I think I said on several occasions that I am not worried about the NSA, although their actions help others spy on us.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 10:50 PM
    You weren't hacked on your pb...

But thanks for making a new thread on the dead goat!
    thisiscjay likes this.
    05-14-14 11:00 PM
    A directory KalemSoft was created in my videos directory with today's date. Does anybody know who that company is?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:00 PM
    OK. I found out that it is an Indonesian company. I do not have their player installed...

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:09 PM
    To Sparky_BC

If the PB can be hacked so can the Z30. You should be worried, too.
    I know you are going to tell me that it is a different OS..
    But that is NOT reassuring.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:11 PM
    And it was hacked in Canada, not on Indonesia, albeit likely by an Indonesian company who also set my PlayBook time.to Indonesia time (same as Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia)

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:13 PM
    While I have a hard time believing you were hacked (not because I think your a liar but just because obtaining the kind of access you speak of is VERY hard) I'm only here to tell you that your files may be recoverable with certain programs that can be installed on a pc. They find "deleted" information and restore it however some of it may be corrupted/saved over

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:15 PM
    As noted, Ghost Commander is an android port, and these ports do not appear in the app permissions list. As for denying Ghost permission to access your files, well, a file manager that can't access your files is less than useless. I highly doubt that Ghost is the source of your problem. While it is possible that some android apps can run in the background even if they don't seem to be open, in my experience, Ghost is not one of these. It is either open and running, and obviously so, or it's not running at all. So if Ghost was not open when you had your problem, it couldn't be the source of your problems.. As to your statement that Ghost and other android ports "should not be in BlackBerry World", the fact of the matter is that Ghost, and a few other android file managers, have functionality that no native file managers have, and as far as I know, can't have.
    05-14-14 11:19 PM
    I agree that it does not seem to be ghost commander. It wasn't running anyway. I also agree about the usefulness of a file manager that cannot access files. This is one problem I have with apps...I prefer the old ways where you install the system once and you have control, not whoever makes an app has control.

Now, for the BlackBerry World, I think that at the very least it should say that an app is an android app. Now I know that I should only buy/use made for BlackBerry apps but even that now appears not to be the cause of hacking. See above about KalemSoft.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:37 PM
    To Chalk2

Well, recovering the files is not an issue. I always have them on at least one other device.
    However, this experience, the first in 23 years of using the Internet, is very chilling for me because I think I am one of those who is careful about security.
    It pretty much convinces me that I can only use my tablet and smartphone, both BB, only for entertainment and calls. None of the information was confidential, even the Darpa results had been published. Still I hose hoping for mobile computing...

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:44 PM
    Prove you were hacked.... Files are easily recoverable if you wanted to get them back...

You have Zero proof beside files deleted. Which could have happened many ways. All of which no one is going to waste their time with Telnet or anything else for that matter..

I highly doubt you were the first
    Person ever to be hacked using a
    Playbook. The OS has been out how long now...now out of the blue they hit you...

Sounds very far fetched....look at who was in your house playing with it...

Has nothing to do with NSA 5 eyes or anything else.
    thisiscjay and AcADIeN like this.
    05-14-14 11:50 PM
    Yeah. it seems much more likely that it was some sort of file corruption or OS error. Who would go to all of the trouble to hack into your PB and then give themselves away by deleting your files.

Don't forget to apply Occam's razor:

1) someone hacked your wifi and then remotely hacked your PB in Airplane mode and turned the wifi on to delete copies of files...
    or
    2) The PlayBook borked itself...
    eddy_berry and thisiscjay like this.
    05-15-14 12:07 AM
    Just an FYI

We saw this earlier on the PlayBook. Where certain apps had nasty bugs that would wipe out ALL accessible files on a PlayBook. It couls be a repeat, I know two different apps did this. One being some music making app.

Demo Mode:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...selves-704444/

Deleting Android folders:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...folder-892204/

With that said - if you have wifi file sharing enabled, and someone connects to the same wifi as you, they can erase all your files if they guess your BlackBerry PlayBook password (not likely).
    05-15-14 12:12 AM
    Yes, it is incredible but why would a new directory KalemSoft appear exactly in the video directory with yesterday's date? Otherwise I would have bought into the PlayBook malfunctioning.
    There is no one else in my house and, the day before, the PlayBook was travelling with me on a 30 hour long set of flights from Indonesia to Toronto.
    So KalemSoft (an Indonesian company that has a streaming player for Playbook) is very suspiciously in my video directory which was depleted of most files. My android misc and subdirectories were also updated yesterday..
    Too much of a coincidence, but maybe the PlayBook did all of this by itself.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 12:18 AM
    I am willing to accept that someone may have guessed my password and deleted the files.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 12:20 AM
    O saw the links before but I use the PlayBook music app and it did not delete any of the music files, just my download, documents, photos, video and camera directories.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 12:21 AM
    Yes, it is incredible but why would a new directory KalemSoft appear exactly in the video directory with yesterday's date? Otherwise I would have bought into the PlayBook malfunctioning.
    There is no one else in my house and, the day before, the PlayBook was travelling with me on a 30 hour long set of flights from Indonesia to Toronto.
    So KalemSoft (an Indonesian company that has a streaming player for Playbook) is very suspiciously in my video directory which was depleted of most files. My android misc and subdirectories were also updated yesterday..
    Too much of a coincidence, but maybe the PlayBook did all of this by itself.

Posted via CB10
    You probably tried an app from them at some point. If you didn't have any Kalemsoft apps, then how would they have had app permissions that enabled this alleged hacking? It may have been a hidden folder that lost its attributes, was there and you didn't notice it, was recreated by the app and that's what changed the date. There's a dozen things that come to mind before hacking. They only targeted your PB and no other device on the wifi network?
    05-15-14 12:33 AM
    1) I checked that I have not purchased that app from KalemSoft. If I did, I would have been able to download it again today, as with other apps that I bought and then deleted because they had questionable security.

2) I have started retracing my actions in Indonesia and, again, there is a a coincidence. I had my Z30, my linux laptop, my PlayBook and an old RIM curve which I brought along to buy a local simcard to save on the data plan. Indonesia has only 3G and edge, no 4G, no LTE.
    I used the curve to link up with my PlayBook to get internet access for my PlayBook when no wifi was available since I traveled to some remote places without wifi.
    I could not link the z30 or the laptop to the curve through bluetooth...incompatible. This may explain why neither my Z30 not my laptop were affected. even though they were connected to many wifi networks many times. Only the PlayBook was affected and it was the only one connected through curve to the Indoteksel cellular and data networks.

Even this is just a stretch. Maybe access was obtained that way but the files were deleted after my arrival in Canada, at least according to the date in the files.

Yes, it is not clear if it is a hack but again, why would the KalemSoft directory be there, updated to yesterday's date unless the default Browser or music player uses it?
    I did NOT use the PlayBook since my return and still the time stamp on the files is after my return.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 12:58 AM
    Puts on tinfoil hat and walks away...
    05-15-14 01:17 AM
    So you're saying a PlayBook app developer, whose apps you've never installed, hacked into your Curve via the 3G network and then accessed your PlayBook over WIFI or BlueTooth in order to delete your files and then create a folder with his app company's name on it several days later?
    05-15-14 01:36 AM
    So you're saying a PlayBook app developer, whose apps you've never installed, hacked into your Curve via the 3G network and then accessed your PlayBook over WIFI or BlueTooth in order to delete your files and then create a folder with his app company's name on it several days later?
    Any "hacker" worth their salt does not leave a big giant "calling card" on the device after they break into it.

I think the "Occams Razor" comment was germane.
    05-15-14 02:20 AM
    Nothing to see here folks. Glitched up PlayBook and a wild goose chase...
    05-15-14 03:41 AM
    Connecting your PlayBook to the curve explains the date change to Indonesian time.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 04:21 AM
    OK. I suspected that, too.
    The tinfoil comments from others are not very helpful. Not all files were deleted in video directory. A useless one where I tried to experiment with the drawer program and saved the screen in early 2012 was the only one left untouched

But thank you all for consoling me that the PlayBook is self-destructing but otherwise jack proof

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 05:09 AM
    Hack not jack. AUTO CORRECT robocop is wrong again and can only be overall ed after three corrections!

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 05:11 AM
62 123