Hi there!

I am planning to buy a tablet to use the internet, check apps for news/weather/shopping/restos, play the latest games, Youtube, make notes, watch my movies whilst on my holiday.

I'm looking at the Playbook and with the new 2.0 OS is it worth it? I have some serious queries & concerns if the Playbook is worth the plunge and worth the money.

1. Can it send any files via bluetooth to any bluetooth-enabled device?
    2. Does it wake-up/start-up really quick like the iPad or those new Android 4.0 tablets?
    3. Can it play on its own .avi & .mkv files without the use of an app?
    4. Can it auto-connect to a neafby wifi if available?
    5. Can i now access/download a handful of Android apps like what i have heard? If yes is this via the App World or as a different folder or "main" app?
    6. How many hours can it do if with just "minimal" use? (surfung the net, downloading an app whilst watching a movie or playing games)
    7. Can it do multitasking like the iPad or an Android 4.0 tablet?
    8. Can one easily access running apps and easily cancle/stop them?
    9. Is there a notification bar (like Android) to access common settings, etc.

I believe these questions are really important in helping me decide what tab to choose.

Shall i stick to the tried-and-tested Android 4/4.1 tablet like the Nexus 7 et al or can the Playbook do all those ones i mentioned above?

Please advice.
    09-05-12 09:35 AM
    "I see what you did there".

No to all!

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    gino_76ph likes this.
    09-05-12 09:53 AM
    Hope I'm mostly right.

1. Can it send any files via bluetooth to any bluetooth-enabled device?
    no, impossible

2. Does it wake-up/start-up really quick like the iPad or those new Android 4.0 tablets?
    Switch on: 3:30 Minutes(!) Standby to ready: instantly. Next OS version 2.1 beta was reported to be cold start 1:20(?), but its not final -> can change

3. Can it play on its own .avi & .mkv files without the use of an app?
    .avi can contain different video formats, so on any device it's more complicated to answer that. mkv don't know an answer

5. Can i now access/download a handful of Android apps like what i have heard? If yes is this via the App World or as a different folder or "main" app?
    Some via App world, others more tricky and via "sideload", but it's not THAT complicated. Android apps are running with very different result and stability. Check before buying, if your favorite app would run. Next OS 2.1 Beta seems to be a lot better in Android emulation.

6. How many hours can it do if with just "minimal" use? (surfung the net, downloading an app whilst watching a movie or playing games)
    video, games are really NOT minimal use, are they? Surf: maybe 4-5 hours?

7. Can it do multitasking like the iPad or an Android 4.0 tablet?
    The answer is "some sort of", anybody else? I think, nornmally an app runs until another app comes to fullscreen mode. There's a setting to allow apps to continue running even if in background. Not sure, how that works in reality.

8. Can one easily access running apps and easily cancle/stop them?
    no task manager there. But changing from one to the other app is easy. End is easy like closing a window. "Pause" is not directly possible. Anyone knows better?

9. Is there a notification bar (like Android) to access common settings, etc.
    Yes, something better and different.

Ray
    Last edited by ryacht; 09-05-12 at 10:35 AM.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    09-05-12 10:31 AM
    Here troll, come on boy
    09-05-12 11:03 AM
    Oh, unloved he is?

Weird, seems to be facts-bound, just learning slow ...
    09-05-12 11:40 AM
    No troll here. Just asking for advice.

Why can't the Playbook send files via bluetooth to any 3rd-party device? Even a Symbian phone can do the task to an Android phone and vice versa.

I'm aware .avi & .mkv file format support is a bit tricky. But again, if it's an "ordinary" (no Dolby Digital HD sound, etc.) file downloaded from say iTunes or a 3rd-party website would it play? Yes or No? (The PDF file i saw on the website does say AVI & MKV file for the Playbook OS is supported) And where do i access those files?

Can i drag n' drop files from my Mac to my Playbook with ease and with no help of a 1st-party or 3rd-party app or software?

Would the notifications bar be like Android wherein you can change settings, turn-off bluetooth, etc.?

And about the issue of Android apps the answer i got is a bit unclear. How and where exactly do i download Android apps? Is there a separate Android "player" app to click and then /browse/download apps & games like Google Play?

I need to have the confidence of owning a Playbook and be able to say "I can do that task with ease and with no problems".
    Last edited by gino_76ph; 09-05-12 at 12:50 PM.
    09-05-12 12:23 PM
    Considering your first and last post in this thread...ahh...ya if there was a poll asking if you were a troll I would vote yes. (Oh looks like you fixed your last post. Good for you)

Yes you can retrieve files from you BlackBerry phone to your PlayBook. How do you do this from Android tablet to phone?

You download video files from iTunes in MP4 format (which the PlayBook plays perfectly). I don't know any other tablet out there that supports AVI and MKV files out of the box as extensive as the PlayBook does.

Yes drag and drop passing files to and from the PlayBook is so easy. Just by IP Address. No need to connect it to your computer and best of all No iTunes required.

Yes to changing the settings. There is no need to locate the "Settings" icon that you may have moved to some other folder. Its always there at the top.

Regarding the Android player I would first stick with downloading the apps from App World. Its clean and seamless. You don't even know they are Android Apps. If you want to get adventurous you can sideload them. If that interests you just search through the forums for sideloading. It too is very easy.

If you are looking for confidence for owning a PlayBook while comparing it to Android the best bet is to borrow someones. Don't come to a BlackBerry Fan site to ask us which is better for you. Android, iOS, and BlackBerry each have their pros and cons. None can do everything that you want with 'ease'. Best advice.....Buy them all! (or just buy a laptop).
    gino_76ph likes this.
    09-05-12 01:24 PM
    No troll here. Just asking for advice.

1.Why can't the Playbook send files via bluetooth to any 3rd-party device? Even a Symbian phone can do the task to an Android phone and vice versa.

2. I'm aware .avi & .mkv file format support is a bit tricky. But again, if it's an "ordinary" (no Dolby Digital HD sound, etc.) file downloaded from say iTunes or a 3rd-party website would it play? Yes or No? (The PDF file i saw on the website does say AVI & MKV file for the Playbook OS is supported) And where do i access those files?

3. Can i drag n' drop files from my Mac to my Playbook with ease and with no help of a 1st-party or 3rd-party app or software?

4.Would the notifications bar be like Android wherein you can change settings, turn-off bluetooth, etc.?

5.And about the issue of Android apps the answer i got is a bit unclear. How and where exactly do i download Android apps? Is there a separate Android "player" app to click and then /browse/download apps & games like Google Play?

6.I need to have the confidence of owning a Playbook and be able to say "I can do that task with ease and with no problems".
    in the main, my advice to you is go and read, research yourself, and then return with questions that demonstrate an informed interest.
    anyhoo:
    1. no idea, not tried
    2. specifically, no idea. but ,I have banged a lot of various media file formats into my PB and it plays every one without a hitch.
    3. you can in various windows OS versions, no reason to expect osx any different. even better, your pb can be a network drive.
    4. yes, same-same-but-different
    5. the answer is necessarily unclear; ported android apps appear in appworld, other ones are potentially available.
    6. I need a bunch of things, but I'll refer you back to my initial comment.
    enjoy
    gino_76ph likes this.
    09-05-12 01:36 PM
    Ryach has been played ^^

And OP, isnt it strange that all your queries were about stuff that the PB cant do, and users are kinda upset about it?

I only read about 5 points because i like to help other members, but i don't like to be mocked...

You don't want a PB, you want an iPad or any other device. Not the PB.

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    gino_76ph likes this.
    09-05-12 02:06 PM
    Playbooks are awesome
    09-05-12 02:34 PM
    So let me get this right...

playbook can run playbook and android apps and games

ipad can't run android apps and games, can only run ipad

android devices only run android apps and games..

so isn't the choice simple?
    PedroBorgas and gino_76ph like this.
    09-05-12 03:38 PM
    Not really. The PB can run SOME android apps and games. It may or may not run the android apps that you want to run.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    09-05-12 04:03 PM
    What i don't understand is if say i want an app found on Android. Been to the website (via browsing apps on the App World) and the app is not there. And from what i heard that repackaging apps can also be a bit tricky because of the issue of "Is it compatible or playable for the Playbook"?. If the app is not on the website then surely that would tell me it will not also be available on PB's App World itself. Am i right?

I just feel the Playbook is being sold at a very bargain price and now with Playbook OS 2.0 (or 2.0.1 now i think) and thought of if the Playbook can do most if not all the task i wanted (just like Android) then...is it worth the plunge?

Also, how can i transfer files to my PB even without an actual USB cable but only via wifi?
    09-05-12 04:41 PM
    So let me get this right...

playbook can run playbook and android apps and games

ipad can't run android apps and games, can only run ipad

android devices only run android apps and games..

so isn't the choice simple?
    Ahah,

I wish it was that simple... Most of the android apps don�t run in the PB (but some of them do, of course).
    gino_76ph likes this.
    09-05-12 04:42 PM
    dear gino,
    would you like me to Google that for you?
    Forgve me, I am but a novice on this site.I do have other site experience. please,please, make positive steps toward furthering your own knowledge and then share it.
    09-05-12 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD