PlayBook Apps Keep Crashing!
Hey, has anyone else been experiencing this lately? it was working great after the 2.0.1 update for awhile and the past couple days the browser and other apps will crash almost instantly and i cant use them!! its getting very annoying...is there anything i can do?
2.1 better be coming soon and fix this issue...sadly RIM really needs to find a way to have native apps like music or browser to not crash instantly...it looks bad on the company and product!
Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
- CrackBerry Abuser
05-14-12, 01:47 PM #2
- 442 Posts
have you tried to reboot? if you have not done anything new to the playbook then there is no reason why apps would start crashing except maybe if the unit has a hung service in the background and needs to be rebooted.
I have hard reset it now and its working better
But this is something they REALLY need to fix in 2.1, and absolutely cant happen when BB10 arrives, that would ruin BB10...its really frustrating and is something that shouldn't happen, 2.1 better fix this situation
- 05-15-12, 12:07 AM #9
Clear browser cache --- corrupted browser cache has doomed many browsers (like Microsoft IE). Then take a note of whether it is the same websites and the same apps that keeps on crashing.
Are you sideloading android apps?
- 05-15-12, 05:38 AM #10
I do observe more often crashes, mainly from Android apps but also from the browser or other apps that freeze since my update to 2.0.1. Hopefully, this will be fixed with 2.1. I perform on average 3 reboot per week.
- 05-15-12, 01:19 PM #12
There's a similar discussion in the Sideloading forum, I think.
Yes, RIM should address this and why should we pay for an app to overcome poor programming? Yeah, i agree, but it is what it is.
- CrackBerry Genius
05-20-12, 10:38 AM #13
- 1,761 Posts
- Just PM
-___- some people have this problem, other that.. always problems ! I never had any trouble with my PB os/apps because i update the way as recommended!
*backup your pb with DM !
*Wipe your os (start with clean one !! Very important !!)
*now your OS will be reloaded, and automatically updated to the highest os ! I never ever had trouble this way !
- 05-20-12, 12:48 PM #14
Ive downloaded a ton of apps and it would take days to re-dl them all again, unless theres some way to reload them through app world or DM that I'm not aware of...
Last edited by NinjaB; 05-20-12 at 12:52 PM.
- 05-20-12, 06:34 PM #16
- 05-21-12, 12:34 PM #17
People have suggested numerous things. However, after a lot of trial and error, I have narrowed it down. Hard reset works, yes, but still doesn't fix the CAUSE in the long term... low free memory. For whatever reason QNX needs that space, like Windows temporary drive. It is not in a separate memory partition, it is sharing the same one with your apps! So you think you have 1gb free... NO! You need AT LEAST that much room just for QNX and your apps to handle the memory swaps and so on.
I totally PACKED my 16gb Playbook until I had maybe 70mb left. All heck broke loose! All sorts of weird symptoms, like fast battery drain on standby, crashing apps, broken wallpaper (not updating), podcast issues, lost/reset all my folder icons, android player not loading any apps, and so on. All because of no swap memory for QNX to handle basic tasks. You need AT LEAST 1gb free, take notice people!!! Ever wonder why the 16gb folks are affected more often? Wonder why it only happens after you use your Playbook for a while (and load it up with stuff)? We run out of space sooner! I learned the hard way!!! Just free up some memory and your Playbook will work beautifully again!
HERE IS WHAT FIXED MY ISSUES:
1. Check free memory space available
- I noticed Playbook needs about 1gb free memory to run properly
- Android apps especially, bad memory management in Android Player
- Go settings > about > hardware pop-down menu
- Do a complete restart (either from shutdown options or manual key press)
3. Android apps are more trouble
- Noticed that mostly these issues occur with android apps
- Also, tends to occur after running a few android apps after each other
- Suspect that memory doesn't "clean up" properly after each app
- Free memory gets lower and lower, until you can't launch apps
Free up memory. You can't use up all your 16gb on a 16gb playbook. And don't expect Android apps to all work. They don't properly clean up memory after themselves.
MEMORY TIPS: Some apps use way more memory than others. For example, I have these apps and they GOBBLE my memory up:
a) Osmand offline maps (android)
- option to download maps, works great, but eats up memory
- you don't notice the memory used, and don't pay attention
- pretty soon you lost 2gb because of offline maps and have no idea
- keep track of your "offline" download content (like maps)
b) Zinio (native)
- awesome app, great magazine content, got some subscriptions (free and paid)
- however, keep track of your offline downloaded magazines
- these are not "Kindle" books, they have WAY MORE data... color photos, videos
- One amazing free download was digital copy of "Revolution" magazine, >500mb!!!
- If you download podcasts, it gobbles up room, especially HD
- I usually just play them using "play" button under description when on Wifi
- If I am going to be away from Wifi, then download to your Playbook
- Delete them to free up space
After you delete a bunch of stuff, REBOOT and problems will magically go away. At least mine did! Oh, and avoid the "Dead Battery" issue by making sure you plug in at 15% charge (don't let it drain too low) and check to make sure the lightning bolt appears on the battery icon. DO NOT charge on computer USB, it is not good enough when your screen is on (barely sufficient on standby).
Last edited by edyb; 05-21-12 at 12:38 PM. Reason: expletive substitution :-)
- CrackBerry User
05-22-12, 07:01 PM #19
- 25 Posts
Just vanilla, running 1 app at a time - no rooting or sideloading - nothing weird; I wouldn't know how!
32G model, Lots of storage still available, only had it a month.
Sometimes other apps freeze too and I have to repower to reset everything then I'm OK for a while again.
It shouldn't be this difficult; I'm not impressed!
- CrackBerry Newbie
12-30-12, 03:18 PM #20
- 1 Posts
samee! i cant go on aps because it just freezes it wont let me go back its letting me go sideways and bring down the settings so whenever it happens i have to restart the whole thing can anybody help because this is getting really annoying thanks
- CrackBerry Newbie
11-20-13, 10:24 AM #21
- 2 Posts