Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By urbnimports
  • 1 Post By edyb
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default PlayBook Apps Keep Crashing!

Hey, has anyone else been experiencing this lately? it was working great after the 2.0.1 update for awhile and the past couple days the browser and other apps will crash almost instantly and i cant use them!! its getting very annoying...is there anything i can do?

2.1 better be coming soon and fix this issue...sadly RIM really needs to find a way to have native apps like music or browser to not crash instantly...it looks bad on the company and product!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

have you tried to reboot? if you have not done anything new to the playbook then there is no reason why apps would start crashing except maybe if the unit has a hung service in the background and needs to be rebooted.
    Thanked by:
    herculesinwyoming (05-14-2012) 
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by urbnimports View Post
    have you tried to reboot? if you have not done anything new to the playbook then there is no reason why apps would start crashing except maybe if the unit has a hung service in the background and needs to be rebooted.

I have rebooted but not a hard reset so ill try that and see if that helps

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

3 button reset your playbook
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry User

Default Overdrive keeps freezing

I'm having the same problem with Overdrive, my eReader app.
    It keeps hanging and freezing and I have to keep rebooting my PB to reset it.
    It's annoying. Hopefully the new OS 2.1 will be more robust.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mphillips828 View Post
    Hey, has anyone else been experiencing this lately? it was working great after the 2.0.1 update for awhile and the past couple days the browser and other apps will crash almost instantly and i cant use them!! its getting very annoying...is there anything i can do?

2.1 better be coming soon and fix this issue...sadly RIM really needs to find a way to have native apps like music or browser to not crash instantly...it looks bad on the company and product!

Sounds like it may be time for a hard reset. I find nd I have to do it about once a week.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
    Are you doing a hard reset or just a restart from the power menu?

I find things start acting wonky and I have to hard reset about once a week.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I have hard reset it now and its working better

But this is something they REALLY need to fix in 2.1, and absolutely cant happen when BB10 arrives, that would ruin BB10...its really frustrating and is something that shouldn't happen, 2.1 better fix this situation
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Clear browser cache --- corrupted browser cache has doomed many browsers (like Microsoft IE). Then take a note of whether it is the same websites and the same apps that keeps on crashing.

Are you sideloading android apps?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    PIN
    You can ask

I do observe more often crashes, mainly from Android apps but also from the browser or other apps that freeze since my update to 2.0.1. Hopefully, this will be fixed with 2.1. I perform on average 3 reboot per week.
    8900-9700-9780-9900
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,693 Global Posts

Since the update my browser has gone poof 2 times. Much more than that before.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    PIN
    to or black beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
    One of the CB forum members just created a app called Memory Eater that addresses that problem. It's .99 in App World. I tried it earlier today and so far it does what it says.
    There's a similar discussion in the Sideloading forum, I think.

Yes, RIM should address this and why should we pay for an app to overcome poor programming? Yeah, i agree, but it is what it is.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

-___- some people have this problem, other that.. always problems ! I never had any trouble with my PB os/apps because i update the way as recommended!

*backup your pb with DM !
    *Wipe your os (start with clean one !! Very important !!)
    *now your OS will be reloaded, and automatically updated to the highest os ! I never ever had trouble this way !
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen_13 View Post
    -___- some people have this problem, other that.. always problems ! I never had any trouble with my PB os/apps because i update the way as recommended!

*backup your pb with DM !
    *Wipe your os (start with clean one !! Very important !!)
    *now your OS will be reloaded, and automatically updated to the highest os ! I never ever had trouble this way !
    When u do a security wipe, does it also delete third-party apps/games or just data and media (pics, vids, etc)?

Ive downloaded a ton of apps and it would take days to re-dl them all again, unless theres some way to reload them through app world or DM that I'm not aware of...
    Last edited by NinjaB; 05-20-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Nokia classic brick! ---> LG flip >-----> BB Curve 8300 ---> Curve 8900 -----> Bold 9700 -----> Torch 9810 >--->----->-------> Z10!! (July '13) STL100-3 on 10.2.1.2141?! ...don't even know what to call it cuz it's like a brand new phone.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,693 Global Posts

Everything gone.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mphillips828 View Post
    I have hard reset it now and its working better

But this is something they REALLY need to fix in 2.1, and absolutely cant happen when BB10 arrives, that would ruin BB10...its really frustrating and is something that shouldn't happen, 2.1 better fix this situation
    After every operating system upgrade it is advisable to perform a cold reboot of the device. The memory manager in the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS is not perfect and the BlackBerry Android Player subsystem only complicates matters. Hopefully, BlackBerry 10 includes a boot-time option to disable/enable the BlackBerry Android Player subsystem.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

People have suggested numerous things. However, after a lot of trial and error, I have narrowed it down. Hard reset works, yes, but still doesn't fix the CAUSE in the long term... low free memory. For whatever reason QNX needs that space, like Windows temporary drive. It is not in a separate memory partition, it is sharing the same one with your apps! So you think you have 1gb free... NO! You need AT LEAST that much room just for QNX and your apps to handle the memory swaps and so on.

I totally PACKED my 16gb Playbook until I had maybe 70mb left. All heck broke loose! All sorts of weird symptoms, like fast battery drain on standby, crashing apps, broken wallpaper (not updating), podcast issues, lost/reset all my folder icons, android player not loading any apps, and so on. All because of no swap memory for QNX to handle basic tasks. You need AT LEAST 1gb free, take notice people!!! Ever wonder why the 16gb folks are affected more often? Wonder why it only happens after you use your Playbook for a while (and load it up with stuff)? We run out of space sooner! I learned the hard way!!! Just free up some memory and your Playbook will work beautifully again!

HERE IS WHAT FIXED MY ISSUES:

1. Check free memory space available

- I noticed Playbook needs about 1gb free memory to run properly
    - Android apps especially, bad memory management in Android Player
    - Go settings > about > hardware pop-down menu

2. Reboot

- Do a complete restart (either from shutdown options or manual key press)

3. Android apps are more trouble

- Noticed that mostly these issues occur with android apps
    - Also, tends to occur after running a few android apps after each other
    - Suspect that memory doesn't "clean up" properly after each app
    - Free memory gets lower and lower, until you can't launch apps

BOTTOM LINE:

Free up memory. You can't use up all your 16gb on a 16gb playbook. And don't expect Android apps to all work. They don't properly clean up memory after themselves.

MEMORY TIPS: Some apps use way more memory than others. For example, I have these apps and they GOBBLE my memory up:

a) Osmand offline maps (android)
    - option to download maps, works great, but eats up memory
    - you don't notice the memory used, and don't pay attention
    - pretty soon you lost 2gb because of offline maps and have no idea
    - keep track of your "offline" download content (like maps)

b) Zinio (native)
    - awesome app, great magazine content, got some subscriptions (free and paid)
    - however, keep track of your offline downloaded magazines
    - these are not "Kindle" books, they have WAY MORE data... color photos, videos
    - One amazing free download was digital copy of "Revolution" magazine, >500mb!!!

c) Podcasts
    - If you download podcasts, it gobbles up room, especially HD
    - I usually just play them using "play" button under description when on Wifi
    - If I am going to be away from Wifi, then download to your Playbook
    - Delete them to free up space

After you delete a bunch of stuff, REBOOT and problems will magically go away. At least mine did! Oh, and avoid the "Dead Battery" issue by making sure you plug in at 15% charge (don't let it drain too low) and check to make sure the lightning bolt appears on the battery icon. DO NOT charge on computer USB, it is not good enough when your screen is on (barely sufficient on standby).
    Last edited by edyb; 05-21-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: expletive substitution :-)
    Thanked by:
    canuck_67 (05-21-2012) 
    canuck_67 likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,693 Global Posts

I believe all OS's act this way when space, not memory, is down to almost nothing.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj1 View Post
    Are you doing a hard reset or just a restart from the power menu?

I find things start acting wonky and I have to hard reset about once a week.

I'm just doing a restart from the power button. Battery fully charged.
    Just vanilla, running 1 app at a time - no rooting or sideloading - nothing weird; I wouldn't know how!

32G model, Lots of storage still available, only had it a month.
    Sometimes other apps freeze too and I have to repower to reset everything then I'm OK for a while again.

It shouldn't be this difficult; I'm not impressed!

CrackBerry Newbie

Exclamation help

samee! i cant go on aps because it just freezes it wont let me go back its letting me go sideways and bring down the settings so whenever it happens i have to restart the whole thing can anybody help because this is getting really annoying thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Clear browser cache --- corrupted browser cache has doomed many browsers (like Microsoft IE). Then take a note of whether it is the same websites and the same apps that keeps on crashing.

Are you sideloading android apps?
    Thanks for this tip. I was about ready to throw my Playbook out. I have Kindle sideloaded, and it appears that it is what was causing all the other apps to crash. Hard reboot, haven't opened Kindle, device hasn't crashed for days. Before apps were crashing every few minutes.