I've just read Kevin's post.... While I agree with most of his comments, I would like a bit of an update to the PB OS.

Content Consumption
    Personally, I'd like the PB OS to improve videos to include AC3. I'd like the photos to improve Zooming resolution to get 1:1 for pixel peeping.

Content Creation
    BB10's new multimedia offerings are awesome as rich content creation ideas. That might be too much for the PB. But an improved keyboard might well be within its 1GB RAM limitations. Evernote, Blogs, CrackBerry apps and other similar offerings are in the "Text Creation" space. But to do that you need a good keyboard. I would love the Zed10 keyboard in the PB OS.

Browser Capability
    HTML5 and Flash is great. However the present PB browser can't view SSRS reports very well and can't run Silverlight sites at all. If this is to be a corporate tool, the PB can get a distinct advantage over iPads or Androids who also can't handle Microsoft's web internal webs inside many corporates. Microsoft's tablet offerings may have a distinct advantage here. I'm sure this is Microsoft's fault. Improving the internal browser (or a different browser) for the "Ballmy" Microsoft world is what we need to keep the PB relevant in the corporate world. Otherwise it remains a personal device. Don't just tackle "security" ... handle "functionality" (in the corporate) too.
    02-06-13 08:09 PM
    Nice post!

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see a LOT still come to the PlayBook... so long as performance is not compromised.
    02-06-13 08:15 PM
    I think my primary reason for wanting BB10 on my PB is for the app selection. I feel like PB OS is kind of dead right now, there isn't too much incentive for the devs to bring stuff to it. I don't blame them of course, I'd much rather them focus on BB10.

BB10 would simply bring new life the guy. I was able to play with an evaluation unit of a Z10 with only 1 GB of RAM (release has 2) and I thought the performance was great. I would imagine (or maybe I should say hope) that the difference between the TI OMAP 1 GHz dual core on the WiFi PB and the Snapdragon 1.5 GHz dual core on the Z10 would only be slight.
    GJHmf, pepe68 and TroubleTrouble like this.
    02-06-13 10:40 PM
    My primairy expectation is indeed more apps and maybe a browser with a little bit less checkerboarding. And oke now i'm going a keyboard thats does work so anoyingly when typing in the google searchbar when being in the pictures category (really after each letter it changes search results (stalling your typing), it must have something to do with the realtime OS kernel and direct input or something).
    And a very simple addition for people just jusing it for surfing on the coutch and no bridge or email usage on it, the ability to let it drop the wifi connection automaticly after x minutes screen off and reconnect after waking it. That way the battery will last much longer and if you receive your mail on your phone you dont need a playbook connected all the time.
    But the good thing about the playbook, it's my first BB device and it made me annoyed with my android phone and wanting a Z10.

just my 2 cents
    YorkieRay and vPOWr6 like this.
    02-07-13 04:32 AM
    My current workflow really relies on the PlayBook's gestures. Switching between running applications with one single swipe and checking date, time, connectivity, orientation lock with half a swipe (aka a peek) from a top corner became natural for me. I'd like to keep the gestures, so upgrading the app ecosystem incl. native BBM and the like would be a sufficiently large step in improving the PlayBook. Hoping for a soon PB OS 3.0 release.
    Anubie and sleekskyline120 like this.
    02-07-13 08:14 AM
    Is BB planning to release lower end phone (like curve) with BB10 ? If so I doubt they will have 2gb RAM...and probably these phone will have similar spec as playbook.
    Heavy RAM as more to do with gaming than other everyday use.
    I love my playbook but what I miss the most is the USB OTG (to connext external HD or for ethernet) and would do with improvement for the browser. I hope an update will bring me that.
    Last edited by malep; 02-08-13 at 03:54 AM.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    02-08-13 03:26 AM
    Is BB planning to release lower end phone (like curve) with BB10 ? If so I doubt they will have 2M RAM...and probably these phone will have similar spec as playbook.
    Heavy RAMas more to do with gaming than other everyday use.
    I love my playbook but what I miss the most is the USB OTG (to connext external HD or for ethernet) and would do with improvement for the browser. I hope an update will bring me that.
    I was just wondering the same thing. If the PB will have issues with 1 gb of RAM, how will lower end phones fare? Unless BB puts arbitrary limits such as "instead of 8, you can run only 6 apps concurrently"
    02-08-13 03:48 AM
    The biggest feature I want to come the playbook with the bb10 update, is the return of the bridge functionality, a portal into our z10 pim...

Kevin, how would you suggest we let BlackBerry know we need this functionality back, in the most effective way?
    Revampd and BerryWife like this.
    02-08-13 04:44 AM
    I think the new BB10 will bring a lot of core APIs, libraries etc. to the PB and this means we will probably see an increase of apps and functionality. On the other hand I'm not so sure if they will exactly bring to the PB what they call Flow as well as the hub as these things are currently tailored for a phone screen experience.

My personal wishlist is:
    - I want to use my PB for Video chats so Skype is one of the most awaited apps (in a hopefully proper integrated way)
    - DLNA!!! I want to use my PB as remote control to stream content to my TV and Room Stereo Systems (FROM the PB and(!) FROM my NAS)
    - Navigation: So far the GPS unit on my PB is pretty useless and I would be happy about an even (not up to par) BB Navigation & maps
    - A proper filemanager

Of course I also would appreciate
    - A better & faster browser
    - BBM

And for all others hope they bring back the functionality of the bridge
    Delmeister likes this.
    02-08-13 05:00 AM
    Specs matter, but the playbook should be more than sufficient if the software is optimized correctly. I am writing this on a dell mini dual booting OSX and Windows 8. If I can optimize my netbook to run the these OS comfortably with just 1GB ram, a mobile OS should easily run on the playbook.

Only a poor operating platform requires 2gb, think about the competitors and what such a statement means.

Latest iOS runs on a 800mhz Ipod touch with 256mb ram
    I run custom rom of ice cream sandwich on my old ZTE blade (same specs as ipod)

Lets say those are the absolute min specs for the core OS, any developer therefore has plenty of power/ram to play with on any higher spec phone. BB would be shooting themselves in the foot in the base OS required the majority of the ram or CPU usage of even a high spec phone.
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    02-08-13 05:42 AM
    New OS = New bugs on an old tablet with limited shelf life.

Let's just get what we have fixed and working. I don't think Blackberry will want to spend another two years fixing BB10 on the already two years old Playbook.

I would rather Blackberry produce a couple more updates for 2.1 for those of us that just want to see out the next 18 months/2 years with our Playbooks in peace and then maybe an optional BB10 OS pack for those that desperately want to land themselves in a world of pain.
    02-08-13 08:15 AM
    I have a nice decision for Kevin - he may stay at OS 2.1 and don't updated, but I'm want to upgrade my PB on os 10
    02-08-13 11:57 AM
    I don't see the 1Gb of RAM as an obstacle really. The Playbook or at least the ones that are only WiFi, won't be using some of the resources that the phones do like LTE. This frees up both processor and memory to some extent.

I see it as a mistake to delay very long as it would help in phone sales for people that are on the fence about the Z10 but own a Playbook already. I for one have a cheaper Android phone and would consider BB10 if I see it run on my Playbook. I have a fair amount of money tied up in Android apps and some fairly expensive Playbook apps. I've been on the fence for a while debating on a Galaxy S3 or possible S4 (coming soon) but a preview of BB10 on my playbook could make me side with a new Z10. The delay could very well cause me to go with a new offering from Samsung in the next month.
    02-08-13 08:16 PM
    I'm not surprised to see Kevin's article appearing AFTER the release of BB10 -- so as not to interfere with the hoopla surrounding the launch. As one of the few who have been playing with BB10, he must have realized that migrating it to the Playbook would have problems some time ago. I see this article as the first "semi-official" word from Blackberry not to expect much from any BB10 update on the Playbook. No doubt we'll here more when the "April time frame" gets closer

Perhaps its for the best. It's been apparent to me for some time that RIM has not had the slightest clue how to fix the problems with the Playbook and, in fact, kept creating new problems with each update. This had nothing to do with the development of BB10 as far as I could see. I'll give 2 examples.

1. The Browser: fair to middlin' at launch, checkerboarding increasing with updates. Since 2.1, random shut downs (I rarely have more than 2 programs open at a time and know that the shutdown has nothing to do with overloading the OS), Sure, it's faster if you disable flash and javascript. It would be faster still if you disabled all pictures and visited only mobile version of sites. However, a chief selling point for the PlayBook was that its browser was not limited like the Iphone and Ipad. Currently, the browser delivers an experience similar to when I had dial up back in 2002. Yes, it's faster than dial up but websites are more complex than in 2002 and browser must be as well. For me and many others, improving browser performance has been top of the wish list since before the change of management and layoff of staff. RIM didn't delivered after almost 2 years and many updates.

2. The Keyboard: First, the positive: the predictive text is amazing. Well done RIM! Now, the negative: Why is it after 2 years we can't have a question mark and exclamation point on the default keyboard? People have been asking for this from the beginning. When I finally bought my first Android phone this past fall, I thought the so-called predictive text sucked BUT, by simply holding the M or X key for a split second longer, I could type a ? or !. Why couldn't RIM do something like that? Or simply get rid of the 2nd shift key and move the language selection key to settings, thus creating space for these common and heavily used punctuation marks? The answer is that RIM could have easily made a fix but just didn't bother. The implication is clear: it wasn't listening. Apparently, changing its name to Blackberry hasn't improved its hearing. I've read reviews of the Z10 mentioning the requirement to swipe to another screen to use both the ? and the ! in the new, B10, super duper keyboard.

Obviously, there were other, basic fixes and improvements required and ignored, for example, the file system. And this was in a tablet designed for business. Yes, Angry Birds was a priority. No, fixing the browser and file access system wasn't.

There is so much that is good about the Playbook and I still enjoy both of mine. What I don't enjoy is the existential dread I experience each time I see the update notification. (In fact, that's why I bought the 2nd Playbook -- I keep one un-updated so I still have a usable Playbook if an update is buggy. Of all the updates I have installed, only one was 100% trouble-free (the first Os 2). Every single other update screwed up something: one made browsing impossible for a more than a week (before a fix was issued), one changed the naming of camera pictures, my contacts and calendar appointments were deleted irretrievably, and my browser got slower with every release. Rim put aside complaints with the boilerplate mantra: "Wait until BB10!!!".

Now BB10 has arrived and RIM has changed its name to Blackberry, a baptism designed to wash away all of its previous sins. Blackberry has been "born again" and is leaving behind its past.. As I said in a previous post, I expect some half-assed OS update will bring us a feature or two of BB10 and that will be it for the Playbook. Whether this causes yet more problems for Playbook users can't be known for sure but, given RIM's poor record in providing trouble-free updates, I wouldn't be surprised. Most of us would be happy with some basic improvements to the Playbook's OS and native apps but I don't expect this to happen. RIM didn't listen for 2 years and Blackberry just wants to leave the mess behind.
    dmlis, playbookpa, sok2507 and 3 others like this.
    02-09-13 10:17 AM
    Very true.
    02-09-13 12:48 PM
    Indeed, now lets wait for the next few posts going..."But when do I get BB10 on my Playbook!" or "I still want BB10! They pwrooomised!"

The reality of the current situation just doesn't sink in. No one bothers to think about the consequences anymore. It's all now now now I want the shiny!
    02-10-13 07:28 AM
    Indeed, now lets wait for the next few posts going..."But when do I get BB10 on my Playbook!" or "I still want BB10! They pwrooomised!"

The reality of the current situation just doesn't sink in. No one bothers to think about the consequences anymore. It's all now now now I want the shiny!
    There are also other consequences that effect users that aren't mentioned in Kevin's post. I've noticed hardly any updates to Apps on the Playbook in the last week or two. It's very possible that most developers are not giving any attention to apps for the Playbook now and are instead concentrating on their apps for BB10. So if we don't get BB10 soon we are indeed missing out. I suspect many new apps also won't be coming to us until they eventually give out BB10 on the Playbook.

It isn't a matter of "I want" it's a matter of if this is the right way to do business and is it fair.
    02-11-13 05:47 AM
    There are also other consequences that effect users that aren't mentioned in Kevin's post. I've noticed hardly any updates to Apps on the Playbook in the last week or two. It's very possible that most developers are not giving any attention to apps for the Playbook now and are instead concentrating on their apps for BB10. So if we don't get BB10 soon we are indeed missing out. I suspect many new apps also won't be coming to us until they eventually give out BB10 on the Playbook.

It isn't a matter of "I want" it's a matter of if this is the right way to do business and is it fair.

Maybe, maybe not. The core apps I have give me the functionality I need, I still seem to be getting half a dozen updates a week on my Playbook, no less than normal. However, since I got my Nexus 4 and Chromebook a few weeks ago the Playbook is getting a bit left out.

Things move on.
    Konfucius18 likes this.
    02-11-13 06:44 AM
    Remember that the BlackBerry app review channel is so overloaded with all the BB10 apps that got submitted before launch, updates are taking much longer than usual to get through at the moment. PlayBook app updates that used to be approved within 2 days are now taking weeks. New apps are even more hopelessly stuck in the backlog.

Edit: Having said that, I do agree devs are probably much more focused on BB10 apps at the moment.
    02-11-13 10:27 AM
    Remember that the BlackBerry app review channel is so overloaded with all the BB10 apps that got submitted before launch, updates are taking much longer than usual to get through at the moment. PlayBook app updates that used to be approved within 2 days are now taking weeks. New apps are even more hopelessly stuck in the backlog.

Edit: Having said that, I do agree devs are probably much more focused on BB10 apps at the moment.
    That too is part of my point, until BB10 comes to the Playbook we won't be seeing any of the new apps designed for BB10, such as Skype, Angry Birds Star Wars, and the whole host of apps that won't run on the Playbook OS. I doubt Skype is going to write an app for the Playbook OS as they haven't been interested for the last couple of years. There's also the issue of what's all available in the Blackberry Store, much of it will not be available to Playbook until there is an update.

Of course this is to say why I don't agree with Kevin's rational, I see the delay in BB10 for the Playbook as a bad business decision because of the apps it offers.
    02-11-13 10:38 AM
    I would also say that silently sitting out the topic of BB10 on PB is not a good business option. Users like me who come from Nokia or other brands got exited of BB10 and the Playbook (I bought 3) which were the first outlook to this cool new QNX powerd OS. Letting us wait for more information let me consider to switch horses once again :-(
    I have full understanding that BB10 might arrive only in 2-4 month due to technical issues, etc. and I don't expect a 1 to 1 copy of the phone. BUT i would like to know sooner than later what the upgrade will bring, and when we approximately can expect it!
    Last edited by kraschute; 02-12-13 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    backfire101 likes this.
    02-11-13 03:00 PM
    If BlackBerry did give us an significant OS update, resources would have to be shared. Kudos that TH and team have stayed focused and not raised false expectations, sent out mixed messages or changed the game plan mid-way. I just last week contemplated getting another cheap PB 64GB (third one) but decided against it. My thinking was that Z10 should be all that I want (when I get it) and I shouldn't need my PB upgraded for a while. When that upgrade eventually comes, I'll have a bit more life in the old fella, and I'd be so grateful. So I remain a nerdy, biased and stubborn Crackberry, thank you very much.

If, in the mean time, an iPad Mini 2 appeared, or a 7" Surface Pro, or a Nexus ... I'd recommend anyone who has spare $$$s to go for it. BlackBerry aren't out to be number 1 anymore. Hopefully they remain aware that its about working with others instead of suing the pants off the others. (BTW, I suspect Alicia Keys won't be a monogamous Z10 user. She said she'd try! .)

BlackBerry should pick the fights it can win (or give a good fight) and not try to fight in all the battles ... recipe for ruin. I happen to believe that the Enterprise is an area they can win. The building blocks are there. A solid solutions-based enterprise strategy is critical. BB PB needs Apps, but ... who's kidding who? If I want plenty of Apps, I should get an iPad, Nexus or Surface Pro. What PB needs in the OS is Enterprise solutions and tools. Androids and iOS are chasing the consumer, does BB want to lead or can they survive by just leap frogging and keeping up?

An Enterprise needs to bring corporate data, tools and processes to users in a simple and stable manner. Target users are desktop and laptop users... an maybe phone and tablet users. That last 'maybe' clause is there because the current range of phones and tablets each need a custom solution. If the PB can do this without a visit to the app store ... it an Enterprise game changer. One CIO convinced and possibly > 500 "cheap" PlayBooks are rolled out to staff with data, tools, and processes available to the enterprise mobile users that works! Enough of the user-based BYOD!!!
    02-13-13 12:36 AM
    The browser definitely needs speeding up for how it handles javascript. And the android emulator needs a tuneup. Some of the news reader android ports stutter and lag a lot
    02-13-13 04:28 AM
    The main addition I want to see BB10 bring to the PlayBook is Cascades. As a developer, the ability to create native apps for both the BB10 powered phones and the BB10 PlayBook with minimal porting work is a plus that should bring more high quality apps the PlayBook 's way.

I agree with Kevin that there should be some user interaction differences between the phone and tablet versions of BB10. The side swipe gesture for switching between apps is definitely something that needs to stay.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-14-13 04:55 PM
    for my playbook, i want ...improved browser, bbm, keyboard, skype, dropbox... really, these things are overdue. otherwise, they wouldn't have had to sell them for $99/$149
    nojotech and kraschute like this.
    02-16-13 06:59 AM
83 123 ...