Personally dont care about OS update as long as I can have these running....

a legit, fully working skype (particularly video call)
    plus a multi-format media player (rmvb supported perhaps?)

if these can be achieved, it still is a decent tablet tbh (at its massive discount price of course)

it will be a perfect travel item considering its hardware quality but without skype...???
    09-04-13 12:33 PM
    Blackberry do not care.

They needed a reason to shut down anything Playbook related, so they got rid of all stock by saying BB10 will arrive, then said the Playbook will not run BB10.

IF they remotely felt bad about letting down their customers, they'd forget about BB10 and at the very least update the current PB OS.
    ^ You cannot possibly say the PB cannot run a better browser, have BBM, better support for video codecs, and Skype?

* Kalem player (excellent for playing almost all videos)
    * Oragami browser, proof the browser can be improved
    * BBM, works via bridge just not independently.
    * Skype works on Z10, should be able to work on the PB too.

None of the improvements are a stretch, the Playbook hardware can support many of the improvements, I understand the "fake" excuse of BB10 not running, wheres the reason for not giving us PB OS 2.2 maintenance release, or did they try but fail at updating that too.
    FF22, El Bori and dmlis like this.
    09-04-13 12:59 PM
    BlackBerry has stop supporting their Playbook months ago and are currently seeking a buyer for the company. I think you need stop worrying about application development for the Playbook as it's a dead device that works great as a door stop!
    Asturcon likes this.
    09-04-13 07:10 PM
    A serious question...Why hasn't a developer made a Skype like app to make video calls? Aren't their already messenger services like ebuddy around so why cannot an app be made? Why hasn't any developer tried?
    09-04-13 07:37 PM
    A serious question...Why hasn't a developer made a Skype like app to make video calls? Aren't their already messenger services like ebuddy around so why cannot an app be made? Why hasn't any developer tried?
    Huh? There's video calling on the PlayBook now, built-in.
    09-05-13 05:18 AM
    its only available from PB to PB, we need a common, cross platform video calling apps
    09-05-13 11:18 AM
    its only available from PB to PB, we need a common, cross platform video calling apps
    Get yourself a Nexus or iPAD and call it day. There is no longer any "real" development for the PB anymore. It was a great device when it first came out now it's gonzo.
    09-05-13 03:26 PM
    Skype doesn't allow third parties to develop apps using their service (possibly text based IM, certainly not video chat), and so no one else can make a Skype app. Using an alternative service is no good for people who already use Skype and whose contacts all use Skype. Other people don't want to change their service of choice because one guy they know uses a PlayBook.
    09-05-13 06:00 PM
    Wrong. It's also available from PB to any BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 06:49 PM
    well.. thanks for correcting me... but pretty much useless if I want to video call PC users....
    09-08-13 05:05 PM
    I'm in no rush to install this update and as far as Skype on the PlayBook goes .. surely someone could reverse engineer the Skype messaging protocol and build a compatible client.
    09-08-13 09:57 PM