New PB owner in Europe. PB orginated in North America.

1) I recently did a couple of wipes on my PB and still do not have "Podcasts" and "Slacker Radio" apps after doing so. Everything else is there after reinstalling from the "uninstalled" list in My World in the App World. Any ideas how I could get these back? Or, are they only available in North America?

2) When I pull up the BB App World on my PC, there are different apps available compared to pulling up the APP World on my PB. For example, BB is offering some cool games for free as a Christmas "gift". Are these only available on BB phones, only available in North America, etc.? Are there different App Worlds depending on where you live?
    12-19-11 04:43 AM
    1. I can't help with.
    But 2. Yeah Some are Phone only Apps.
    12-19-11 05:11 AM
    I'm also not sure but I think I've read some apps may not be available outside of the US/Canada/??? - copyright issues possibly. Hopefully, someone will post. If I recall some folks have fooled the re-initialization process by using proxies, I guess.
    12-19-11 09:10 AM
    If an app is available in App World for the Playbook when you access the site from your PC, and yet is not shown on your PB when you pull up App World on your PB, it means that the OS on your PB is not compatible with what App World is showing on your PC. Confused yet, well here's an example, I saw a Medical app, Pepid, available for the Playbook when I was surfing the site on my PC. So I go to my Playbook, access App World, and try to download it; I couldn't, because it was not found by my PB. So I tried doing a download to the PC and figured I would just synch it to the PB after the fact...no can do....why you ask? Well, it appears the Pepid app is compatible only with the 2.0 Beta OS .

So, it may just be that when you access App World from your PB, only those apps compatible with your current OS will show up as available for download.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 12-19-11 at 09:22 AM.
    12-19-11 09:20 AM
    Thanks. That makes sense. Then I'll have to wait until OS 2 is officially released. I don't really feel comfortable upgrading to a beta OS after reading some of the threads here on CB.
    12-21-11 02:14 AM
    Buffer93: I agree with your comment. I think much of these problems will be resolved when OS2 comes out and a large number of working Android apps will be more easy to side load.
    12-21-11 12:20 PM
    About Buffer93's first question, I too don't have Podcasts installed with my Playbook. Is there a way I can have it on my Playbook?
    Will re-installing the OS do the trick?
    12-29-11 06:42 AM
    Is the podcast app in app world like nfs, tetris etc?
    12-29-11 07:06 AM

1) I recently did a couple of wipes on my PB and still do not have "Podcasts" and "Slacker Radio" apps after doing so. Everything else is there after reinstalling from the "uninstalled" list in My World in the App World. Any ideas how I could get these back? Or, are they only available in North America?
    You can't get them back AFAIK. They aren't available outside NA and your Playbook "knows" it's in Europe by the same magic that it knows to price Apps in your local currency in AppWorld.

It is possible I suppose that a re-install after a wipe could work if you set-up a USA proxy on your WiFi during the initialisation. Go here if you want to try that: Free Proxy List - Public Proxy Servers (IP PORT)

2) When I pull up the BB App World on my PC, there are different apps available compared to pulling up the APP World on my PB. For example, BB is offering some cool games for free as a Christmas "gift". Are these only available on BB phones, only available in North America, etc.? Are there different App Worlds depending on where you live?
    Most (all?) of the "gift" apps were for BB phone, but Yes, there are different AppWorlds for different countries with different App availability and different prices.

Your PC is probably looking at the USA AppWorld, which is I think a super-set of the Apps. Some of them may not be available in your country, which is why you can't see them when you use your Playbook's AppWorld.
    12-29-11 08:48 AM
    Just a small update to this. I accidentally answered my own question.

I carelessly left my WiFi proxy on, so my PlayBook thought it was in the USA. Anyway, this morning my PB told me that OS1.08.6067 was available to download (again). So I let it update ... and I now have Slacker and Podcast on my UK Playbook.

Before you get all excited, Slacker only works whilst I keep the proxy on. Slacker checks the region you are in (presumably via your IP address) but runs so slowly over the proxy as to be unusable. It took 5 minutes to nearly load the Slacker homepage before I gave up!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-30-11 at 03:14 PM.
    12-30-11 03:12 PM
    Podcasts and Slacker Radio aren't available outside US. Slacker Radio doesn't work outside US, so there's there is no reason they make available the application.
    12-30-11 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD