This is a table scrap of positive news that something is in the pipes for the PlayBook for sure...(click on image to enlarge slightly).

Attachment 131733
    harshalbid271 likes this.
    01-18-13 12:22 PM
    Soo.. essentially, nothing new. lol
    phylez, bungaboy, howarmat and 6 others like this.
    01-18-13 12:28 PM
    Well depending on how you look at it. I mean, we've heard nothing for quite some time officially that BB 10 was coming to the PlayBook. So, to me at least, this states that something is indeed coming to the PlayBook and reinforces that fact. It doesn't say anything else obviously. But reassurance is comforting in our wait.
    harshalbid271 likes this.
    01-18-13 12:44 PM
    Agreed, any confirmation/reassurance is good news. We've all confidently assumed it was coming to the PB, but there was still the tiny sliver of doubt that it wouldn't or that it would take forever and a day (knowing RIM...). This helps cast that aside.
    01-18-13 12:48 PM
    There's no doubt its coming. Look for June/July release
    01-18-13 12:54 PM
    Well depending on how you look at it. I mean, we've heard nothing for quite some time officially that BB 10 was coming to the PlayBook. So, to me at least, this states that something is indeed coming to the PlayBook and reinforces that fact. It doesn't say anything else obviously. But reassurance is comforting in our wait.
    I guess assuming you had doubts to begin with. I never had any and already know PlayBook development has been ongoing.
    BB_Bmore and Sith_Apprentice like this.
    01-18-13 01:04 PM
    I guess assuming you had doubts to begin with. I never had any and already know PlayBook development has been ongoing.
    You assumed correctly. Having been through the webOS abandonment fiasco on the HP TouchPad (Open webOS won't support the TouchPad), I have to admit that I get nervous easily when promises by tech companies are made to support their hardware and software and as a result, doubt settles in when there isn't a lot of official chatter and activity in the press and as well as their own beta forums. Like a cranky baby, this will soothe me until sometime in the future.

An aside: I am glad I came over to the RIMPIRE and this is where I plan to stay for quite some time for I strongly admire the fact that RIM is not abandoning their PlayBook users like HP did with theirs. For them to support me encourages me to support them with my dollars.
    01-18-13 01:18 PM
    It would be a welcome surprise if there is an announcement on 30 January 2013 saying BlackBerry OS 10 will be released for the BlackBerry PlayBook within 2 weeks.
    01-19-13 07:16 AM
    Having been through the webOS abandonment fiasco on the HP TouchPad (Open webOS won't support the TouchPad), I have to admit that I get nervous easily when promises by tech companies are made to support their hardware and software and as a result, doubt settles in when there isn't a lot of official chatter and activity in the press and as well as their own beta forums.
    Um... HP officially abandoned the TouchPad with the firesale. It was pretty doubtful that the OS would be updated. Most people bought it to use as-is (a super cheap tablet) or had hopes for an Android port, which became a reality. (Android, even Jelly Bean, is available as dual-boot.)
    01-19-13 01:00 PM
    Its not like I don't already know this - talk about obvious. The thing is when HP announced Open webOS the vast majority of people (obviously not you with your incredible foresight and accuracy) thought that the HP Touchpad would get an OS update and no not the Community Edition either - but the real deal. HP strung along their users for an additional year and then got bored and pulled the plug on all existing hardware.

Anyhow do you have any BB10 news to add or share to this thread to enhance it? No, thought not.
    Um... HP officially abandoned the TouchPad with the firesale. It was pretty doubtful that the OS would be updated. Most people bought it to use as-is (a super cheap tablet) or had hopes for an Android port, which became a reality. (Android, even Jelly Bean, is available as dual-boot.)
    01-19-13 02:21 PM
    Look for June/July release
    What is this based on?
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-19-13 07:09 PM
    I'm expecting BB10 for the PlayBook to drop with the release of the phone. I don't think the current version on the PlayBook will Bridge with BB10. So everyone, except those few people with the LTE version, should see an immediate release. This is just my guess.
    01-19-13 11:31 PM
    it is xoming sooner than we think

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-19-13 11:38 PM
    Let it xom then! :;
    1oo1 likes this.
    01-20-13 03:08 AM
    WoW, that tells us a lot. Thanks, sir.
    01-20-13 09:53 PM
    I guess the takeaway form this is that at least RIM is still acknowledging there's the notion of BB10 for Playbook. lol.

Seriously though, I'm sure it will come in due time. In a sense PBOS was the test beds from which BB10 developed from. It's a nice giveback for PB users to get the fruits of their "testing" labour.
    01-21-13 02:01 PM
    But somebody with a friend at Rim said the outlook wasnt good lol
    01-21-13 02:06 PM
    That's largely true - in terms of why I bought a HP TouchPad - but just to mention, there's been at least one software / OS upgrade for the HP TouchPad / WebOS since the firesale. The TouchPad at Wongsky Towers still runs WebOS, I've never dallied with Android on it - not that I'm averse to dabbling with such software, but the TouchPad is for the use of 'er indoors ;-) / SWMBO.
    01-22-13 04:12 AM
    "Lips are sealed! Good things to come!"

Basically all of us at RIM are going to pretend to forget that Playbook ever happened!
    01-22-13 07:52 AM
    That's largely true - in terms of why I bought a HP TouchPad - but just to mention, there's been at least one software / OS upgrade for the HP TouchPad / WebOS since the firesale. The TouchPad at Wongsky Towers still runs WebOS, I've never dallied with Android on it - not that I'm averse to dabbling with such software, but the TouchPad is for the use of 'er indoors ;-) / SWMBO.
    Off topic, this talk of the TouchPad, but yes, webOS 3.0.5 was a nice parting gift from HP. I have CyanogenMod 10 (Jelly Bean) on my TouchPad as well. Installation is a breeze these days. It might bring more life to your TouchPad if you find it lacking these days...

If RIM were ever to stop updating the current PlayBook, I hope they'll unlock it for devs to port an open source OS onto it.
    01-23-13 04:03 AM
    "Lips are sealed! Good things to come!"

Basically all of us at RIM are going to pretend to forget that Playbook ever happened!
    Actually I was part of the Last Chance Port-a-Thon this past weekend, and whenever the question about screen resolution came up, they gave the screen resolution of the Z10, but then made sure to point out that at some point the Playbook was getting BB10 and gave the screen resolution for that as well. I don't think they are forgetting about the Playbook, just have the phone as a priority right now.
    DariusG1996 likes this.
    01-23-13 11:00 AM
    I'd say BB10 for the Playbook will likely drop when the 'Blackforest 128' 10" tablet is ready to launch. I'm expecting a teaser of this on launch day.

A lot of the gestures that the 10" will use will likely be the same adopted by the 7" form factor, so they'll like have a BB10 developer beta for the Playbook's first that they'll use to test out the app environment and the ergonomics of the new gestures before making it a public release.

That being said, I'd also expect an update for the Playbook that brings in the native BB10 bridging functionality on or near the launch date. It's timed right for the update cycle and the last build was really just an incredibly minor update. Almost a vanity update, one might say, just so they could say they legitimately stuck to their ~45 day update cycle without really investing much time in updating the build.

I'm excited to see how they cross sell the BB10 phones with the tablets due to new functionalities that will come from having a native wifi bridge between the two devices. It's a feature we really haven't seen anything about yet, but it's definitely going to be there.
    01-23-13 11:47 AM