See PCMag article where Jeff Gadway mentions likely release of 2.0 at mobile world congress ...

RIM: PlayBook 2.0 Likely Coming During MWC | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    02-15-12 11:52 AM
    Oh man you beat me! I shouldn't have stopped to read the article lol
    02-15-12 11:59 AM
    1. I don't trust him.

2. No. I better be the 17. :[

They have to make up for my Valentines. :P

But then again, i don't want MWC to take the media away from how awesome the OS is.
    02-15-12 12:00 PM
    doing that may make sense but i hope that when they push to release button nothing is broken because that may mean bad international press.
    02-15-12 12:02 PM
    debated posting... they used the word likely ... so again could be another guess (although they did quote him). A bit bizarre for them to let date slip out this way after keeping it quiet so long...

maybe they'll issue public comment.
    02-15-12 12:05 PM
    If it's ready they need to release it before MWC. Otherwise news of Windows Phone 8 and possibly the iPad3 will overshadow it. They need to release it the 21st and announce bunch of new apps during MWC (how about Netflix and Skype for starters?). This way they can hopefully get at least a few days or a week of media time before other news takes over.
    BerryClever likes this.
    02-15-12 12:14 PM
    debated posting... they used the word likely ... so again could be another guess (although they did quote him). A bit bizarre for them to let date slip out this way after keeping it quiet so long...

maybe they'll issue public comment.
    They never quoted him on the release date aspect, only on the future of the PlayBook hardware.

I think they twisted his release date words
    02-15-12 12:18 PM
    If it's ready they need to release it before MWC. Otherwise news of Windows Phone 8 and possibly the iPad3 will overshadow it. They need to release it the 21st and announce bunch of new apps during MWC (how about Netflix and Skype for starters?). This way they can hopefully get at least a few days or a week of media time before other news takes over.
    I think you are right. RIM needs to release this as soon as possible (they already really late, and not for the Feb deadline, but rather in general). MS and Apple news will overshadow any news by RIM at this point. They need the "slow days" to get some (hopefully) good articles in about them.

And again, I agree that MWC would be a better venue to reshow their OS 2.0 while announcing big apps. If they do it that way then they have some interest BEFORE they get to MWC (depending on how well received OS2 is) and more likely to garner some small articles in-between the MS and Apple orgy that the media will be involved in.

Edit: The only quote from RIM in that article was "very soon". All dates other than very soon are speculative dates of the writer. "RIM is sticking to its February timetable for the update, and code will arrive "very soon," BlackBerry senior brand manager Jeff Gadway said in a meeting with PCMag today"
    Last edited by BerryClever; 02-15-12 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I didn't want to post a second time when I have a perfectly good post above that I can add to, that is not yet buried.
    02-15-12 12:43 PM
    I saw this article too and thought they better not be delaying past the rumored 21st date but I guess they have never announced it was going to be that date, only saying February.

This waiting is killing me already as I plan to give my 16GB to my wife as a gift with the 2.0 update
    02-15-12 12:53 PM
    me too im giving this tablet to my wife and getting a windows 8 or whatever is announced thats better at mwc if they do another epic fail
    02-15-12 01:01 PM
    "If RIM pushes February to its limits, Feb. 29 could potentially be a very busy day for mobile news. Microsoft is anticipated to roll out the first consumer beta of Windows 8 that day, and Apple might choose that day to announce an early March unveiling of the iPad 3. (Apple hasn't said a single official word about the iPad 3 yet.)"

Thats the quote and its not what the RIM person said.
    02-15-12 01:04 PM
    Regardless of the actual release date Research In Motion has the worst marketing team in the existence of modern business. I wait with baited breath as I clutch my beloved tablet lest anyone snatch it from me and this nightmare becomes reality. Where did I misplace my medication?
    02-15-12 01:12 PM
    Regardless of the actual release date Research In Motion has the worst marketing team in the existence of modern business. I wait with baited breath as I clutch my beloved tablet lest anyone snatch it from me and this nightmare becomes reality. Where did I misplace my medication?
    Does that medication work as a tranquilizer and makes you lethargic and quiet? If so, check the RIM marketing team. My bet is that they 'borrowed' it.
    lomed7724 likes this.
    02-15-12 01:47 PM
    Get it out ASAP, before MWC, and release any small patches the week before if need be. Releasing a public update at MWC could spell a catastrophe if there are any issues, and that is the LAST thing RIM needs right now. They need to shine above Windows 8 and IPAD3.
    I am not saying it will be the 17th, or the 21st, but I am sure it will be before MWC.
    02-15-12 01:49 PM
    Are you folks reading the same article as me? The RIM guy doesn't say MWC, the writer does! The article author says " ......likely during the Mobile World Congress trade show if RIM sticks to its announced schedule." It's NOT anyone from RIM saying that, and RIM did not announce ANY schedule other than saying Feb. At this point we just don't know. It could be tomorrow, or it could be Feb 29th!
    BerryClever and Skier1960 like this.
    02-15-12 02:22 PM
    Are you folks reading the same article as me? The RIM guy doesn't say MWC, the writer does! The article author says " ......likely during the Mobile World Congress trade show if RIM sticks to its announced schedule." It's NOT anyone from RIM saying that, and RIM did not announce ANY schedule other than saying Feb. At this point we just don't know. It could be tomorrow, or it could be Feb 29th!
    PK, note the "note" at the end of the article about it having been edited. When it first ran this morning it was worded very differently - something like:

The BlackBerry PlayBook's new 2.0 OS will arrive as a giant over-the-air update later this month, likely during the Mobile World Congress according to Jeff Gadway.

Methinks Mr Gadway contacted him and said something like:
    I never said that!

and thus the article was edited with a note that says, "Note: This article was clarified to more precisely frame Jeff Gadway's comments."
    peter9477 and BerryClever like this.
    02-15-12 02:30 PM
    irrespective of Mobile World Congress RIM need to release OS 2.0 soon, they have already showcased all the best features at other venues. MWC should be a sneak peek of BB10 OS.2 is old news now and we haven't even got it on our playbooks yet.

RIM have had enough time perfecting 2.0.
    Come on RIM! pull your fingers out....
    02-15-12 02:31 PM
    I think a lot of us aren't so much thinking it is a quote (the only quote I saw in that piece was "very soon"), but instead the majority of us commenting are saying that IF the writer's speculation was correct, it would be a bad move based on the probable intense media coverage of RIM's competition that day and the following days. The playbook will most likely fall by the waist side in that case.

So the perspective I get from most comments aren't "I can't believe RIM is going to wait!" but rather "that wouldn't be a smart move by RIM if they decided to hold off until then".

Edit: And I don't think people expect RIM to hold off until then.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 02-15-12 at 04:34 PM.
    02-15-12 03:01 PM
    There are too many reasonably firm indications that the update will drop well before MWC.

I'm intrigued at how many people are jumping at every little detail here (particularly if it seems to indicate a delay... are people happy to see RIM fail?)
    02-15-12 03:26 PM
    See PCMag article where Jeff Gadway mentions likely release of 2.0 at mobile world congress ...

RIM: PlayBook 2.0 Likely Coming During MWC | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    No

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-21st-697895/
    02-15-12 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD