Late summer early fall for a new tablet. February BlackBerry10 for PLAYBOOK.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-29-13 12:47 PM
    It's called a BETA for a reason. I didn't say they were going to give a full blown full BB 10 upgrade. I am sure we will have a Beta for PB before the Jan 30 final release.
    I have some friends in high places, that's all I can say about my word on the street,
    and if that's not good enough for you, no worries, you need to pine over it Think what you like.
    Larf.

So; what's the date tomorrow?

Frankly I'd be disappointed if they released BB10 for Playbook as a Beta. Enough already with the endless delays, they've had enough time to put together a gold-plated release. Smart bet would be to have a full version of BB10 available for immediate upgrade on PB - get the OS out into the world immediately to generate some buzz and drive handset sales.
    01-29-13 04:28 PM
    They will and should but then they should leave it on users weather to upgrade o not and they are not gonna force us to upgrade and it will be availabe at the end of march o april 2013 and the notification can be seen till we upgrade and its our wish, and its not the beta verzion its 10 beta can be released august or sept hats of RIM.
    02-09-13 06:25 AM
    Late summer early fall for a new tablet. February BlackBerry10 for PLAYBOOK.

Where did you see this? Latest official report was "later this year".
    02-11-13 11:55 AM
    This was me being very optimistic the day before launch
    Where did you see this? Latest official report was "later this year".
    02-11-13 12:26 PM
    Soon....ish
    02-11-13 03:45 PM
    in about 60 days........
    EricB1968 and JeepBB like this.
    02-11-13 03:49 PM
    I'm waiting for it.
    And if anyone try to install OS 10 Dev Alpha to your PlayBook, just don't do that. I nuked my PB once. Lol.
    02-16-13 07:31 PM
    Someone who is not very reliable when it comes to stuff like this told me the end of February

02-16-13 07:38 PM
    I've been rather more reliable on this so far than a few people above (since it's not out yet, and I said it wouldn't be out yet). ;-)

If I were you, I would not hold my breath on this. As we'd been told, and I've said repeatedly, they will need significant time even before a beta is available, and a release will be some time after that. Keep thinking months, not days or even weeks.

The focus must stay on the phones for the near future. To do otherwise would be a crippling strategic mistake, in spite of what many armchair CEOs have tried to tell you.
    Barljo and rjedge54 like this.
    02-16-13 09:03 PM
    I've been rather more reliable on this so far than a few people above (since it's not out yet, and I said it wouldn't be out yet). ;-)

If I were you, I would not hold my breath on this. As we'd been told, and I've said repeatedly, they will need significant time even before a beta is available, and a release will be some time after that. Keep thinking months, not days or even weeks.

The focus must stay on the phones for the near future. To do otherwise would be a crippling strategic mistake, in spite of what many armchair CEOs have tried to tell you.
    Say they have a fully functional BB10 OS for the PlayBook. How can an extra million units, already in the end-user's hands, ready to showcase the new platform, be a "crippling strategic mistake"?

Really curious on the rationale...
    02-20-13 06:03 PM
    in about 60 days........
    So April?????AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Disappointed
    02-20-13 08:02 PM
    Say they have a fully functional BB10 OS for the PlayBook. How can an extra million units, already in the end-user's hands, ready to showcase the new platform, be a "crippling strategic mistake"?

Really curious on the rationale...
    Well they don't have a "fully functioning" version of BB10 for the tablet and they haven't tried. Because they would have made $0 CDN from all that work.

Very few people are going to look at a tablet with BB10 and go "Wow, that makes me want to buy a phone with BB10!!" The money spent developing BB10 for the Playbook could be used on any number of other things which would be more likely to increase RIM's chances of staying alive for another year.

Besides, the PB already has the taint of failure on it. If the board caught wind that the CEO was funneling money to finalize an OS for a failed device that would bring zero immediate revenue into the company, they'd block him instantly. Hoping that people would show their PBs to other people who know little about them and hoping that those people go out and buy BB10 phones is not a rational business decision when you're running a billion-dollar company.
    02-21-13 03:20 PM
    Say they have a fully functional BB10 OS for the PlayBook.
    Oh, but they don't! That's the point... how many people would you pull off phone development to assign to the changes needed for the PlayBook version?

If it were ready, well, that's a different story. Probably schedule release for about May in that case, after the dust has settled a bit from the Z10 and Q10 launches and there's enough positive vibe to counteract the negative vibe associated with the PlayBook. Or maybe good marketers would mix it all in together with the phone stuff that's going on.

But that's a non-discussion, because it's not ready.
    02-21-13 03:21 PM
    And I also have to say.. (plug your ears BB fanboys)..

BB10 ain't all that great. It's good. It's solid. It's what RIM should have developed 12 months ago. It brings RIM phones about up to the level of Android and iOS. But it's not a leap ahead or even a step ahead.

At this point phone users are like members of political parties. You've pretty much made your choice whether you're a Democrat or Republican at this point. Unless something drastic changes your mind, you're locked in. Same with phones. Most people who have an iPhone are going to stick with it. Most people on Android are going to stick with it.

Both Microsoft and RIM are fighting for #3. All BB10 can hope to do is prevent more people from leaving RIM at this point, and start a base from which RIM can generate a mature OS like iOS and Android for the coming years. It comes too late for me, as I've just switched to Android and expect my phone to come via FedEx tomorrow.
    02-21-13 03:31 PM

BB10 ain't all that great. It's good. It's solid. It's what RIM should have developed 12 months ago. It brings RIM phones about up to the level of Android and iOS. But it's not a leap ahead or even a step ahead.

At this point phone users are like members of political parties. You've pretty much made your choice whether you're a Democrat or Republican at this point. Unless something drastic changes your mind, you're locked in. Same with phones. Most people who have an iPhone are going to stick with it. Most people on Android are going to stick with it.

Both Microsoft and RIM are fighting for #3. All BB10 can hope to do is prevent more people from leaving RIM at this point, and start a base from which RIM can generate a mature OS like iOS and Android for the coming years. It comes too late for me, as I've just switched to Android and expect my phone to come via FedEx tomorrow.

Agree Furballz. It's got some cool features that are ahead of iphone/android, but nothing TOTALLY revolutionary yet. But, I do think that QNX has potential. Perhaps in teh future you can consider Bb11 for now enjoy your android
    02-21-13 09:11 PM
    Say they have a fully functional BB10 OS for the PlayBook. How can an extra million units, already in the end-user's hands, ready to showcase the new platform, be a "crippling strategic mistake"? Really curious on the rationale...
    Well, for one, what revenue does a free OS for an under cost tablet generate? A million times zero is still zero. Hey, I'd like to see an update too, but have recently purchased a Nexus7 which kicks ***, and my poor PB, which has been a great device, gathers more dust than fingerprints. I'm a pretty loyal BB guy, but I'm also forward thinking enough to understand some basic corporate priorities......at least I think I am Looking at the big picture, spending money and resources on current hardware and software is where Blackberry needs to remain focused. Time will tell.......
    rjedge54 likes this.
    02-21-13 10:29 PM
    Well it is not all about cashflows such an update. You can assume that playbook owners are loyal blackberry customers and they would appreciate the continued support for their tablet and that adds value to the brand. Just like blizzard (of starcraft and warcraft and so) keeps on updating old pc games. If the tablet is good then I want a bb10 phone because I trust the blackberry brand.

However I don't really like the PB without bb10, therefore I might buy a other brand tablet and then BB will eventual lose me and others as a customer.

Also it is just so weird to keep postponing the release of BB10 for PB, the userbase just keeps on getting smaller, and soon there is just no point in releasing BB10 for playbook at all. Since almost nobody has such a tablet anymore and has moved over to android and ios.

Its actually really hard for me to understand why BB10 is not yet on the PB. If it is hard/expensive to do it, then just don't do it, what is the point? If it is easy to do, then why isn't it here already?....

I'm losing faith though in what BB10 will bring to the PB.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    02-22-13 07:08 AM
    Its actually really hard for me to understand why BB10 is not yet on the PB. If it is hard/expensive to do it, then just don't do it, what is the point? If it is easy to do, then why isn't it here already?....
    As I've said, and it's not really rocket science: resource constraints.

Depending on your definition of "easy", it's either easy or not easy. As a developer, I'd say it's not easy... Easy would be if a team of three could whip it off in a couple of weeks. Not easy is if you need dozens of people, as in probably over a hundred, assigned to it for many months. Or hundreds of people for slightly less time... but still measured in months.

There's something else taking their attention right now, and that's called the smartphone. The tablet will certainly get more attention after the Q10 has launched, and after some of the initial more critical issues with BB10 on the phones is resolved. And... after the phones have been established as a solid success.
    02-22-13 07:38 AM
    02-22-13 07:46 AM
    I would pay for an upgrade if it would give me the same speed, fluidity as my wife's Ipad. We were deleting emails side by side. She could get rid of the same amount of emails in about 1/2 the time. (Just saying)

I kept my screen hidden from her as I would not admit it was slower and take the teasing.
    02-22-13 03:14 PM

Blackberry is fighting for #3 and #4... BBOS7 and BB10 Platforms are both in the run right now, and with no EOL date for BBOS7 it might be a contender for years. Of course with BB having to support two platforms they'll be lucky if either make it to number four.
    02-22-13 03:42 PM
    with no EOL date for BBOS7 it might be a contender for years.
    You and I must have different definitions of the word "contender."

BB OS 7 is straight outta 2008, updated for 2010. My Android phone came by FedEx today and I am stunned, absolutely stunned at how much more advanced it is than anything RIM has to offer pre-BB10. It makes the Bold look like a dinosaur, and I'm a loyal BB user since 2009.

I am so glad I didn't spring for a Bold but at the last second changed my order to the Android phone (just a mid-level LG). You have no idea how glad.

I'm still happy to use my PB and will for awhile. At its price-point I think it's the best tablet on the market. But if you have a BB phone with anything less than BB10, you're living in the distant past.
    JeepBB and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    02-22-13 11:00 PM
    I did it but then I nuked my PB. Lol
    02-24-13 10:05 AM
    As I've said, and it's not really rocket science: resource constraints.
    Peter, I generally considered you a reasonable person but on this point I must disagree with you. The smartphone and tablet teams were separately working on their respective version of OS for the BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry PlayBook. If Thorsten merged the teams he made a strategic error in judgement.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-24-13 05:38 PM
56 123