Not sure if I should post this here or in the OS7 forum but...

The remote isn't perfect for mouse navigation, but it makes typing a hellva of a lot easier.

It's very tricky to get the device paired and working (took me a half hour of mucking around), I'll do a few more tests and post up a how-to.

Last edited by footose; 02-20-12 at 10:05 PM.
    02-20-12 09:51 PM
    Instructions for Pairing:

1) BB: Turn your bluetooth on,. Make sure it is not connected to any other device, and set your connection options as "Discoverable - Yes"

2) PS3: Turn on your Playstation and goto Accessory Settings -> Manage BlueTooth Devices

3) BB: IMPORTANT: Goto your BlackBerry and open the Remote Bridge app, so it says "connecting". It MUST say connecting, or it won't work. If it times out, it won't work, so you have to move fast from this point forward.

4) PS3: "Register New Device" and click "Start Scanning". It took literally about 3 minutes to find my 9900, so it may take a while to pair. Sometimes it didn't find it at all, and other times it was under a minute.

5) PS3: You'll get a screen with the name of your device once it finds it. Click on it and it will ask you for a pass key. I used "4444" - I don't think it matters what it is. When you click Ok, you should see your BB prompt you for a numeric passkey. Enter "4444".

Note: If you don't see the prompt after your PS3 finds your BB, press the red "hang up" button (but don't exit the remote app), and it should be on your main screen.

6) PS3: After about 30 seconds, your phone will say the pairing is successful, but your PlayStation will likely give you an error (An Error occurred during the register operation) or it will stay on the "registering" screen. It doesn't matter though, as soon as your bluetooth on your phone is connected press the "circle" on the PS3 to cancel the pairing.

7) BB: Your device won't show up on the PS3, but it should be paired at this point. If you are stuck on the cancel screen on the PS3, turn your bluetooth off on your BB and then back on again.

8) PS3: Open any chat window and start typing from your BB keyboard! yey.
    Last edited by footose; 02-20-12 at 10:28 PM.
    void11, 1oo1, evozero and 9 others like this.
    02-20-12 09:55 PM
    pretty awesome how todays phones really can do so much more than talk and txt
    02-20-12 10:01 PM
    Great job, I would have never thought of using the bridge in that way.!
    02-20-12 10:03 PM
    Don't you have to have the hotspot to use it?
    02-20-12 10:04 PM
    no, works over bluetooth. writing up a guide as we speak
    02-20-12 10:08 PM
    Wow thats awesome. Too bad I have an xbox :\
    02-20-12 10:12 PM
    maybe it will work on xbox. I don't have one of those so I can't test, but I can't see why it wouldn't...
    02-20-12 10:30 PM
    maybe it will work on xbox. I don't have one of those so I can't test, but I can't see why it wouldn't...
    for one it doesnt have full bluetooth functionality
    02-20-12 10:39 PM
    too bad i cant use it for pb to ps3. i have no bb.
    on a side note, people on android have been trying to do this for years.
    02-20-12 10:43 PM
    android has a few apps for this type of thing. Not sure if iOS does though.
    02-20-12 10:45 PM
    Do you have to follow these steps each time you start up the PS3?
    02-20-12 10:53 PM
    not all of them, your BB will save the "PS3", but the PS3 won't save your BB, so you will have to pair it on the PS3 again using the same code. I only just figured this out a few moments ago, so maybe there's another way.
    02-20-12 11:02 PM
    android has a few apps for this type of thing. Not sure if iOS does though.
    none of them work... the problem was getting access to BT in the ps3 which sony locks down. i might forward this thread on xda, maybe they can do something app wise for both bb and android.
    02-20-12 11:08 PM
    Very cool... XBOX does not support bluetooth as far as I know though
    D Mac, D Mac and Hi Tek like this.
    02-20-12 11:10 PM
    none of them work... the problem was getting access to BT in the ps3 which sony locks down. i might forward this thread on xda, maybe they can do something app wise for both bb and android.
    The actual problem is that unless your device is telling the PS3 that it's a keyboard / mouse, the PS3 won't connect to it. Thats why manual pairing doesn't work.

In Android and BB, I believe you can't access the HID natively - you can on Android only if your device is rooted. BlackBerry you can't. But it seems that the Bridge Remote takes care of this for us - I'm guessing this is why you NEED to do Step 3, before connecting to the PS3 - so it thinks your phone is a keyboard.

I'm an app dev btw
    02-20-12 11:19 PM
    Thanks footose but I'm having trouble getting them to pair and even see one another. I don't see the "connecting" in the bridge app at all.
    02-20-12 11:20 PM
    what kind of software is needed in BB for converting it to BT remote.
    is it build in function for OS7.1. new leak.?
    02-20-12 11:24 PM
    @UrbanGlowCam

The bridge remote app should say "connecting" in the top right hand corner..

Once it is connected, it will still say whatever your playbook is called.

Last edited by footose; 02-20-12 at 11:37 PM.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    02-20-12 11:34 PM
    what kind of software is needed in BB for converting it to BT remote.
    is it build in function for OS7.1. new leak.?
    This is the remote option in the new Bridge software...
    02-20-12 11:35 PM
    Too bad u can't web surf via bluetooth and 3g connection
    02-20-12 11:47 PM
    do you need to like pair the bb with a pb first? it keeps prompting me to connect to a pb first.
    02-20-12 11:50 PM
    I've been making an attempt to see if I could connect to my macbook pro with this....no luck...I didn't think it would actually work...if someone finds a way to do that please post
    02-20-12 11:51 PM
    do you need to like pair the bb with a pb first? it keeps prompting me to connect to a pb first.
    This is a good point - I did setup my playbook connection before trying this one. ( I didn't think of this ), and maybe the Bridge app needs that step - Let me erase all of my connections and I'll give it another shot. It's possible that is the case.
    02-20-12 11:55 PM
    This is a good point - I did setup my playbook connection before trying this one. ( I didn't think of this ), and maybe the Bridge app needs that step - Let me erase all of my connections and I'll give it another shot. It's possible that is the case.
    yea, for those who don't have pb, that shld be the case why they can't get to the connection screen. looks like I've to go down to a shop to pair it with the demo set before pairing with non-pb devices again.
    02-20-12 11:59 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD