Anyone know how to watch Netflix through the PB's web browser? I tried today and got this (screen shot below). Is it because Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight and the PB doesn't support it? Has it always been this way on the PB?

I want to watch Netflix on my PB at the gym (it has wifi) on the treadmill and stairmaster. Strangely Amazon Prime videos (off their website) work on the PB's browser. You can make it full-screen using the on-screen button at the bottom-right.
    Last edited by HKSpeed; 06-20-12 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    06-20-12 01:47 PM
    Silverlight isn't totally the issue, since Netflix works in browsers that don't support it.

It's really a device thing; Netflix just doesn't want to play nice with the Playbook.
    06-20-12 02:10 PM
    No way to do so for the moment.

Let's see what happens after 2.1 is out.
    06-20-12 02:15 PM
    I figured it was a Silverlight issue since Netflix asks me to install a Silverlight plug-in on my PC using Chrome, IE9, and Firefox 13.
    06-20-12 02:18 PM
    I figured it was a Silverlight issue since Netflix asks me to install a Silverlight plug-in on my PC using Chrome, IE9, and Firefox 13.
    Don't think Netflix uses Silverlight on the Mac, for instance.
    06-20-12 02:20 PM
    Has nobody figured out how to change the browser identification string yet to make it say it is internet explorer or firefox or something instead of playbook browser ?
    06-20-12 10:03 PM
    SimpleBrowser+ in AppWorld lets you set a custom id string, and has presets for IE, Safarii and some other popular browser versions as well. It won't solve the Netflix or Hulu issues, however, since Hulu checks the OS properties of the Flash Player as well, and SimpleBrowser+ is unable to modify what the Flash player returns for that value..

Just an FYI..

Mojoski

Has nobody figured out how to change the browser identification string yet to make it say it is internet explorer or firefox or something instead of playbook browser ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-21-12 07:45 AM
    Use Splashtop, works great. you use your playbook as a windows or mac pc. try it worth the cost! easy to set up.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    06-21-12 03:37 PM
    Use Splashtop, works great. you use your playbook as a windows or mac pc. try it worth the cost! easy to set up.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    I have tried to use Splashtop a few times. Each time it has dropped the connection at some point or the app has crashed or something else has gone wrong. I don't think I have yet succeeded in watching a full episode of anything on Netflix via Splashtop.

Despite a comment above, the problem IS a lack of Silverlight. Netflix on Mac does use Silverlight. (Netflix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). On devices without silverlight, Netflix works via a special application (e.g. on iOS and Android) or via a software plugin for the software (e.g. Plex and XBMC). The service is tailored to those devices/software platforms specifically. If Silverlight support where added to the PB, Netflix should work (provided Netflix did not for some reason block PB, as Hulu do; I don't know what the reasons behind this are and if they are likely to apply to Netflix also)
    06-21-12 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD