Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default PB achingly slow

Let me start by sayingthat I LOVE my PB. Having said that, I hardly use it anymore as it is just achingly slow. I don't get it. With each update it seems to get slower. It is not just web browsing, it is everything, typing, deleting emails, new emails, switching screens, everything. The internet browser is incredibly slow as well. Is this just the way it is for everyone? Or am I a lucky one? If the latter, any suggestions to speed it up? I would love for it to be my "go to" tablet but for now, the iPad serves in that role even though I hate it. At least it functions well and as expected. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kurt
    CrackBerry Addict

Define slow. I have played with an archos android tablet, compare to the archos, the pb is really a smooth device to work with.
    Banned

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

That's just the way the playbook is. You'd best get an ipad or a nexus for better use
    CrackBerry Master

Default PB achingly slow

What kind I stupid answer is that get an ipad.

Wipe your playbook and start fresh. I have Zero issues with lag or it operating slowly on the latest update.
    Banned

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

It is not a stupid idea. An Ipad beats the PB in every aspect
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,438 Global Posts

My Playbook is faster than it ever has been since the latest update and I've had mine since May 2011. Try cleaning the "cookies" and then a battery icon reboot or hard reset. As for super mecha, I'm glad your enjoying your Apple device, but no need to answer a Playbook question with a ipad remark.....this is a Blackberry site.
    Banned

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I dont have an ipad, however i do see how i could be seen as a macfag
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by super mecha View Post
    Phrases like "the ipad beats x in every aspect" usually belong to people known as cawk-suckin'-apple-fanbois. ;-)

There you go, I fixed it for you.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts

It is not a stupid idea. An Ipad beats the PB in every aspect
    Troll alert.
    CrackBerry Master

Default Re: PB achingly slow

Got no such problems since May 2011 either and I reboot just for good housekeeping only occasionally. As suggested, try a hard reset or a security wipe.
    9000 > 9800 and now BB Z10 and 32GB PlayBook glued to my person!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Experience suggests clearing all web browser caches and performing a cold shut-down followed by a cold boot usually improves the tablet's performance. We also need an option to disable the BlackBerry Android Player subsystem at boot-up. The BlackBerry PlayBook should have been provisioned with 2-4GB RAM which has been acknowledged by the 2GB RAM BlackBerry Z10 but even with "only" 1GB RAM the tablet is smooth most of the time.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,567 Global Posts

Macfag

Yep it has issues yet and clearing etc helps sometimes. Sometimes I think as far typing lagging is due to predictions
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry User

The main reason I use my Playbook little is that it takes so long to boot up. Multiple, multiple minutes. Is that not the same for everyone? I would leave it on standby, but then it seems to use battery quickly and starts beeping at me at inopportune moments (such as when sleeping).

As per the original question, it does seem to be slower in operating now, too, freezing when typing etc. I will try some of the tips mentioned.
    BlackBerry Bold 9780 (little used currently), Samsung Galaxy S2 for personal use, iPhone 4S for work (no choice given)
    BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

7130v --> 8100 --> 9700 --> 9780 + PB
    --> Galaxy S2
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman2 View Post
    The main reason I use my Playbook little is that it takes so long to boot up. Multiple, multiple minutes. Is that not the same for everyone? I would leave it on standby, but then it seems to use battery quickly and starts beeping at me at inopportune moments (such as when sleeping).

As per the original question, it does seem to be slower in operating now, too, freezing when typing etc. I will try some of the tips mentioned.
    Bott up time, don't care. Turn it on go pee or something and it's on. I've left mine on 2 days without charging and the battery was down 6%. Not sure why yours dies so fast. Mine is slower but not horrible and typing is good but slow at times.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Master

I think its been mentioned on here already....

1. Backup your device using the Desktop software
    2. Do a security wipe
    3. Restore your backup

I did this last week and my PlayBook has been muuuuuch better. WiFi both natively and through Bridge has improved. The keyboard isn't glitchy. Browser is faster.

Try it.
    Not a hippy, but I do appreciate peace, love, and happiness.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,637 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kill_9 View Post
    Experience suggests clearing all web browser caches and performing a cold shut-down followed by a cold boot usually improves the tablet's performance.
    For those that aren't all technically inclined here, perhaps explain what you mean by "cold shut-down"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,637 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman2 View Post
    I leave mine on. I have a rapid charger by my bedside. The PlayBook sits in it at night and charges and I simply don't turn it off.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    I leave mine on. I have a rapid charger by my bedside. The PlayBook sits in it at night and charges and I simply don't turn it off.
    Same here. Although to speed up my pb I clear browser cache and make sure certain android apps close properly. I use ghost commander to do that. But there are others. Although I find some don't close themselves and slow down the system. Rebooting it is easier but takes a bit longer.
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    CrackBerry Newbie

My experience is, that the playbook os itself runs smoothly (scrolling, typing, app-switching, etc.), but there are some apps (built in as well as third party) which seem to have problems regarding the usage of cpu and ram, especially when it comes to using android apps (but running android apps plus multiple apps minimized will demand much cpu time, I guess). Moreover, there are apps (e.g the music player), which aren't polished concerning suppleness imo. Seen from this angle, the app world is simply horrible, but maybe that's only a question of network connection from germany
    So, if some apps don't run smoothly, this may increase the impression of a device running slowly. But I would agree with backing up and cleaning the playbook. I for one don't have big issues, but I'm not a power user, I don't have hundreds of apps, just a few native and sideloaded android apps. I configured the system to stop apps when minimized, so I guess there aren't many background processes running.
    I assume that a lot of issues can be solved with the BBOS10 (regarding usage of hardware by system processes and apps) and with stricter guidelines for app development (which are already set for BBOS10 apps).
    It's a question of time to get better, I think. I'm a windows phone user and I got used to wating for improvements...