RIM is doing the right thing; they've created multiple opportunities for developers to jump onto the QNX wagon; I believe it's a matter of time, but everyone will have a very different opinion of RIM, they Playbook, the next-generation phones (BB10) and QNX in general once the apps finally start pouring in.

Having said that, there's a bunch of things I would love to see RIM do with the Android Player to ensure the experience is as pleasant as possible;

Multiple Android Player instances; everyone has suffered this; load enough Android apps and the Player will eventually freeze. We're asking for a task killer, but I think multiple instances would allow for apps to run individually. Also, it would allow for a consistent user experience: multitasking by swapping between screens. I love LastPass and when I want to use it with other Android Apps, I depend on the bottom bar. It's not the worst experience ever, but I would like consistency.

Android 3.1, or Tablet mode; many apps I've side-loaded seem to be dependent on the Android Player OS version to determine what type of behavior will be used in some apps. Playbook is a tablet, but the Android Player is a phone in landscape mode.

Android Player Options; I've installed Dolphin HD Browser and Boat Browser. When I run an Android App that launches I get asked --every time-- which browser I want to use to carry out the current action. I would love to tell the Android Player that I will use a specific Android App for a type of action or behavior. I'm sure there's other option-related issues, but this is the current bone I'm picking.

Android Player calls BBPB App and BBPB App calls an Android App; similar to the point above, I would love the Android Player to consider some native BBPB Apps to carry out a task; ie: have the BBPB Browser as an option to see a link.

File System Integration; this might be ignorance on my part, but it seems the Android Player is a simulated instance of Android running by itself. When I'm browsing for files, BBPB can only see files from a BBPB perspective, and Android will not allow (easily) a way to show a list of files outside the Android simulation running.

So there you have it, a great idea: the Android Player with a few tweaks that would allow BBPB users to have a better Android experience than users with an Android-only OS.

I'm sure that a year from today, most apps will have a native version for the Playbook, but until then, let's try to show what QNX is really about; an OS that does linux like it was meant to be used, not the Android instance that --while good in many ways-- has been artificially limited to be comparable and understandable by people that don't know linux from iOS.
    yanicmb likes this.
    03-11-12 06:50 PM
    What about having it run in the background ALL the time it's getting annoying to see it "loading " all the time
    03-12-12 03:13 AM
    They need to use less memory.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-12-12 08:00 AM
    Since its a full virtual machine having it run all the time or multiple instances would be a very bad idea. Remember, the tablet only has 1GB of RAM.
    anon(3896606) and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-12-12 08:09 AM
    Since its a full virtual machine having it run all the time or multiple instances would be a very bad idea. Remember, the tablet only has 1GB of RAM.
    I guess some people forget...
    03-12-12 08:28 AM
    I guess some people forget...
    LOL could you imagine the complaints if RIM allowed more than one instance? I think people should, on their PC, run a full VM of another OS, and set the available RAM for the VM to HALF their systems physical memory. Then try to open another instance of the same VM haha.
    03-12-12 08:33 AM
    LOL could you imagine the complaints if RIM allowed more than one instance? I think people should, on their PC, run a full VM of another OS, and set the available RAM for the VM to HALF their systems physical memory. Then try to open another instance of the same VM haha.
    You should say that with a disclaimer! LOL
    "If this horribly breaks your computer, it is not my fault!"
    Good enough!
    03-12-12 08:53 AM
    Yep, RIM should also upgrade the Ram to 16GB!

Unfortunately it seems like the majority of Apps being converted and horrible apps. Sorry if I offend someone, I didn't say all, I said the Majority.

What is going on? RIM has opened a flood gate of garbage!

Can the Android not run big name games or quality apps? What the heck is the point? It's becomes counter productive to bury quality native apps in an AppWorld full of Androids junk.

03-13-12 06:14 AM
    Not being a VM expert of any kind, I really didn't think too much about the implication of separate instances. I'm guessing it would be too much of a RAM hog if they did it that way, and there's really no point in pouring resources in improving the simulator when it's only the first step of a strategy, not the end goal for it.

RIM wants Android developers to develop for the QNX platform, not to emulate an Android environment.

Thanks for the feedback.
    03-16-12 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD