BB OS 7 is straight outta 2008, updated for 2010. My Android phone came by FedEx today and I am stunned, absolutely stunned at how much more advanced it is than anything RIM has to offer pre-BB10. It makes the Bold look like a dinosaur, and I'm a loyal BB user since 2009.
    Why didn't you buy a BlackBerry Z10 if you had been considering a BlackBerry Bold running BBOS 7?

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    02-24-13 05:44 PM
    Why didn't you buy a BlackBerry Z10 if you had been considering a BlackBerry Bold running BBOS 7?

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    Price, availability... and or additional data charges /charges by carrier of BlackBerry Z10 vs mid range LG Android cell phone?

How about a large selection of apps, priced *cheaper than ones available thru RIM?

PS: When is RIM going to realize they need to come out with a BBM ? syncing app / for Android phones for the PlayBook?
    (I guess they think everyone that is using a Playbook has a RIM phone, eh? Until they realize this most likely the upcoming 2nd gen Playbooks will be a commercial flop as were 1st generation Playbooks.)

Totally different subject- Anyone heard what the pricing is going to be for 2nd generation Playbooks?

02-25-13 01:33 AM
    Peter, I generally considered you a reasonable person but on this point I must disagree with you. The smartphone and tablet teams were separately working on their respective version of OS for the BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry PlayBook. If Thorsten merged the teams he made a strategic error in judgement.
    There is no single "smartphone team" and "tablet team". There are many teams. There are teams for many different areas (e.g. location services, sensors, messaging) as well as teams for various phases of development in some cases. There are also teams for each app (or small sets of apps). Some have been different on the two platforms, because they are two platforms. As they become one, they will not merely have two separate teams working in parallel on "phone version of app X" and "tablet version of app X" although certainly in many cases that is how it has been up to now, but only because the UIs are so different.

Anyway, if we focus on the strategy question, I guess we have to agree to disagree, because were merely debating our own opinions. I completely agree with their strategy of focusing on the phones right now, because (I believe, and clearly you do not) that without that focus they would have shipped later, and would have failed to survive long enough ever to worry about putting BB10 on the tablets. As it is, they're not out of the woods quite yet, and need to maintain that focus for a bit longer.
    02-25-13 09:08 AM
    There is no single "smartphone team" and "tablet team". There are many teams. There are teams for many different areas (e.g. location services, sensors, messaging) as well as teams for various phases of development in some cases. There are also teams for each app (or small sets of apps). Some have been different on the two platforms, because they are two platforms. As they become one, they will not merely have two separate teams working in parallel on "phone version of app X" and "tablet version of app X" although certainly in many cases that is how it has been up to now, but only because the UIs are so different.
    That would explain what we have seen on the PB. Poor system integration due to poor system hardware/software requirements. I enjoy using both my PB now as a tool and my old Torch but it has taken two years to get to this point. I don't think they can wait that long anymore on any product.
    02-25-13 12:23 PM
    Powdah,
    If you are not aware of mass deletions of emails on pb this is how you do it: while in your messages program you swipe down from top and touch the dotted boxes icon at top and then you can tag emails and delete.
    02-25-13 09:40 PM
    So much for that theory!
    03-02-13 04:13 PM
56 123