I'm an existing playbook owner and bought another today for my son's birthday, he's away at a Scout camp at the mo' and I want to set it up for him whilst he's away so its ready to go 'out of the box' trouble is it cant find the update server.
    The error is...
    "Could not connect to the update server.(9)"
    My own playbook is connected to my wifi ok and sees the update server (well it tells me there's no update anyway )
    Any pointers much appreciated
    03-24-12 02:44 PM
    I just bought a playbook and can't use it because it can't update. There is no way to start the thing without updating. It just gives the error "Could not connect to update server. (9)". My wifi works fine by the way, I already created a new Blackberry ID with the device.

It has been 3 hours now...
    03-24-12 03:34 PM
    Sometimes I hear people with a problem like this, but usually they just try again in a couple hours or the next day, and the servers repond.
    03-24-12 03:51 PM
    after the 4th or 5th time of trying to debrick it by turning it on when connected to teh PC with Blackberry DM already running it decided to detect it, OS2 downloaded, all set up ! no rhyme nor reason but fixed
    03-24-12 03:53 PM
    Ah, after the 6th time of powering down and trying the desktop manager, it finally showed an 'update' button! I first had to use the 'Ignore device' menu option for the DM to forget the playbook and try again.

It's now downloading. Can't wait!

(The playbook now really has to prove itself, after this rather cumbersome first steps.)
    03-24-12 04:07 PM
    Don't worry it will
    03-24-12 09:30 PM
    Hi There i am having the same issues in setting up my blackberry tablet, Ive downloaded the Blackberry Desktop Software, but you guys refer to the Manager, am I downloading the wrong thing. Also i connect with my USB cable from the tablet to my computer, but it doesn't seem to recognise I have the device attached.

Anyone can help much appreciated. Ive been trying to resolve this since yesterday. So frustrating.
    03-25-12 04:30 AM
    The can not connect to server error can be solved by deleting / recreating the wifi connection on the pb ( unless the server is actually down of course )
    03-25-12 06:30 AM
    So I got OS 2 installed in the end. Certainly a nice OS, but the browser and android player freezes about once or twice every day. Only a reboot fixes it. It's quite a useless device this way.
    03-28-12 06:43 AM
    Once or twice a day = useless? While it DOES need to be fixed I'm not sure it's useless. If it happened all the time then yes it would be useless.

I can always or most of the time tell when it's going to happen as things start to slow down.
    03-28-12 07:37 AM
    Well, "useless" is subjective, but since it needs a complete reboot just to get the browser up and running again is pretty bad. Windows 98-blue-screen-of-death kind of bad. Especially since the lag of apps means I need the browser for a lot of things. It would help a lot if only one tab would crash.
    03-28-12 08:11 AM
    I've had a browser crash here and there and yes it is annoying. I have to wonder if there is something more wrong with yours. I've never had to reboot to get my browser back. It goes poof, I open it, clear everything, close it and off I go.
    Norman_C likes this.
    03-28-12 09:08 AM
    I've had a browser crash here and there and yes it is annoying. I have to wonder if there is something more wrong with yours. I've never had to reboot to get my browser back. It goes poof, I open it, clear everything, close it and off I go.
    +1. Browser has closed on me a couple of times & all that's needed is reopening the browser & clearing the cache. Problem solved.
    03-28-12 01:40 PM
    I've had the device for nearly two weeks and the browser hasn't crashed on me yet...

Also, when I first tried to setup the playbook, I got an error regarding not being able to connect to wifi (I forget the exact message). My 9900 and laptop were easily connecting to the wifi. I obviously couldn't use it until I got OS2, but before I took it back, I took it to university to see if it would connect there - it did. Once I got back home with my updated Playbook, it immediately connected to my wifi and there haven't been any problems since.

Hope you guys get your's working - it's an awesome device
    03-28-12 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD