My playbooks are no more than glorified ipods for use on the patio. Other than charging them so they don't actually die and won't take a charge I wouldn't have touched them for the last several months as the Hisense Sero 7 Pro has rendered them obsolete for all tasks. If I lived in the US I would have bought another Sero and given/thrown the playbooks away. The only reason I keep them now is I don't want to risk damaging the Walmart tablet by taking it out by the pool.

Nothing like using a $549.00 device to avoid risking damage to the $129.00 device.
    04-01-14 01:47 PM
    I bought my PB in anticipation of the USB OTG support that never materialised...

I recently bought a Hisense Sero 7 Pro. On my recent vacation I was able to take all my pictures from my camera, rename them in the pattern I like and upload them to Mega and Walmart overnight. No, no USB OTG, but the micro-SD slot works just fine.

I still use the PB to watch videos, but little more. I wish they would update the Android runtime and the browser. Those two items would breath life into the device...

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    04-01-14 01:53 PM
    BlackBerry playbook

Q10 10.2.1.1925
    04-01-14 01:54 PM
    I hate to admit it, but I abandoned my Playbook back in November. I purchased an HP Elitebook Revolve 810 as a replacement for both my notebook and tablet.
    04-01-14 02:01 PM
    My playbooks are no more than glorified ipods for use on the patio. Other than charging them so they don't actually die and won't take a charge I wouldn't have touched them for the last several months as the Hisense Sero 7 Pro has rendered them obsolete for all tasks. If I lived in the US I would have bought another Sero and given/thrown the playbooks away. The only reason I keep them now is I don't want to risk damaging the Walmart tablet by taking it out by the pool.

Nothing like using a $549.00 device to avoid risking damage to the $129.00 device.
    Hisense Seros in Canada:

Canada’s best deal on Hisense Sero Pro 7 Quad-Core1.3Ghz 8Gb Android 4.2 Tablet M470BSA Android Tablets 854098003661 -
    Cynycl likes this.
    04-01-14 02:11 PM
    I use Surface 2, and PB.
    04-01-14 02:24 PM
    The PB. Strangely, it still works the same today as it did yesterday before the EOL notice.

But when it finally does bite the bullet, I'll go Android, probably something a little bit bigger or a 7" with more screen real estate.

Potential options:

Amazon.com: Acer Iconia A1-810-L416 7.9-Inch 16 GB Tablet (Pure White): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: ASUS MeMO Pad 8 16GB Tablet (ME180A-A1-WH) White: Computers & Accessories
    If you want to make sure it gets updated OTA, get the Nexus 7 (cousin to the ASUS MeMo Pad). I've got the 1st Gen and it was updated to KitKat a few months ago. Of course, you can root and find your own updates with other manufacturers.

Oh and just to remind everyone, the grass is not greener on the android side. You may not get an OS upgrade unless the manufacturer puts one out. The manufacturers want you to buy the new stuff too so many times you won't get one. Just sayin. A Windows Tab should be OK and I have to say Apple does a pretty good job of updating.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-01-14 at 02:55 PM.
    kbz1960, Cynycl and anon(5597702) like this.
    04-01-14 02:43 PM
    I'll keep mine and set it up as a media player. I no longer play in it. Maybe I will keep the emulators

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 02:47 PM
    Can someone point me to the statement from BB (not from Crackberry or others) that there will be no further updates or support for the PB? I know the support section on the BB Web site says no support for 2.0 and 2.1 but that isn't the same as saying no updates for the PB.
    wired cleric likes this.
    04-01-14 02:47 PM
    The title says it all.

Will you use another tablet?
    If so, which one?
    Or
    Have you already switched to another tablet.
    If so, which one?

Stay Classy CrackBerry Nation!
    I will continue to use the Playbook as long as it turns on.
    milo53 likes this.
    04-01-14 02:52 PM
    Still have my PlayBook and probably will occasionally use it. Or maybe sell it.

I don't think I ever truly needed a tablet. Now I don't really want another one. Phones are pretty powerful.

And other than that I prefer an actual PC or laptop.

So no, not planning to buy any tablet.
    04-01-14 02:57 PM
    Seriously and frankly speaking: with the use of the PlayBook I realized that I don't need a tablet.

And then I have a wonderful Z30, what else could I need?

04-01-14 02:58 PM
    My playbook

Z10 on Telus
    04-01-14 03:08 PM
    The same one I used before it was announced to be dead. It's dead when I say it's dead.
    04-01-14 03:09 PM
    yah , same tablet I used yesterday , PB unril it no longer works.

My Z10 has mostly replaced the PB. When it dies I will probably just get a no name chinese android tab. See what's a good deal at the time
    04-01-14 03:13 PM
    When it dies I will probably just get a no name chinese android tab. See what's a good deal at the time
    Speaking of noname Chinese tablets, I will getting a Lenovo yoga 8 as a transition device between when I eventually give up on my Playbook and the next big thing in portable computing.
    04-01-14 03:26 PM
    I use a side-loaded Kindle app.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    Me too.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 03:39 PM
    Having a Z30 has removed my use case for a tablet. I cannot think of a reason why I need a tablet. 5" screen is good enough for me and my personal use cases. I am sure everyone has their own. No need for an extra device for me to have to charge.
    04-01-14 03:41 PM
    I use my Playbook everyday for everything from email, reading, watching video, music streaming...basically the whole nine yards. If this one dies I will look for another one until they are no longer available on eBay, Craiglist, etc... For what I do with it there is no reason to jump ship. Love the thing and will use one as long as I can get one somewhere.

I knew there was a reason I backup'ed all of the sideloaded app files.
    04-01-14 03:56 PM
    When my PB actually dies I'll use my Z30
    04-01-14 03:59 PM
    I use my Playbook everyday for everything from email, reading, watching video, music streaming...basically the whole nine yards. If this one dies I will look for another one until they are no longer available on eBay, Craiglist, etc... For what I do with it there is no reason to jump ship. Love the thing and will use one as long as I can get one somewhere.

I knew there was a reason I backup'ed all of the sideloaded app files.

Watch out for those unpatched security flaws. From now on you're on your own when your PlayBook accesses anything on the internet ...
    04-01-14 04:01 PM
    There's no point in staying loyal to something/somebody who doesn't give a crap about you. Life's too short, so go out and enjoy something different.
    Amen.

04-01-14 04:22 PM
    I hate to admit it, but I abandoned my Playbook back in November. I purchased an HP Elitebook Revolve 810 as a replacement for both my notebook and tablet.
    How do you like it?

04-01-14 04:23 PM
    If you want to make sure it gets updated OTA, get the Nexus 7 (cousin to the ASUS MeMo Pad). I've got the 1st Gen and it was updated to KitKat a few months ago. Of course, you can root and find your own updates with other manufacturers.

Oh and just to remind everyone, the grass is not greener on the android side. You may not get an OS upgrade unless the manufacturer puts one out. The manufacturers want you to buy the new stuff too so many times you won't get one. Just sayin. A Windows Tab should be OK and I have to say Apple does a pretty good job of updating.
    What's your take on a Samsung tablet?

04-01-14 04:24 PM
    I got a Nexus 7 a few months ago, i love it and i will stick with it the price was awesome I still use my playbook to put movies on and hook up to the tv so the wife can watch, or take to a friends to "borrow" media. 64 gb pb and 32 gb nexus 7, also have a q10, and an ipad 2, I phone and htc desire, so im in all 3 worlds lol. Just need to get some windows devices in the house.
    04-01-14 04:25 PM
404 1234 ...