Well, like most of you (except those dumbstruck rimjockeys out there) I'd had a gut full of RIM/BB and the BB10 debacle, its utterly inexcusable and is probably the precursor to the ultimate demise of BB, sad to say but they are as good as sunk.

That said, the PB was a promising little tablet, and mine has just had its life extended by the following: -

Installed Origami Browser - finally the playbook has a usable web interface!!! (I urge you to donate for that!) - and set it to use duckduckgo.com as the default search engine.

Sideloading via my macbookpro using the chrome extension, primarily the fixed spotify app, but feel free to suggest some more....

And wuaki.tv finally I can watch some movies/tv on this thing!

Perhaps there is life in the little old dog yet?
    chaosdivine likes this.
    07-09-13 03:02 AM
    This is exactly why I bought my playbook for, web browsing and watching movies. Then I discovered bridge, and I used to walk around my house with PlayBook without even touching my phone. Sadly lost my bb9900, so now my playbook is only used for internet browsing and movies. It does the job and for $60, almost new, i couldn't pass on this tablet. I wasn't disappointed about PB not getting BB10 because I never bought it for BB10.
    Not looking to replace this bad guy any time soon!
    anon(55900) likes this.
    07-09-13 04:35 AM
    I'll keep using my Playbook bridged to my Torch as long as possible. BB missed the boat on not upgrading the playbook. When I'm on the train heading home & working through the 45 minute ride doing e-mails and working with attachments it helps me stay ahead of work and makes the travel time productive. Which is why I went to BB in the 1st place. Since the Z10 will not work with my Playbook I'll not be upgrading soon.
    Carl Estes, Revampd, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    07-09-13 04:57 AM
    I'll keep using my Playbook bridged to my Torch as long as possible. BB missed the boat on not upgrading the playbook. When I'm on the train heading home & working through the 45 minute ride doing e-mails and working with attachments it helps me stay ahead of work and makes the travel time productive. Which is why I went to BB in the 1st place. Since the Z10 will not work with my Playbook I'll not be upgrading soon.

This EXACTLY why I am waiting to buy my Z10. IF they restore Bridge to full functionality, then I will get my Z10. Otherwise,
    it looks like Samsung may be peeking in my wallet in the future.

C
    tofnow, kabelace and DYLANHABKIRK like this.
    07-09-13 08:25 AM
    This EXACTLY why I am waiting to buy my Z10. IF they restore Bridge to full functionality, then I will get my Z10. Otherwise,
    it looks like Samsung may be peeking in my wallet in the future.

C
    I would like to share the exact same feeling, althought I'm not sure if it will be Samsung, thought it is a pretty good candidate!

Shame on BB for moving back on their promise and letting fans out!
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    07-09-13 10:15 AM
    Agreed with OP -- I use my PB regardless and enjoy it, but the Origami browser gives it a new lease on life. Developer deserves major kudos.

Shame on BB indeed!
    Barracuda7772 and MrNutt like this.
    07-09-13 02:57 PM
    I would like to share the exact same feeling, althought I'm not sure if it will be Samsung, thought it is a pretty good candidate!

Shame on BB for moving back on their promise and letting fans out!
    I agree BB should have never said BB10 would make it to the PB if they werent sure they could do it it was a major let down.

Google does the same with android. They say its just as secure as any other platform, but it isnt. A report was released last week that 99% of all android are vunrable and not bits and parts but the whole phone. The hacker would have more control over the phone than the owner.

Apple does it they kept saying the iphone 4 was fine nothing was wrong with it just people werent using it properly. then weeks later yes the iphone has a defect but too bad we are not fixing it or recalling it. So you guys just need to deal with it.

Microsoft did all devices with one screen and os. Phone, tablet, computer adn xbox. Then just after the phones were launched the tblet was removed from the list. So its 2 screens and os's for 4 devices.

They all do it. So which company can you trust then. Not BB, not apple, not google and not microsoft.
    07-09-13 03:18 PM
    Yes but all of the above have long since stopped releasing kit thats half baked, then promise a major OS update, continually leak info about it and then EOL the whole platform. Ongoing tech support is a waste of time...

...or is it, I wonder what would happen if playbook owners took upon themselves to make use of the ongoing tech support, on a daily basis? Perhaps the increased levels of "customer contact" they might sit up.and listen?
    07-09-13 04:19 PM
    The final version of OrigamiBrowser is going to rock and it is sooooo worth a donation. Once the final version comes out, I am supporting this developer. Origami is awesome...if you don't know how to side load, learn to. I just discovered today that you can use DDPB to install bar files via wi-fi (you do not need to always use the microUSB cord tether) from your computer (PC - most likely Mac too). I'll put together a tutorial with screenshots if people ask...
    07-09-13 06:17 PM
    You guys holding out on a Z10 are not doing yourself Any favors. I was using a 9900 and my play book which was sweet. Cause the PlayBook is so much nicer experience then the 9900. But after getting the Z10 there's really no need to use the PlayBook.tye PlayBook feels old now The z10 outdoes the PlayBook in pretty much all areas. The only thing the PlayBook has is a bit bigger screen... But the z10 is crisper.. and now that there is a Kobo app I have pretty much no reason to use my PlayBook. and really the PlayBook is like 2 years old it's probably best for BlackBerry to not be doing free updates for it and just making their new line of stuff more awesome

Sam
    07-09-13 06:36 PM
    Wait until your Z10 is two years old and they EOL your shiny device...it will happen to you too, eventually.

You guys holding out on a Z10 are not doing yourself Any favors. I was using a 9900 and my play book which was sweet. Cause the PlayBook is so much nicer experience then the 9900. But after getting the Z10 there's really no need to use the PlayBook.tye PlayBook feels old now The z10 outdoes the PlayBook in pretty much all areas. The only thing the PlayBook has is a bit bigger screen... But the z10 is crisper.. and now that there is a Kobo app I have pretty much no reason to use my PlayBook. and really the PlayBook is like 2 years old it's probably best for BlackBerry to not be doing free updates for it and just making their new line of stuff more awesome

Sam
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-09-13 06:45 PM
    Wait until your Z10 is two years old and they EOL your shiny device...it will happen to you too, eventually.
    Welcome to the world of modern technology. EOL after two years is a pretty standard affair.

Having said that, I do understand the frustration of PlayBook users who were hoping BlackBerry would deliver after confirming BB10 for the PlayBook, but it's ultimately not a move that would make much financial sense, especially if BlackBerry 10 wasn't working as well as they wanted it to on the PB. Very few other manufacturers would even bother trying to provide an OS update for a two-year-old device whose sales were a complete flop, and the ones that would are probably in a much better financial position than BlackBerry.
    07-09-13 07:22 PM
    And then I'll buy a new up to date device instead of complaining and saying they owe me With an old device. 2 year newer device will dominate the old one.

Sam
    07-09-13 08:58 PM
    Well, all I have to say is people like you keep CEO's rich...good on ya. Somebody has to line their pockets.

And then I'll buy a new up to date device instead of complaining and saying they owe me With an old device. 2 year newer device will dominate the old one.

Sam
    07-09-13 11:59 PM
    The final version of OrigamiBrowser is going to rock and it is sooooo worth a donation. Once the final version comes out, I am supporting this developer. Origami is awesome...if you don't know how to side load, learn to. I just discovered today that you can use DDPB to install bar files via wi-fi (you do not need to always use the microUSB cord tether) from your computer (PC - most likely Mac too). I'll put together a tutorial with screenshots if people ask...
    Nope, windows only. For Mac, Linux, chromeOS use Chrome (chromium on linux) browser and Playbook App Manager. Another dev worth donating to. See Crackberry guide.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    07-10-13 02:38 AM
    Very few other manufacturers would even bother trying to provide an OS update for a two-year-old device whose sales were a complete flop, and the ones that would are probably in a much better financial position than BlackBerry.
    Who are they kidding. They never even tried to get bb10 on it since they released the phones. To them it served the purpose of test bed for the launch of the phones.
    07-10-13 03:01 AM
    Bridge works with BlackBerry 10. If it is the data and remote control features you are looking for. The email and BBM bridge aren't there, but you have a phone right next to you for that. You can always set up the email accounts on the PlayBook and then you aren't even missing that since you have the data connection to get emails.

Yes bridge isn't as good, but it is still pretty slick. I hope they add those features back.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 12:18 PM
    Who are they kidding. They never even tried to get bb10 on it since they released the phones. To them it served the purpose of test bed for the launch of the phones.
    There were quite a few reports of test versions of BB10 for the PlayBook being previewed to certain interested parties over the last several months, not to mention that many apps in leaked versions of OS 10.2 have support for the PlayBook's resolution, and certain recent versions of the OS will even attempt to boot on the PlayBook (and older versions will full-out work with extensive tinkering). Though we can play conspiracy theory all day long, I can easily believe that they tried, they weren't satisfied with the performance, and made the decision to dump it.
    yellowhammer likes this.
    07-10-13 06:09 PM
    There were quite a few reports of test versions of BB10 for the PlayBook being previewed to certain interested parties over the last several months, not to mention that many apps in leaked versions of OS 10.2 have support for the PlayBook's resolution, and certain recent versions of the OS will even attempt to boot on the PlayBook (and older versions will full-out work with extensive tinkering). Though we can play conspiracy theory all day long, I can easily believe that they tried, they weren't satisfied with the performance, and made the decision to dump it.
    Bull. Did you get to sign up for the public beta of BB10 for the Playbook? How many of the ex-RIMers did you speak with telling you they busted their ball$ getting the job done so that they could deliver BB10 for the Playbook. Oh, none. I see. Thor brought the almighty hammer down and cut the purse strings. The division was vapourized.
    07-10-13 06:50 PM
    Bull. Did you get to sign up for the public beta of BB10 for the Playbook? How many of the ex-RIMers did you speak with telling you they busted their ball$ getting the job done so that they could deliver BB10 for the Playbook. Oh, none. I see. Thor brought the almighty hammer down and cut the purse strings. The division was vapourized.
    Okay, I can't prove the reports of the test versions of BB10 being previewed, but none of what you just said explains the rest of it. Feel free to continue to stick to your clearly emotionally-driven conspiracy theory, I'm just looking at cold hard facts.
    07-10-13 06:55 PM

Sam
    It's good but not that good in my mind. I like my Z10 but when people say the Z10 makes playbook redundant I have to laugh, browsing on the Z10's small screen is nowhere near as enjoyable,nor is watching movies. Sorry but the Z10 while good is a phone the playbook is more viewable for a lot of things.

I too will not be upgrading after my Z10, if my next phone won't bridge with my playbook why does it need to be a blackberry? Plus BBM will be cross platform so again no need to stay blackberry. I like the Z10 but it's not "all that" and blackberry updates, release dates and promises are as always dissapointing.
    07-13-13 10:31 AM
    Well, like most of you (except those dumbstruck rimjockeys out there) I'd had a gut full of RIM/BB and the BB10 debacle, its utterly inexcusable and is probably the precursor to the ultimate demise of BB, sad to say but they are as good as sunk.

That said, the PB was a promising little tablet, and mine has just had its life extended by the following: -

Installed Origami Browser - finally the playbook has a usable web interface!!! (I urge you to donate for that!) - and set it to use duckduckgo.com as the default search engine.

Sideloading via my macbookpro using the chrome extension, primarily the fixed spotify app, but feel free to suggest some more....

And wuaki.tv finally I can watch some movies/tv on this thing!

Perhaps there is life in the little old dog yet?
    Great, so it's another sideload. I'm tired of that.
    07-13-13 10:39 AM
    This is exactly why I bought my playbook for, web browsing and watching movies. Then I discovered bridge, and I used to walk around my house with PlayBook without even touching my phone. Sadly lost my bb9900, so now my playbook is only used for internet browsing and movies. It does the job and for $60, almost new, i couldn't pass on this tablet. I wasn't disappointed about PB not getting BB10 because I never bought it for BB10.
    Not looking to replace this bad guy any time soon!
    No offence but you came in on the tail end of the BlackBerry PlayBook and bought it for peanuts. Those of us who bought early in the life cycle, particularly the early adopters, purchased the tablet as a sign of support during the earliest days of the transition from BBOS to BB10, deserve to be treated better by BlackBerry (nee Research In Motion). The lies and deceit exhibited but CEO Thorsten Heins during the past two years is inexcusable; a child continually lying to their parents would have been disciplined severely in most cultures.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-13-13 10:53 AM
    Bridge works with BlackBerry 10. If it is the data and remote control features you are looking for. The email and BBM bridge aren't there, but you have a phone right next to you for that. You can always set up the email accounts on the PlayBook and then you aren't even missing that since you have the data connection to get emails.

Yes bridge isn't as good, but it is still pretty slick. I hope they add those features back.

Posted via CB10
    I do not want email and contacts and calendar on multiple devices when the technology exists to keep it on the smartphone and viewable on the tablet as though it is on the tablet.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    bob_tn and Carl Estes like this.
    07-13-13 11:01 AM
    I still find the Playbook to be my favourite tablet. The lack of bridging with my Q10 sucks, but I hope BB/RIM continues to support it. I don't really care if it gets BB10, but creating a workable bridge would be nice. It's an excellent tablet (and I paid full price).

Downloading OrigamiBrowser right now, thanks for the suggestion!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-01-13 08:15 AM