Just as of today my browser is crashing on Crackberry!

From the main forum menu, selecting the 'News and Rumors' forum forces an immediate closure of my PB browser.

I've seen this behavior with other websites before but never with Crackberry. Has something changed?

Someone else give it a try.
    04-12-12 01:14 PM
    Just as of today my browser is crashing on Crackberry!

From the main forum menu, selecting the 'News and Rumors' forum forces an immediate closure of my PB browser.

I've seen this behavior with other websites before but never with Crackberry. Has something changed?

Someone else give it a try.
    In your browser options under Security i believe, clear Cache, History and Storage. leave Cookies alone. see if that works or helps.
    04-12-12 01:35 PM
    Yup that fixed it. Any idea what the story is? That is the only link that was forcing the browser to crash - why would clearing the cache, etc fix the problem?
    04-12-12 03:11 PM
    Yup that fixed it. Any idea what the story is? That is the only link that was forcing the browser to crash - why would clearing the cache, etc fix the problem?
    Why that link? No idea.

Why clearing the cache, etc would help... is because there is a general suspicion that PB running out of memory is what causes at least some of these browser crashes. Clearing the cache releases some memory back to the pool.
    04-12-12 03:19 PM
    I think it may have more with something in the Local Storage thats affecting the website. Something possibly getting corrupted and causing the site to crash.

Glad its working for you now
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-12-12 03:32 PM
    .......New?
    04-13-12 11:28 AM
    I turned off Flash and so far it has not crashed. Could still be a mem issue but have well over 300 megs showing as being free.

It is disappointing to know that 1.0 did not have this issue much and now 2.0 is plagued with it. The one item that RIM boasts about on the PB and it is worse then the day it came out.

Whatever the heck is causing RIM needs to jump all over it but then RIM has to see it is an issue. So far RIM has not really said it is an issue they are working on fixing.
    They always seem surprised...not good.

Tim
    04-13-12 11:42 AM
    I turned off Flash and so far it has not crashed. Could still be a mem issue but have well over 300 megs showing as being free.

It is disappointing to know that 1.0 did not have this issue much and now 2.0 is plagued with it. The one item that RIM boasts about on the PB and it is worse then the day it came out.

Whatever the heck is causing RIM needs to jump all over it but then RIM has to see it is an issue. So far RIM has not really said it is an issue they are working on fixing.
    They always seem surprised...not good.

Tim
    I think they have a full page of problematic links/sites in the beta zone and that they are precisely investigating each of them (can't remember who reported this, but I remember he's a trusted CB and beta zone user).
    Actually, when debugging these erratic behavior, it's hard to tell whether it's browser / memory usage / site includes related ... I suspected once ads (which can change for each user, depending on his profile) to be the "trigger" ...
    What has been reported (twitter,here) is that the browser is on the top list of enhancements number in next update.
    Hopefully, side-effects (memory, cache) should be treated as well.
    kbz1960 and Denus like this.
    04-13-12 12:20 PM
    .. I suspected once ads (which can change for each user, depending on his profile) to be the "trigger" ...
    I think it is the adds too. If you use ad blocking on Simple Browser, you can load some sites that are problematic.
    Denus and Superfly_FR like this.
    04-13-12 12:29 PM
    Do ads use java script? Some or most of the sites that poof the browser work with java script off.
    04-13-12 12:43 PM
    Do ads use java script? Some or most of the sites that poof the browser work with java script off.
    Maybe (my "bet") a combination of flash driven JS ... hard to tell.
    04-13-12 12:47 PM
    It's been crashing a lot lately. I don't know why but I think it's probably the ads.

Update: I tried it with pop up blocker off and it seems to be fine.
    04-13-12 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD