Just updated to developers OS 2.1.0.840, wifi, 16gb, USA, no Android Apps, I didn't do a security wipe.

I've just run thru opening all regular preinstalled programs, camera, calender, calculator, video chat, browser, Adobe, Facebook, contacts, dos to go, music, messages, file manager and air browser, book reader.

So far everything works, all my personal data is all still there. Also, bb bridge - did a cursory test, turned on, controlled cursor and scrolled page.

Regarding the browser checkerboard, i ran thru 5 webpages, if I allow page to load, fully, 4 were noticeably without the checkerboard, even when flipping fast down thru page, one page, but tv guide which is full of crap, checkerboarded, but by waiting 15 seconds after loading line stopped, it was ok, so it appears some work was done to reduce checkerboarding.

That's all I have for now.

Update, now 15 hours since unplugging from charger this morning and battery at 82%.

Sunday, 4:45 PM, still really running excellent, had some heavy usage and battery down to 42 % and recharged, sooo, same great battery life.

Tuesday morning still working fine.
    Michaelaw
    Last edited by mawil1013; 08-21-12 at 07:46 AM.
    08-17-12 08:03 PM
    does sideloading works? And can we downgrade back?
    08-18-12 03:21 AM
    sideloading still works.
    08-18-12 03:29 AM
    what about wifi signals and battery life?
    08-18-12 03:38 AM
    what about wifi signals and battery life?

Mine is wifi only unit and signal is same as before, haven't seen any decrease in function yet. Have to wait until tonight to say anything on battery. Just unplugged it from charging overnight and will use it until tonight to see what happens, which by tbe way is normal for me.

Edit: my wifi is a linksys-cisco wrt400n dual band and i use media band which if i remember correctly is 5ghz, anyone correct me if I have it mixed up with 2.4.
    Last edited by mawil1013; 08-18-12 at 10:47 AM.
    08-18-12 06:10 AM
    Mine is wifi only unit and signal is same as before, haven't seen any decrease in function yet. Have to wait until tonight to say anything on battery. Just unplugged it from charging overnight and will use it until tonight to see what happens, which by tbe way is normal for me.
    great! Keep us updated with new findings
    08-18-12 09:15 AM
    Known Bug. Duplicated contacts and mail first sync. Other than that all preloaded apps working fine. Android apps I have working fine. Google sync has asked for the 2 step verification a few times. Keep putting in the same code (cut and paste) seems to have satisfied it--for now. Wifi signal same - monitoring if drop offs start. Battery life seems good. Have guru monitoring that. Bridge is smooth. Streaming audio is good. Streaming video is good, sometimes laggy. News apps working excellent, no checkerboard when swiping page to page during reloads.

I will continue to log issues and monitor performance.
    08-18-12 09:35 AM
    What version were you on before upgrading? I updated from .668 instead of downgrading and haven't had an issue so far. Biggest improvement I noticed was that clicking links seems better. By that I mean when clicking a link it is more responsive and clicking a small link like 1 2 3 4 5 6 where the page numbers are close together was bang on! I ALWAYS had to zoom in so either I'm suddenly better at it or the browser is (probably the browser lol)
    Some Android apps crash now but not a deal breaker for me right now.

EDIT: I didn't get the email doubling thing
    08-18-12 10:23 AM
    What version were you on before upgrading? I updated from .668 instead of downgrading and haven't had an issue so far. Biggest improvement I noticed was that clicking links seems better. By that I mean when clicking a link it is more responsive and clicking a small link like 1 2 3 4 5 6 where the page numbers are close together was bang on! I ALWAYS had to zoom in so either I'm suddenly better at it or the browser is (probably the browser lol)
    Some Android apps crash now but not a deal breaker for me right now.

EDIT: I didn't get the email doubling thing
    I went from last official normal release. This was the first time I've done a Dev. Os update. Been running it now for 7 hours and all is fine.
    08-18-12 10:28 AM
    I just upgraded from the latest official release. My bridge applications (email and calendar) are not working correctly. They seem to be constantly resetting in an endless loop. I tried a reboot and same problem.

Edit: looks like now only email problem.
    Last edited by JayInNJ; 08-18-12 at 02:58 PM.
    08-18-12 01:39 PM
    I updated and the size came upto 623 MB, After extraction 1.06 GB.
    08-18-12 02:24 PM
    Where did you get this 2.1.0.840 thing? I am running 2.1.0.560 and 'Check for updates' claims I am running the latest software... Do I have to re-register in this webpage for devs again to see it?
    08-19-12 02:11 PM
    Where did you get this 2.1.0.840 thing? I am running 2.1.0.560 and 'Check for updates' claims I am running the latest software... Do I have to re-register in this webpage for devs again to see it?
    Yes you do.
    08-19-12 03:09 PM
    I'm getting some worse battery life now than on .560. Android runtime is still buggy: apps trade windows or duplicate in windows.
    08-19-12 05:11 PM
    Well, you know, it is a Developers release. I'm running it pure, I'm not a Developer. Will not be side loading Android Apps. I'm very pleased with this Dev release because there seems to be a noticable reduction of checker boarding of web pages in the browser. As well as not seeing any faults at all. I guess from what I read here that those who side load Android Apps or didn't update from the standard latest OS are most having problems, hope your battery issue resolves.
    jdm2102 likes this.
    08-19-12 05:21 PM
    I actually think the Android runtime is working better than ever. I sideloaded WSJ app, which I used on the first Android runtime and it worked horribly. It actually runs near perfect now. Same for the linkedin app.
    08-19-12 07:09 PM
    I actually think the Android runtime is working better than ever. I sideloaded WSJ app, which I used on the first Android runtime and it worked horribly. It actually runs near perfect now. Same for the linkedin app.
    That's good news. It's difficult to fathom how an identical device, loading in identical os can each have such various levels of success.
    08-19-12 07:17 PM
    Ghost Commander is not working for me with this update. When I start it, it will give the screen asking for acceptance of permissions for the internet and files and when I accept, it closes the app. I don't know if this is because I don't have a Wifi connection at the moment or if it isn't going to work at all. I will try again at home with a Wifi connection and see what happens but I am a little irritated because I use this app a lot!
    08-20-12 09:56 AM
    Ghost Commander works fine for me and I've only used it since the 840 update.
    08-20-12 10:11 AM
    Ghost Commander is not working for me with this update. When I start it, it will give the screen asking for acceptance of permissions for the internet and files and when I accept, it closes the app. I don't know if this is because I don't have a Wifi connection at the moment or if it isn't going to work at all. I will try again at home with a Wifi connection and see what happens but I am a little irritated because I use this app a lot!
    It's not an update, it is a Developers Release for Developers only, use at your own risk, I suggest that you revert back to the official normal OS.
    08-20-12 11:06 AM
    You have to simply Uninstall it and then reinstall.. Fixed it for me.. I've reported it in one of the forum posts..
    vag65 likes this.
    08-20-12 11:45 AM
    I'm getting some worse battery life now than on .560. Android runtime is still buggy: apps trade windows or duplicate in windows.
    I don't know if this would apply but I too had the same version .560 of the developer copy installed and one fine day while browsing it just abruptly turned off and then wont start.
    It used to start till the boot interface and then it used to reboot. So thinking that the OS had corrupted I connected it to my system to reinstall the os and though I got the previous 2.0 installed successfully, for some reason my battery wont charge at all ! I used to get the "bolt sign" but no charge and in a couple of days it just came down from 50% to 5% , so now my playbook is with the service center for repair. I miss checking crackberry on it.
    08-20-12 12:20 PM
    It's not an update, it is a Developers Release for Developers only, use at your own risk, I suggest that you revert back to the official normal OS.
    Sorry, misspoke, I know it is a developer's release. I was just pointing out that it isn't working for me. I wasn't sure if anyone else was having the same problem. I am not reverting back, I was running the previous release just fine other than some keyboard lag.
    08-20-12 12:21 PM
    A little benchmarking for .840 can be found in my blog Fine Oils
    08-20-12 07:30 PM
    I agree with the worse battery life thing. Standby battery life is pretty poor. Otherwise, everything for me is an improvement on .560
    08-20-12 08:41 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD