a charger when you're not using it?? Do you self a favor and invest in this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XD...bUvbUpU8448041

It's $15 and worth every penny. Pretty sure I paid at least 50 for mine
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    05-09-13 01:01 AM
    got one...
    05-09-13 01:04 AM
    Are you leaving the wi-fi on while in standby? I did that when I first got mine and the battery drained rapidly, as the Playbook doesn't sleep like a laptop does. When bluetooth/wi-fi are off it should take 5-7 days before draining fully in standby.

The boot time is pretty bad though, easily the longest of any device I own so it's rarely turned off.
    05-09-13 02:49 AM
    I bought my first 64 gb PB on launch, And I think I've maybe rebooted the machine maybe 25 times. Do the math. Maybe reboot once a month???
    Means I leave it on all the time, use it, and when I get home, I do my routines, grab pb for whatever, and when it comes time to check the eyelids for cracks, the PB is on the Charge Dock charging. Otherwise I have not had any real issues.

I have a dock at home and at work. Waiting to match it to a Z10 this weekend.......

C
    05-09-13 08:35 AM
    I love my Playbook for many reasons but.........I find it ridiculous that it takes so long for my Playbook to boot up. You shouldn't have to leave it on all the time in order to use it at will. No other tablet is like that. It's just one more reason why Blackberry falls behind in popularity year after year. If you are used to doing things the hard way, it's no big deal but if you are coming from another system, why would you be willing to put up with such craziness? Maybe if Blackberry would give me a good reason for such nonsense I would see it differently.
    05-09-13 08:52 AM
    got one...
    Then you really shouldn't be needing to turn it off and on. I'm not sure I've ever turned my playbook off and every time I go to use it, its fully charged
    05-09-13 08:54 AM
    I don't work for BlackBerry and have no direct knowledge of the internal working of the boot process of the Playbook so this may be completely inaccurate. I believe the Playbook extracts all the system files from an archive each time it boots to make sure that the system has not been modified. I remember in earlier versions of the Playbook OS rooting would allow you to modify system files but the changes were wiped out each time you rebooted. I assume this extract / integrity check process is the reason for such a long boot time. BlackBerry prides themselves in the security of their devices so they would prioritize system security over user conveinence.
    I love my Playbook for many reasons but.........I find it ridiculous that it takes so long for my Playbook to boot up. You shouldn't have to leave it on all the time in order to use it at will. No other tablet is like that. It's just one more reason why Blackberry falls behind in popularity year after year. If you are used to doing things the hard way, it's no big deal but if you are coming from another system, why would you be willing to put up with such craziness? Maybe if Blackberry would give me a good reason for such nonsense I would see it differently.
    05-09-13 09:13 AM
    Most tablets do want you to not shut down unless needed... computers are starting to do that too. Windows 8, if I remember correctly, almost hides the shutdown and have their standard option to restart once a week just for the updates.

Your looking at it old school and it takes a bit to get use to with today's devices. It goes against what we were taught years ago.

Also, Wright_PC makes a good point, no other tablet has as much security as BlackBerry either.
    05-09-13 11:39 AM
    Most tablets do want you to not shut down unless needed... computers are starting to do that too. Windows 8, if I remember correctly, almost hides the shutdown and have their standard option to restart once a week just for the updates.

Your looking at it old school and it takes a bit to get use to with today's devices. It goes against what we were taught years ago.

Also, Wright_PC makes a good point, no other tablet has as much security as BlackBerry either.
    Restarts once a week for updates doesn't have anything to so with the Playbook start up.

Old school? I wasn't taught anything about how fast a phone or tablet should boot up years ago. I have been into tablets for about 6 months. Where are you getting that "most tablets do want you to not shut down unless needed"? I haven't seen that in any manual or instructions of any device I've checked out.

Along with my Playbook, I have a new iPad 4. I turn it on in a matter of seconds, use it and turn it off. No hassles, no lag time, no problems. I do appreciate the security of the Playbook and that is one big reason I love it. If that is the reason it takes so long to boot up, I can live with it. Of course that is just a good theory from Wright_PC. Why wouldn't Blackberry state that somewhere so we are not left guessing about something so incredibly different from other tablets?
    05-09-13 12:23 PM
    I remember early PlayBook threads talking about the long boot process and someone stating that RIM (former) admitted that the OS was designed to boot from encrypted archive and run through every possible structure supported on each boot cycle. I think they later admitted that most of those structure checks weren't necessary as they aren't as common but that they couldn't change the boot sequence now.

Who knows, maybe BB10 on the PB will address the boot cycle.
    05-09-13 02:22 PM
    Restarts once a week for updates doesn't have anything to so with the Playbook start up.

Old school? I wasn't taught anything about how fast a phone or tablet should boot up years ago. I have been into tablets for about 6 months. Where are you getting that "most tablets do want you to not shut down unless needed"? I haven't seen that in any manual or instructions of any device I've checked out.

Along with my Playbook, I have a new iPad 4. I turn it on in a matter of seconds, use it and turn it off. No hassles, no lag time, no problems. I do appreciate the security of the Playbook and that is one big reason I love it. If that is the reason it takes so long to boot up, I can live with it. Of course that is just a good theory from Wright_PC. Why wouldn't Blackberry state that somewhere so we are not left guessing about something so incredibly different from other tablets?
    What I mean is that computers are even starting to embrace and be able to be always on. The restarts once a week for updates rather than just shutting it down everyday and it goes so far as to have that type of option. That is linked to the PlayBook because I was saying that technology today isn't made to be forced to shut down every night anymore.

As for old school, I am not talking about just phone and tablets but most electronics today, including the aforementioned PC, being made to be able to just go into standby/hibernation mode rather than to be shut down completely.

As for "most tablets don't want you to shut it down", well it isn't so much that but rather "most tablets don't NEED you to shut it down". They are generally used throughout the day and then recharged at night while still on, much like a cell phone. Hopefully I explained it a bit better this time.
    05-09-13 03:15 PM

Yes, but Windows 8 supports hibernation
    05-09-13 03:21 PM
    Though I agree the PlayBook boot times are pretty bad, and I hope it improves with BB 10, you can change your usage habits a bit to compensate. For example, I shut my PlayBook down at night and reboot it first thing in the morning as soon as I've just hit the alarm button on my cellphone. Then, I go to do my morning routine (potty break, teeth brush, etc.) and of course it's done by the time I come back and I go on with my day with a fresh booted PlayBook. You 'could' even bring it with you into the bathroom in the morning and once you walk to it and brush your teeth, it will be booted. I sometimes bring it with me so I can listen to music while I'm getting ready. It depends on my mood.

I would also suggest using airplane mode to kill wi-fi, Bluetooth and anything else in one swoop. Though, for me, just shutting off Wi-Fi is good enough since I don't use Bluetooth often. I also keep my screen turned down to it's lowest setting right before I set it to go into standby. Anyhow, that's how I roll with mine...just tips I practice.
    05-09-13 03:43 PM
    Yes, but Windows 8 supports hibernation
    It does, but I believe that still isn't a full shut down. The point I was attempting to make is that devices are moving away from being shut down and towards always on with sleep/standby/hibernation/etc. The PlayBook is also a device that isn't meant to be turned off every night, just like today's cellphones.

Computers, tablets, cell phones, etc are all different but there are similarities. I probably shouldn't have included that or even mention old-school. Sorry, I should have just said the PB isn't meant to be turned off and on everyday and especially multiple times a day. Usage varies, so if anything power users should (I would think) be more upset BB didn't put in a better battery than the load times.

I will gracefully back away since I do not believe I can correctly articulate what I am attempting to say....
    05-09-13 04:07 PM
    I rarely ever shut my playbook off, only when there's a bug or a glitch in the system. if you turn all your connections off it essentially is hibernation. and I have a laptop thqt hibernates and my playbook asleep.with wifi on conserves battery life more than my windows machine. sure the playbook takes what 3 mins to boot so why don't ya make yourself a coffee and magic look qt thqt its booted up
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-09-13 04:14 PM
    First World Pains.
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-09-13 04:20 PM
    First World Pains.
    this is the best way to put it.
    05-09-13 04:25 PM
    got one...
    I might reboot twice a week just to regain some memory,,, otherwise mine is on or in standby, usually in the dock or in my recently acquired mini keyboard,,, & it only takes 2 1/2-3mins to boot up,,, what's the big deal??? i can't remember the last time i actually turned mine off...
    05-09-13 06:51 PM
    It does, but I believe that still isn't a full shut down. The point I was attempting to make is that devices are moving away from being shut down and towards always on with sleep/standby/hibernation/etc. The PlayBook is also a device that isn't meant to be turned off every night, just like today's cellphones.
    According to the battery it is, and that's my point. Waking my computer from hibernation is way faster than starting a Playbook, which - like I said - would get a dead battery if left in standby in my house.
    05-09-13 06:56 PM
    According to the battery it is, and that's my point. Waking my computer from hibernation is way faster than starting a Playbook, which - like I said - would get a dead battery if left in standby in my house.
    waking your computer is no different than putting the playbook on standby and I beg to differ tbe playbook starts faster, just one swipe and a second
    05-09-13 07:26 PM
    waking your computer is no different than putting the playbook on standby and I beg to differ tbe playbook starts faster, just one swipe and a second
    in hibernation mode the contents of the ram is written to the disk and then it shuts down COMPLETELY. in the playbook sleep mode power is used to keep the contents of the RAM, cpu going, and Wifi and 3G.
    05-09-13 09:47 PM

Are you actually powering off your iPad or just putting it into standy. It takes more than a just a few seconds to start the iPad. Modern tablets are designed to be left on as others have stated. Our phones and tablets are always on as us the case with almost everyone I know with the devices. I only have to charge my PlayBook once or twice a week and it is always ready to go when I want it.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 01:49 AM
50 12