Any one tried loading Microsoft Window on the Playbook. It will be great if this can be done so the tablet could also be used as Netbook. If this can not be done at this time perhaps Rim folks should consider this. It will be a huge plus and will give I Pad run for the money. At this time Apple does not want to do this because it will take sales away from Macbook. Wake up Rim and do something creative. I want to do more on the Playbook than what I can do on the Blackberry.
    11-24-11 03:02 PM
    Troll thread is trolling
    11-24-11 03:17 PM
    Why not buy a windows tablet instead of a PB if you want windows?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-11 03:44 PM
    I believe someone may have loaded Win 3.1 in the DosBox app. See the Dosbox thread in the pb apps subforum
    11-24-11 04:23 PM
    I don't see how this is trolling, in fact its so good of an idea that some are already working on it with Dosbox... check out that thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...dosbox-664048/

Around page 9 someone says he is waiting his windows 95 loads on the playbook...
    It is kind of because of RIM, because DOSBOX was already almost all ported to the playbook on Github from RIM employees. It was only a matter of someone being interested of gathering all the libraries it needed and build it so DOS works on it.
    Theoretically windows up to XP should be able to be working through DOSBOX once all the proper libraries are imported.
    Herve5 likes this.
    11-24-11 04:24 PM
    Impossible
    04-13-12 05:27 PM
    Buy Splashtop Remote Desktop HD - Download Splashtop Remote Desktop HD - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

That (or one of the other remote desktop apps) is the best Windows experience you are likely to get on a PlayBook.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-13-12 05:42 PM
    I have both win 3.11 for work groups ,and win 98se running through dosbox on my PB , and to tell u what,its only good for FUN - dont expect much but old games and simple productivity ; want real windows thats up to date and functional in todays age , get a win8tab
    04-13-12 06:19 PM
    I don't see how this is trolling, in fact its so good of an idea that some are already working on it with Dosbox... check out that thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...dosbox-664048/

Around page 9 someone says he is waiting his windows 95 loads on the playbook...
    It is kind of because of RIM, because DOSBOX was already almost all ported to the playbook on Github from RIM employees. It was only a matter of someone being interested of gathering all the libraries it needed and build it so DOS works on it.
    Theoretically windows up to XP should be able to be working through DOSBOX once all the proper libraries are imported.
    XP was the first windows to not be a shell on DOS ,Windows ME technically is the newest it can run, but due to limited resources win 98 is the best dosbox can do
    04-13-12 06:22 PM
    Hoping that once Windows 8 for ARM is out and about that the gods over at XDA will find a way to put it on my Playbook.
    04-14-12 07:22 PM
    Hoping that once Windows 8 for ARM is out and about that the gods over at XDA will find a way to put it on my Playbook.
    Buy a windows tablet.
    04-14-12 08:45 PM
    PlayBook bootloaded is locked, and Windows, or any other operating system such as Android or Linux, will never be on the PlayBook unless RIM suddenly decides to give us free reign over the bootloader, which is not exactly likely. Sorry, but it's not happening. There are several Windows 7/8 tablets with roughly the same specs as the PB though (minus the cameras), but admittedly they're a lot more expensive than the PlayBook's current price.
    04-14-12 09:44 PM
    You can load Win95 and Win98 on the playbook using DosBox. There is info on how to do it, along with the Windows image files here:

http://opensourcebb.com/2011/11/how-...erry-playbook/

You can also run MAME and play retro games, but I am still working on some speed issues and keymappings!

PacMan and Galaga ROMs on MAME on DosBox on Playbook!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    jegs2, balding1 and SCrid2000 like this.
    04-15-12 09:22 AM
    You can load Win95 and Win98 on the playbook using DosBox. There is info on how to do it, along with the Windows image files here:

How To run Windows 95 or 98 on your BlackBerry Playbook ← OpenSourceBB.com – OSBB

You can also run MAME and play retro games, but I am still working on some speed issues and keymappings!

PacMan and Galaga ROMs on MAME on DosBox on Playbook!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Just make sure you get a more recent version of DosBox than is used in that article
    04-15-12 01:23 PM
    Here's the thing that people who write these threads seem to be missing: even if you could load windows onto the playbook, there would be no touch screen support, now drivers for USB, sound, bluetooth, wifi, or even display, so it might have it functional in memory, but it would be useless without special drivers written specifically for Windows on the PB.

Sorry guys, hardware and software is not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing...
    MasterOfBinary and Tanno like this.
    04-15-12 06:02 PM
    I like playbook tablet os (qnx)

Just give me a micro to micro usb cable, a cool bdm app for my playbook, and a bb playbook protect / cloud app service with office 365. All I'd ever need is this pb with the keyboard case, a torrent client and that awesome 500gb seagate wireless rechargable portable hard drive, a solar back pack with battery - ftw

If rim was smart they'd make they're own bluetooth / wifi / usb 3. / rechargable terabyte portable hdd and say - here, buy this. Come up. With a deadly content and gaming service to compliment their existing install base and network infrastructure.

But what do I know? Nothin'

Oh, and my vita - peace
    04-15-12 06:44 PM
    and the end point of this useless request for Windows 3.1 thru ME is what buy a good tablet to run crappy software and then get more whiny kids complaining about the PB???

I'd would settle for a PB that has a decent browser (aka FF like) and a few more interactive features heck while we are wishing why not an interactive RIM tech on the board to help out its customer base....now that would be great...
    dendroica likes this.
    04-15-12 06:47 PM
    XP was the first windows to not be a shell on DOS ,Windows ME technically is the newest it can run, but due to limited resources win 98 is the best dosbox can do
    Wrong. Windows as a "shell" only goes up to Windows 3.11. After that, since Windows 95, it is a pre-emptive multitasking OS (while Win 3.1 and before are cooperative multitasking). When it has pre-emptive, it cannot be a "shell" at the same time. As a matter of fact, even it is arguable if Win 3.1 is a shell or not, some would say only Windows 1.x and 2.x are shells.

When Windows NT 3.1 came out, there is no DOS shell to start the OS, it starts with itself. Then there is NT 3.5, 4.0, and 2000. All these versions predates XP.
    04-23-12 10:04 PM
    ..well, ahhh, well, would cut down boot time from 2 and a half minutes to 30 seconds...
    I don't know, if this is such a good idea - besides technical challenges.
    We Playbook folks LOVE our boot screen (colorful circles) - guys, honestly , let's stay with what we've got, or what will come: i.e. OS 3 could have a boot time of, YES, 20 minutes - looking forward to this 500 MB upgrade. So in conclusion, Windows? No, thank you.
    04-24-12 08:36 PM
    Please don't get me wrong, but no matter how many times I read this thread, I always ask myself of why we need to load Windows OS on PlayBook?...

I even have Window's tablet but never thought of how to load QNX on it...

There must be something wrong in me, right?
    04-25-12 06:12 AM
    What fun. Let's put an old outdated OS on our shiny new toy that we can do what with? Play outdated old tired games? So we can usd old versions of software? Just because?
    jafobabe likes this.
    04-25-12 07:01 AM
    Please don't get me wrong, but no matter how many times I read this thread, I always ask myself of why we need to load Windows OS on PlayBook?...

I even have Window's tablet but never thought of how to load QNX on it...

There must be something wrong in me, right?
    Why? Because it's possible - the same reason I bought and installed a DivIDE for my 1983-vintage Timex Sinclair 2068, allowing me to load dozens of programs in little time from a flash card for a system that pre-dated flash drives by more than a decade - because it's possible.

Some of us just like to do things for the heck of it. It's not some whacked-out conspiracy to make folks look bad - it's to push hardware to the limits of possible just for the heck of it - to answer the question: Can it be done?
    06-21-12 07:35 PM
    Why? Because it's possible - the same reason I bought and installed a DivIDE for my 1983-vintage Timex Sinclair 2068, allowing me to load dozens of programs in little time from a flash card for a system that pre-dated flash drives by more than a decade - because it's possible.

Some of us just like to do things for the heck of it. It's not some whacked-out conspiracy to make folks look bad - it's to push hardware to the limits of possible just for the heck of it - to answer the question: Can it be done?
    By all means then, port Windows8 to the PlayBook and have it run from within a virtual machine, like android apps in 2.0.1.
    06-22-12 01:01 AM
    Just buy a win8 tab.. Or wait till BB10 comes out
    06-22-12 04:26 AM
    Much more practical answer than "to see if we can" would be the reason I was brought to this thread...........to run windows games on something a of alot more convenient than hauling around my 17" dell laptop..........and oh no i just offended the whiners that come on here and about people wanting to "play" on their Blackberry product.......
    12-01-12 06:55 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD