Maybe they might do something clever and release it on Feb 20th
    bitek likes this.
    02-06-12 08:37 AM
    I misspelt 'account' in an email to a client...)
    It missed misspelt too I get it as an error here, but it may be my language selected in the dictionary.
    02-06-12 09:26 AM
    perhaps all speculation can be put on hold until March 1st.
    If OS2 by then.....
    02-06-12 10:26 AM
    why would they need another fart app to get the os out
    or lets say.. another japanese model picture app like we saw this morning.
    this isnt going to be easy to get trough peoples mind that the playbook os is better than ios or android so they have to play their cards properly on that matter. they arent waiting for more apps to release the os. they just waiting for the right time to make more hype about it.
    perhaps also they want to show the complete thing to the big developpers before having some other trash review by some newspaper who should stick to fact and not rumors..
    02-06-12 10:47 AM
    I doubt we'll ever see it!
    02-06-12 11:07 AM
    Not @ Devcon (as supposed earlier)

Mail from RIM to attendees :

When you pick up your BlackBerry PlayBook, you'll have the option to choose from one of two devices:
    • A 16GB BlackBerry PlayBook with the latest publically available BlackBerry Tablet OS
    • A 16GB BlackBerry PlayBook featuring a Developer Beta version of PlayBook OS 2.0*

* The Developer Beta version of PlayBook OS 2.0 contains support for developers to test their applications against the following runtimes:
    • Runtime for Android™ Apps
    • Adobe� AIR� 3.0
    • Native API 2.0
    • BlackBerry� WebWorks™
    Please note: the Developer Beta version of PlayBook OS 2.0 is intended to allow for testing of applications, but it will not include any new end-user features.

If you choose a BlackBerry PlayBook featuring a Developer Beta version of PlayBook OS 2.0, you will be required to sign a Beta License Agreement before receiving the device.

... did I wrote that elsewhere ? ... yes I think so.
    02-06-12 11:53 AM
    That's all correct. I collected my free pb today, gone for a stock one. Be a nice gift perhaps.

Still giving out developer beta, however keynote is 10.30 local time so we may know more soon :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-06-12 04:49 PM
    I'll believe it when a bridge update comes out first.
    02-06-12 08:25 PM
    Not gonna happen this week. Sorry
    02-06-12 10:59 PM
    Personally, I am not too stressed about when it arrives, but RIM will be shooting itself in the foot (or elsewhere) if they do not beat the release of the Windows 8 Consumer Beta/Preview and the iPad 3. The Windows 8 beta is a definite for later this month and, although still vaporware at the moment, an iPad 3 will pop up at some point. RIM really can't afford to get lost in the shuffle of "bigger" announcements. Windows 8 is going to get a lot of justifiable press since it is both a tablet OS and the next OS for the 90+% desktop market, and the iPad 3 will have the iSheep and/or iLemmings (take your pick) out in force.
    02-07-12 12:14 AM
    yo, its the 7th, where is os 2???
    02-07-12 01:41 AM
    Personally, I am not too stressed about when it arrives, but RIM will be shooting itself in the foot (or elsewhere) if they do not beat the release of the Windows 8 Consumer Beta/Preview and the iPad 3. The Windows 8 beta is a definite for later this month and, although still vaporware at the moment, an iPad 3 will pop up at some point. RIM really can't afford to get lost in the shuffle of "bigger" announcements. Windows 8 is going to get a lot of justifiable press since it is both a tablet OS and the next OS for the 90+% desktop market, and the iPad 3 will have the iSheep and/or iLemmings (take your pick) out in force.
    I honestly have my doubts about how Win8 competes with the PlayBook, exactly. From everything I've seen, even running on ARM devices Win8 is going to require bigger, more robust (and more expensive) hardware. Yes, enterprise will be interested, and yes, Win8 will take some of that business, but there's also something to be said about a smaller, more efficient device, too.

Microsoft is facing a serious problem with Win8. They're moving to a radically different UI, and there's very little reason for existing desktop/laptop users to move up from Win7. For the last 20 years, you could say "big deal, Microsoft will still make their Windows sales through PC OEM units", but I think Steve Jobs was right. We really ARE moving into the "Post-PC" era. For the holdouts, Win7 is essentially the new XP: it's going to be found on desktops for a LOOONG time.

And I'll make my fearless prediction here: iPad 3 isn't going to meet expectations. It won't "flop"; Apple's built enough goodwill and desirability that it could be truly awful, and it would still sell at least through this generation. And I'll admit, the iPad 3 isn't likely to be "awful".

I don't think Apple has a compelling feature to pin this new one on, though. We're hearing better processor, sure, and better display, but if that's it, an awful lot of customers are going to go "meh".
    02-07-12 02:03 AM
    I just got an email from one of the tat guys who told me I should check out devcon because there is a lot of tat stuff that's going to be showed.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-07-12 02:12 AM
    TAT are great at showing off, let's hope they/rim deliver...
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-07-12 02:50 AM
    I honestly have my doubts about how Win8 competes with the PlayBook, exactly. From everything I've seen, even running on ARM devices Win8 is going to require bigger, more robust (and more expensive) hardware. Yes, enterprise will be interested, and yes, Win8 will take some of that business, but there's also something to be said about a smaller, more efficient device, too.

Microsoft is facing a serious problem with Win8. They're moving to a radically different UI, and there's very little reason for existing desktop/laptop users to move up from Win7. For the last 20 years, you could say "big deal, Microsoft will still make their Windows sales through PC OEM units", but I think Steve Jobs was right. We really ARE moving into the "Post-PC" era. For the holdouts, Win7 is essentially the new XP: it's going to be found on desktops for a LOOONG time.

And I'll make my fearless prediction here: iPad 3 isn't going to meet expectations. It won't "flop"; Apple's built enough goodwill and desirability that it could be truly awful, and it would still sell at least through this generation. And I'll admit, the iPad 3 isn't likely to be "awful".

I don't think Apple has a compelling feature to pin this new one on, though. We're hearing better processor, sure, and better display, but if that's it, an awful lot of customers are going to go "meh".
    1) Windows 8 does not require anything more in the way of hardware. That was a fact with Windows 7 which was targeted to enterprise and has gained more market share in that sector over the past couple quarters than RIM. It is designed for the same ARM processors and for the Intel x86 market. Like Windows Phone, Windows 8 is also already drawing a lot of positive press from unlikely circles.
    2) Yes, Windows 8 is different but the fact is they are essentially giving it away (for a seven month trial) as a nearly finished product targeted at consumers. By what I have seen, it is also markedly faster than Windows 7 on peoples' existing hardware and you will be able to turn off most of the new interface. Of course, they are banking on the fact that much like Windows 7, there will be a huge number of beta downloads, and that many people are too lazy to turn off the new interface.Given the number of people who have downloaded the developer's beta, there is no reason to doubt a lot of downloads. Courtesy of the smartphone and tablet markets, more people are also now comfortable with touch interfaces. You can't get better marketing for your major entry in the consumer tablet market than to let people use it on their existing computers for free.
    3) Apple could release a single core processor tablet with 512 meg of RAM and a VGA screen and it will still be successful. It will also still dominate the headlines. For that matter, they could put their logo on an old HP calculator and people would talk about it for weeks, and line up to buy it.
    4) Regardless of what people around here may think, RIM is not in hhat good of shape financially. It cannot afford to get its tablet reboot swamped by the PR machines of two companies that are close to having more money from the interest on their cash in hand than RIM has remaining cash. Google is also still teasing a Google branded Nexus tablet. While it would almost certainly suck, they (again) have the money to make a major release from RIM become of footnote on the back page.

My point, which I think was missed, is that RIM cannot afford to hamstring its own products by getting them to the market when no one is paying attention. Yes Playbook users will pay attention but, face it, that is not a very large contingent. Regardless of whether Windows 8 will be successful (it probably will) or the iPad 3 will be successful (it definitely will), what will draw media, and by default consumer, interest? Windows 8 and an iPad or a new OS from RIM and a mythical 3G Playbook? Windows is on 90+% of home and business computers and the iPad made the tablet something with which even one's grandparents are familiar.
    02-07-12 02:54 AM
    Post PC is a desparate atempt of a slogan to get some of Microsofts long held mass consumer base, ive tryed 3 droid tabs and the ipad , i am not impressed , Playbook is my last try at post pc device before i admit to myself nothing can replace my desktop environment (windows 8 tab, here i come), but so far so good for playbook i just need usb host as it is supposed to have, proper gps , access to the sensors, and the rest of what comes with OS 2.0 to be convinced there can be a post pc device
    02-07-12 05:26 AM
    3) Apple could release a single core processor tablet with 512 meg of RAM and a VGA screen and it will still be successful. It will also still dominate the headlines. For that matter, they could put their logo on an old HP calculator and people would talk about it for weeks, and line up to buy it.
    On that note, I think we have a leak for the iphone 5.

*This thing is going to sell millions of units.
    dave1701 likes this.
    02-07-12 05:33 AM
    I see why we dont have a update now.Its just not quite there yet it seems.Im thinking after the 17th for sure now which is ok by me.I just want it right when it gets here.
    02-07-12 05:38 AM
    On that note, I think we have a leak for the iphone 5.

*This thing is going to sell millions of units.
    OMG Its gorgeous! where do I line up to get one?

PSYCH!

If I were rich, I'd fly me to London to get the new London the day it launches!
    02-07-12 05:38 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD