I signed up for the beta and got the update. It took *hours* to download and install (and I have a 10Mb broadband link). In fact it took three or four attempts to finish properly.

Now I have it, all I seem to see is an updated desktop. I guess there are under the hood improvements on the browser, etc, but there's no native email, which is the big feature I'm waiting for.

So, my question is - what's all the fuss about? Why did I bother?
    01-11-12 03:18 AM
    Very good question. Are you a developer? Do you need early access to updated APIs and the Android Player? Because if not, then you missed the whole point of this being a *Developer Preview* (and not a general beta). None of the cool features being demo'd right now at CES are enabled (exception: The Android Player is there, but not obvious).

For me, the reason I use 6149 is that it supports bluetooth keyboards and also A2DP for streaming music to bluetooth audio devices. Otherwise, you're better off sticking with version 1.xx since it's still the only fully supported version. Then upgrade to 2.0 when it's formally released in another few weeks.

RCK
    01-11-12 04:09 AM
    As rkennedy01 says, there's likely no utility in the beta for you.

To forestall the next question: you'll have to wait until it's 24h after you registered for it, then do a Desktop Manager "debrick" to restore 1.0.8. That will lose any data you have installed in it currently, and your settings etc, but you can of course re-enter the same BlackBerry ID when you start it up the first time after that and you'll still have access to your apps in App World. If "debrick" is unfamiliar to you, check the registration page for the beta and there should be a link to instructions showing how to downgrade from it.
    01-11-12 08:07 AM
    I signed up for the beta and got the update. It took *hours* to download and install (and I have a 10Mb broadband link). In fact it took three or four attempts to finish properly.

Now I have it, all I seem to see is an updated desktop. I guess there are under the hood improvements on the browser, etc, but there's no native email, which is the big feature I'm waiting for.

Everything went smooth for me, 3 times. If you don't want to upgrade you don't have to. It's all your choice, noone makes you update. It is a beta and it's not fully functional. Whatever you have to about, we don't care.

As a sidenote, you can go back to os1 as soon as 24 hours have passed.
    01-11-12 09:47 AM
    but there's no native email, which is the big feature I'm waiting for.

So, my question is - ....Why did I bother?
    good question, why did you bother? i dont mean to seem rude, but in all honesty it clearly states on the signup page for the developer preview, that this version doesnt have email etc built in. so why download it then say `it has no email`?
    Thunderbuck and ridesno159 like this.
    01-11-12 10:04 AM
    One of the big reasons I downloaded OS2.0 beta (even though I'm not a developer) is the new folders framework that allows me to sort my apps. The previous panels UI was not very good (since I have quite a few games + apps). I can access my applications much faster with the OS2.) UI. I also find that the browser in general is quite speedy on OS2.0 even though there are some bugs to be worked out...
    01-11-12 12:25 PM
    Well, I didn't expect to get flamed - albeit in a gentle way

I am well used to playing with beta software, even though I am not a developer (but I can handle the Unix command line without fear). It is often interesting to look at betas get an insight into what's coming down the line. I obviously didn't read carefully enough and missed the note about end user features. My post was really in the hope that I had missed something and that there were things that would be interesting to explore - perhaps I was too provactive!

Thanks for the info - I don't think I will downgrade. I haven't found any drawbacks so far and I might well use A2DP and see if my BT keyboard will work.

Also look into Android apps but I haven't yet looked at how complex that is go get into it.

Thanks for the feedback.
    01-11-12 12:33 PM
    Also look into Android apps but I haven't yet looked at how complex that is go get into it.
    there are already some android apps in appworld which you can try, for example pool break lite, thats free and theres a paid version, im sure there are others too, jus i know that ones android and its free and who doesnt like pool lol
    01-11-12 12:39 PM
    You could always load the Android email. You certainly dont have to load the beta.
    01-11-12 12:41 PM
    Debricking may not work either. I did the process today. It restored 1.0.8 but when I went through the initial setup on the device it gave me no choice and said "There's an update available" and away it went with 2.0!
    01-11-12 06:47 PM
    Debricking may not work either. I did the process today. It restored 1.0.8 but when I went through the initial setup on the device it gave me no choice and said "There's an update available" and away it went with 2.0!
    And that's why the OS 2.0 beta enrollment times out after 24 hours. Wait till yours has timed out and OS 2.0 will stop showing as available for your PIN.
    01-11-12 07:05 PM
    Well, I didn't expect to get flamed - albeit in a gentle way

I am well used to playing with beta software, even though I am not a developer (but I can handle the Unix command line without fear). It is often interesting to look at betas get an insight into what's coming down the line. I obviously didn't read carefully enough and missed the note about end user features. My post was really in the hope that I had missed something and that there were things that would be interesting to explore - perhaps I was too provactive!

Thanks for the info - I don't think I will downgrade. I haven't found any drawbacks so far and I might well use A2DP and see if my BT keyboard will work.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I love the OS2 Beta (the latest one anyway) and wouldn't go back. Why?
    - new UI layout and ability to customise it
    - Android apps, mostly sideloaded (I use Kindle, IMDB, eBay and others all the time!) but now there are plenty in App World - search for "handster"
    - Browser is faster and stable (previous beta release was buggy)
    - Browser has Reader mode, very handy
    - A2DP bluetooth streaming - I'm not using it yet but my Nokia BH-905i are on the way!

I'm probably forgetting stuff because I've been using OS2 Beta since it came out so can't recall OS 1 very well anymore

My question is, why bother with OS 1?
    01-11-12 08:23 PM
    My camera and videos do not work in 2.0 ? I tried restoring now 5 times. So back to 1.0
    01-11-12 08:32 PM
    Thanks for all the input - I think I have the answer now - it is ridiculously easy to load Android apps with the DDPB installer. I have installed Kaiten to give me stand alone email and a few other tools, including the Honeycomb launcher. The only issue is that none of these show up on the desktop. I have to run Pool Break Lite - which asks me whether I want to open it with QNX or Honeycomb. If I choose the latter, I get a desktop with the apps I have installed and some standard stuff on it. From there I can run my android apps.

I have had a good hunt round can and can't get any clues as to why they don't appear on the desk top. I've tried rebooting and a hard reset to no avail. The only vaguely possible clue is that I installed Pool Break Lite from the BB apps store before I installed any Android apps but I can't think why that should cause this symptom. It's not a major problem as I have a work around and it *might* only be a month until the formal release comes out (fingers crossed).

I'm really glad I took the opportunity to pick up the PB in the recent sale - pity I didn't go the whole hog and get a 64gb model (but they were still pretty pricey here in the UK).
    01-12-12 03:59 PM
    you will need to use blackberry tools to convert apks to bars, then sign your bar files with a developer certificate in order for your Android apps to show in the home screen... this forum has instructions.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...easier-662772/
    Thanks for all the input - I think I have the answer now - it is ridiculously easy to load Android apps with the DDPB installer. I have installed Kaiten to give me stand alone email and a few other tools, including the Honeycomb launcher. The only issue is that none of these show up on the desktop. I have to run Pool Break Lite - which asks me whether I want to open it with QNX or Honeycomb. If I choose the latter, I get a desktop with the apps I have installed and some standard stuff on it. From there I can run my android apps.

I have had a good hunt round can and can't get any clues as to why they don't appear on the desk top. I've tried rebooting and a hard reset to no avail. The only vaguely possible clue is that I installed Pool Break Lite from the BB apps store before I installed any Android apps but I can't think why that should cause this symptom. It's not a major problem as I have a work around and it *might* only be a month until the formal release comes out (fingers crossed).

I'm really glad I took the opportunity to pick up the PB in the recent sale - pity I didn't go the whole hog and get a 64gb model (but they were still pretty pricey here in the UK).
    01-12-12 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD