Hey all,long time lurker that did something that I can't undo. Yesterday I updated my PB via the desktop software and lost everything. Tried to restore using the software but after it starts it quickly gives me an error and stops the restore. I still don't fully understand exactly what I did wrong,but I do know I am ticked at losing all my apps and files. Back to square one I guess.
    08-27-12 04:46 PM
    For future reference, I'd avoid using Desktop Software to back up your media. Simply copy all of your media folders to your PC manually. It is much faster to do it this way anyway, and you won't lose your media if a restore fails. You can backup your settings and apps, and if a restore then fails, you can at least reinstall all your apps from app world and at the worst you'll simply lose your settings if a restore fails.
    StanWiz likes this.
    08-27-12 06:22 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I have to be honest and say that the PB confuses the heck out of me when it comes to even simple things like finding files and such. After the fiasco yesterday I started replacing some things and I cannot figure out how to find them. It's not like there's a Windows Explorer to go to right?
    08-27-12 06:59 PM
    Did you do a DM backup, then all is not lost.

Turn off the PB by holding down the top three buttons. FULL OFF.

(edit, per theDark722 below) "Holding all three buttons down will trigger a hard reset. the pb will start up again when the restart fully cycles."

If this re-set does not solve the problem, then

(edit, per theDark722 below) "Fully turn off the pb, use the battery icon and then hit "turn off"

Turn on your PC and open the DM and make sure it is fully loaded (meaning it stops loading anything)

Connect the PB (still OFF) to the PC by cable.

PC will recognize the PB as being connected
    DM will recognize the PB and turn the PB 'ON'

DM will give a message to re-install the OS, click 'YES'.

After install then do a DM Restore.

(Relative to using DM for updates, I have never had a problem. OTA by WIFI is sometimes a problem if the connection to internet is slow)
    Last edited by mandony; 08-30-12 at 08:57 PM.
    thedark722 likes this.
    08-27-12 08:10 PM
    Try Ghost Commander (free in app world) or Files and Folders (not free) for Windows Explorer type apps.
    08-27-12 08:43 PM
    come here again!
    Last edited by Blackburn023; 08-27-12 at 09:38 PM.
    08-27-12 09:35 PM
    Try Ghost Commander (free in app world) or Files and Folders (not free) for Windows Explorer type apps.
    The OP lost everything; the goal is to restore, not to fix stuff by a windows type operation
    08-28-12 08:22 PM
    The OP lost everything; the goal is to restore, not to fix stuff by a windows type operation
    Huh, he also said in his second post that "the PB confuses the heck out of me when it comes to even simple things like finding files and such". Hence, my suggestion.
    08-28-12 09:22 PM
    What is a DM backup? I apologize for my ignorance and I admit my PB is far above my limited capabilities but I do hope to one day be able to use it for more then email and Web surfing.
    08-29-12 09:11 PM
    DM is Desktop manager. It's the program you use on main computer. It has a few functions. It was originally designed to backup and sync data for BB phones and to install OS's for phones. It was extended to allow reinstalling the pb's OS as well as backing up various data, apps and settings for the pb. It also has a Media component that can copy/move and sync various media including, I believe Itunes stuff.

Many of us backup our photos, music, videos and what-have-you docs and file MANUALLY using Win Explorer's drag/drop/copy/move functions.
    08-29-12 11:27 PM
    Not to contradict F2, but this is one of my pet peeves around here in that people constantly refer to "Desktop Manager". The truth be told, there is no such thing as "Desktop Manager", at least insofar as the PB is concerned.. There is, however, "Blackberry Desktop Software", which is a BB program as described by F2, and there is also "Blackberry Device Manager", which simply installs the drivers when you connect your PB to your PC so your PC will see the PB. When people refer to Desktop Manager, they're usually referring to BB Desktop Software.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-30-12 03:56 AM
    I believe it was Desktop Manager many moons ago. Old habits die hard. But I do understand your concern. New people will definitely get confused.
    08-30-12 06:36 AM
    Did you do a DM backup, then all is not lost.

Turn off the PB by holding down the top three buttons. FULL OFF.

Turn on your PC and open the DM and make sure it is fully loaded (meaning it stops loading anything)

Connect the PB (still OFF) to the PC by cable.

PC will recognize the PB as being connected
    DM will recognize the PB and turn the PB 'ON'

DM will give a message to re-install the OS, click 'YES'.

After install then do a DM Restore.

(Relative to using DM for updates, I have never had a problem. OTA by WIFI is sometimes a problem if the connection to internet is slow)
    just a quick note: i believe holding all three buttons down will trigger a hard reset. the pb will start up again when the restart fully cycles. to fully turn off the pb, use the battery icon and then hit "turn off". Otherwise Mandony is right on, its worked for me in the past when a restore has failed. But I now use this only for settings and apps and keep a back up of my media and docs using the "copy" method as a failed backup backup plan to atleast minimize what I might lose if this debrick/restore method doesn't work (hasn't happened yet though <knocking on wooden head for luck>)

good luck!
    Last edited by TheDark722; 08-30-12 at 08:31 AM.
    08-30-12 08:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD