hi all just installed os2 and trying out a few things.first off not sure where all the apps are.says i have 68 installed and i see msybe 10.also with only browser open shows 228mb free.is that normal?i have multitasking in pause.with email running its even less.wil, the high ram usage affect battery???
    12-22-11 09:48 AM
    Ignore the "68" count... it includes some internal stuff that presumably won't count as apps in the final release.

The low memory is typical, for now, apparently because the Android player runs at startup and can't be disabled.

Using "Paused" mode does not affect memory usage directly in any way.

High RAM usage would affect battery insofar as it means you've got more stuff running. This is presumably one of the reasons some people are reporting worse battery life under 2.0. Of course, others are reporting better battery life, so who knows yet.

Keep in mind: 2.0 is not intended for regular users, and is missing most of the real features of the expected 2.0 release. It is NOT a "beta" of the 2.0 features itself... it is mostly a beta of the Android player, and a few NDK-related features, intended for developers and thus deliberately stripped of many things real users care about, and with no real effort to make it highly stable and usable for them.

If you use 2.0, and find things you don't like... go back to 1.0.8 and please don't complain. It was never intended for you to use, sorry...
    highos, Foppa_21 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-22-11 10:53 AM
    My big concern in general is the RAM usage of some of the apps on the PlayBook. I know the multi-tasking works differently in the PlayBook OS v. webOS, but on my Touchpad, I can easily get up to 15+ cards before it starts shutting down applications for low memory. On the PlayBook, the max I have gotten is around 10 apps, and even though I'm choosing the apps that have low RAM usage (i.e. not the bridge apps). What I find too is that some of the webworks apps take up a surprising amount of RAM even though it's kinda basic. Hopefully with the updated developer tools, the Dev's can do some better memory optimization on some of the memory hog apps.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-22-11 12:07 PM
    Does anyone know if there may be debugging processes running in the background for RIM to use and collect data from?
    12-22-11 12:14 PM
    Does anyone know if there may be debugging processes running in the background for RIM to use and collect data from?
    I remember that on The HP touchpad, it logged everything, and there was a way for you to disable that and increase speed.
    12-22-11 06:50 PM
    i wasnt complaining just asking if ram usage was normal.seems like it is.thnx for replies
    12-22-11 07:10 PM
    Praying there will be an option to disable the android player upon final release. It's buggy and all the android apps so far suck, I'd rather just not have it.
    12-22-11 08:58 PM
    I expect the OS2 beta contains quite a bit of debugging/analysis code and perhaps even debugging symbols. That could take up quite a lot of RAM. It's a developer beta, after all.
    12-22-11 08:59 PM
    My big concern in general is the RAM usage of some of the apps on the PlayBook. I know the multi-tasking works differently in the PlayBook OS v. webOS, but on my Touchpad, I can easily get up to 15+ cards before it starts shutting down applications for low memory. On the PlayBook, the max I have gotten is around 10 apps, and even though I'm choosing the apps that have low RAM usage (i.e. not the bridge apps). What I find too is that some of the webworks apps take up a surprising amount of RAM even though it's kinda basic. Hopefully with the updated developer tools, the Dev's can do some better memory optimization on some of the memory hog apps.
    Is this on OS2? Because I'm on OS1 and opened about 20 on my Playbook. And every thing was still running fine.
    12-23-11 02:51 AM
    Yes only os 2 the ram usage is so big, don't know why but it is.
    I think this will be fixed till Feb, because I don't see anything in the betas that could use up so much more ram compared to os1.
    They have to test new features and such things so lots of stuff just isn't optimized
    12-23-11 03:34 AM
    Is this on OS2? Because I'm on OS1 and opened about 20 on my Playbook. And every thing was still running fine.
    No, I'm on OS 1 (but taking plunge on OS 2.0 while I'm on vacation next week). Would you be able to list out the apps you have open on ur pb? I find that some apps like the music app, the bridge app, any of the Polar Mobile apps, App World, Docs to Go, etc. use way more RAM than necessary. At times, I would be down to like 70mb left in RAM and the PB starts going haywire...
    12-23-11 12:14 PM
    As some have pointed out, the extra ram usage in 2.0 is mainly due to the Android Runtime always being loaded. The device is essentially running 2 operating systems at the same time, hence not unexpected. The alternative for Android apps would be (like in the leaked 1.0.7 Android player), to start the player only when needed. Then you're back to waiting an extra minute (?) for your Android Calculator app to start.
    12-24-11 01:33 AM
    the main problems with the beta OS 2.0 is just that, is a Beta OS meaning the debugging system is working fully, and as others mentioned the Android Runtime is running at start up right now
    12-24-11 01:36 AM
    Yes there is. I found it in one of the folders but I can't find it again...it was writing a file there every second. Yup every second. I'll look for it again today, my Playbook is not with me right now.
    I was browsing through the folder/file system with the Files and Folders app.
    12-24-11 08:48 AM
    Just to clarify what melb_me is saying, there are various logs of information being recorded, as occurs in pretty much any real OS these days.

There is no evidence or reason to think, however, that RIM is is "collecting" that information from our PlayBooks. I rather suspect they're not, since doing so without letting us know and agree to it would come back to seriously bite them in the arse.

melb_me, I assume you're running a rooted PlayBook, and were looking under /var/log?
    12-24-11 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD