Hi guys,

Looks like I need some help. I decided to try out the Dolphin browser a couple of nights ago but after trying it out and noticing that it uses a lot of power when running while not working any better than the native browser I decided that I did not actually like it and removed the browser. However, now my battery is still draining like mad, even though the application is uninstalled. Nothing else changed on my device in the last few days, other than the install and a subsequent uninstall of the Dolphin browser.

As it is right now, the PB cannot last 24 hours in idle if it is not hooked up to a charger. The reason why I am convinced that it has something to do with the Dolphin browser is because it started happening at the exact same time that I installed the new browser, and is persisting even after removal (I remember reading stuff about Android apps doing this type of stuff). I have also noticed that the back of the BP, around the logo where the chip is tend to get much warmer than before, as though I am running some intense tasks in the back end, though I cannot see what, if anything is running.

Any ideas what to do short of a full wipe and manual reinstall of each app (restore from backup will probably not work as it may restore whatever is causing this issue in the first place)?
    07-31-12 12:16 PM
    Have you restarted the PlayBook since uninstalling?
    07-31-12 01:12 PM
    Yep, several times, including a hard-reset. I am now in the process of draining the battery and recharging it in case something got screwed up with the power management on the battery itself. I will have to run Battery Guru once I recharge the PB tonight and see what is the power usage in watts.
    07-31-12 02:03 PM
    Some folks have reported that merely Pressing/Holding an icon till they all pulse/blink and then Deleting does not always remove apps, particularly Android apps. How did you remove it?

You can install Ghost Commander - it has an option to remove android apps.
    07-31-12 07:05 PM
    If you installed it using a .bar file with BBH Tool, you should uninstall using the same method. I found you need to hang on to those .bar files in order to remove an app from the Playbook. I will remove the icon as well.

How was it installed? If not uninstall correctly, it could be running in the background on you.
    07-31-12 07:51 PM
    Some folks have reported that merely Pressing/Holding an icon till they all pulse/blink and then Deleting does not always remove apps, particularly Android apps. How did you remove it?

You can install Ghost Commander - it has an option to remove android apps.
    If you installed it using a .bar file with BBH Tool, you should uninstall using the same method. I found you need to hang on to those .bar files in order to remove an app from the Playbook. I will remove the icon as well.

How was it installed? If not uninstall correctly, it could be running in the background on you.
    It was installed from App World and uninstalled by holding an icon until they all pulse and then deleting. I have checked, and Battery Guru is reporting 4.20W at idle with WiFi enabled and nothing else running. Bluetooth is off. That is very high for idle power consumption. Something is definitely running in the background.

I will try Ghost Commander and report back.

If you have any other ideas in the meantime, let me know.
    07-31-12 09:11 PM
    It was installed from App World and uninstalled by holding an icon until they all pulse and then deleting. I have checked, and Battery Guru is reporting 4.20W at idle with WiFi enabled and nothing else running. Bluetooth is off. That is very high for idle power consumption. Something is definitely running in the background.

I will try Ghost Commander and report back.

If you have any other ideas in the meantime, let me know.
    By holding down the icon until it flashed, then all you did was delete the icon. One needs to go back into App World and select MyWorld from the top menu. Then scroll down until you locate Dolphin Browser and select delete from the right side of the screen.
    07-31-12 09:16 PM
    You CAN NOT delete an android app just by pressing the icon.
    You have to use an 3rp party app manager to delete it completely.

Try this app manager plugin for Chrome on your PC
    PlayBook App Manager
    07-31-12 11:11 PM
    Well, looks like nothing helped. Whatever that program did and left on my PlayBook is really causing havoc on the system. The battery drains in approximately 6 hours by 50% (that's 8.33% per hour, wow) when the unit is in idle with only WiFi enabled and that is it. Normally, it would drain about 4% per night in idle. I am in the process of doing a full wipe and restore now so we will see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Let's hope this is not a hardware problem.
    08-01-12 09:10 AM
    Good luck and do report back.
    08-01-12 08:02 PM
    Good luck and do report back.
    Well, I reloaded the OS using the same procedure when you have a bricked PB and my initial impression is that the problem is resolved. I did 1080p high definition playback last night for 3.5 hours straight with WiFi on the whole time and that caused about 45% of the battery to drain. That seems about normal to me as I don't think I ever had more than 7-8 hours of battery life for 1080p playback. I have left the PB this morning sitting in idle with WiFi on and battery at 80% and will see what it is at when I get home from work. Total time idling will be approximately 8-9 hours, and I am expecting a 3%-5% drop in battery by the time I am home. If this works then the problem is solved.

I'll keep everyone posted.
    08-02-12 12:38 PM
    try another browser on same sites and see if same.
    if not - suspect nailed...

Damian
    08-02-12 12:56 PM
    Good luck...
    this well-meant phrase used in so many forums -
    but is it only me thinking someone having a problem is send into the dark?

regards
    Damian
    08-02-12 01:29 PM
    It is now confirmed, full wipe and reinstall fixed the battery drain problem. I'm back to 2%-3% battery drain per night with email configured and WiFi enabled. Lesson learned is to staying away from Dolphin from now on.
    08-05-12 01:22 PM
    which version of Dolphin?
    08-13-12 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD