According to this site, PlayBook OS 2.0 receives a sizable upgrade in HTML5 support.
    02-14-12 04:04 PM
    Wow and I imagine that is PlayBook OS 2.0 Beta software, hopefully the official release is even better.
    02-14-12 04:19 PM
    The most recent consensus on the HTML5 on the forum is 354+9

RIM is investing a lot of effort to have to have the best HTML5 support in the industry. QNX is working closely with certain partners to push the new frontier of HTML5, and solidify a standard in the industry. With QNX's vast experience and expertise in HTML5, we reap the fruit of this in the browser.

Torch Mobile whom RIM acquired for browser development, also holds vast expertise dealing with HTML5.

It is also very likely that RIM will have better HTML5 support then most desktop browsers. Infact it is very likely that RIM will have the best HTML5 support across the boardm RIM holds an abundance of HTML5 Intellectual property
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-14-12 04:36 PM
    Here's a link to the 354+9 score

02-14-12 04:42 PM
    yup, 354+9 is the latest, or in better terms, its the 2nd best web browser over ALL platforms not just tablet.
    02-14-12 04:45 PM
    Has anyone taken the time to compare the specifics between Chrome 10 and PlayBook OS 2.0, to see where they differ. Might be interesting to see which things Chrome supports that PB doesn't, and possibly vice versa. Who knows, maybe a closer look would show that what's not supported has no place on the tablet anyway...
    02-14-12 07:02 PM
    That's great if a good browser is only going to get better. I only see more and more developers going the html5 route for their apps. Don't have to worry about app approval from any app store, can target various platforms(not just tablets) and devices. And since there would be nothing that needs to be hosted or approved by any app stores the developer would keep all the money from a sale of the app. Grooveshark's html5 app is pretty awesome for a beta.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-14-12 07:22 PM
    By the time HTML5 is the new web standard, the playbook will be so long gone...
    02-15-12 05:28 AM

10letters
    02-15-12 05:40 AM
    Ultimately that's just a synthetic compatibility score. What the PlayBook needs to excel in this next battle is speed in running HTML5/JavaScript.

I don't think that the PlayBook is where it needs to be in terms of HTML5 performance. Perhaps it's folly to believe that any tablet can truly execute a Web app as quickly and smoothly as one built in native code, but as a third-ran platform I think HTML5 is RIM's only possible saviour. They need to toil day and night to make sure that it's a viable development platform for BB10.
    02-15-12 07:15 AM
    Don't like.
    02-15-12 08:11 AM
    Ultimately that's just a synthetic compatibility score. What the PlayBook needs to excel in this next battle is speed in running HTML5/JavaScript.

I don't think that the PlayBook is where it needs to be in terms of HTML5 performance.
    I don't have any direct experience with HTML5 performance but I do know that the Javascript TRS-80 emulator (a circa-1980s computer) found here http://people.cs.ubc.ca/~pphillip/trs80.html runs MUCH more slowly on my Playbook than it does on my Torch 9810.
    Last edited by warrenmr; 02-15-12 at 05:51 PM.
    02-15-12 05:48 PM
    I did a little comparative benchmarking 8 days ago, have a look, it's funny:
    Fine Oils
    Also, good to know that RIM apparently improves their JS V8 engine for PB OS 2.0.
    02-16-12 02:39 PM
    According to this site, PlayBook OS 2.0 receives a sizable upgrade in HTML5 support.
    The browsing experience in the 2.0.0.7111 Dev Preview is vastly better than any previous publicly-available version, and it scores 344+9 (I think the current iOS 5 Safari manages 309).

That browsing experience is helped, of course, by the improved WiFi stack that finally allows g/n wireless speeds.

I can only assume the html5test number quoted here is from a subsequent beta or the 2.0 release version.
    02-16-12 02:50 PM
    The browsing experience in the 2.0.0.7111 Dev Preview is vastly better than any previous publicly-available version, and it scores 344+9 (I think the current iOS 5 Safari manages 309).

That browsing experience is helped, of course, by the improved WiFi stack that finally allows g/n wireless speeds.

I can only assume the html5test number quoted here is from a subsequent beta or the 2.0 release version.
    As someone mentioned - JS performance is lacking, and so are css animations actually. These make HTML5 apps seem laggy. My torch does this animations better - no kidding.

HTML5 support means little if its so laggy.
    02-18-12 12:01 PM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    can't wait for 2.0!!
    02-18-12 09:58 PM
    yeah ok thanks for your long avatar which breaks the forum layout

m******
    02-19-12 01:45 PM
    Oh yes.

Playbook 2, or more likely playbook 3 will rule the day then.

So you are correct.
    02-19-12 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD