Hey people.

Got my Playbook on OS 1.0.7.3312.

I opened BB Desktop Software (on Windows 7), plugged in my PB and tried to run a backup. I am just trying to backup Application Data and Settings since my media is triple backed.

I can backup Settings fine, but for some reason am unable to backup Application Data or both Settings/Application Data at the same time, nor a full. I keep getting this error

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Honestly i'm not sure if its the Playbook or if it's the Desktop Software that is giving me trouble

Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by jKickeR; 11-23-11 at 10:08 AM.
    11-23-11 10:02 AM
    I am having exactly the same issue. Not sure what caused it because I was able to fully back up before. Although, now that I think about it, it may not have been backing up properly before either (it just wasn't giving the error). My Playbook bricked in the summer, I had to reload the OS and restore from the back up, which appeared to work fine, except none of my application data was actually restored! Any saved progress in games like NFS, login credentials for Facebook etc...I had to basically re-set up everything.

Connecting to Desktop Manager has been sketchy at best (I still to this day cannot get it to connect to my office PC running XP).
    11-23-11 10:27 AM
    I think some have said it is possible a bad app causing the back up failures when doing a full back up. You can try doing a custom back up and back up all the folders minus the app folder
    11-23-11 10:56 AM
    I think some have said it is possible a bad app causing the back up failures when doing a full back up. You can try doing a custom back up and back up all the folders minus the app folder
    I have had this same problem recently as well and will give this a try. It was possible to simply do a full backup before, but I don't know when that changed.
    11-23-11 11:00 AM
    Have you tried turning wifi and bluetooth off on the playbook?
    11-23-11 11:23 AM
    Try changing the name of the backup file to make it shorter and remove parentheses and commas
    11-23-11 05:13 PM
    the custom backup only saves my Settings. I was hoping to save applications but no luck.
    Have you tried turning wifi and bluetooth off on the playbook?
    Yes i have. Still nothing.
    Try changing the name of the backup file to make it shorter and remove parentheses and commas
    Just tried this. nothing.
    11-23-11 05:47 PM
    i had the same problem as well before upgrading to os2.. application backup was absolutely not pssble... though i was able to do it earllier..... I had installed the android player earlier .... then deleted that wonder if it is tat?? have u guys got android player installed.
    11-26-11 01:39 PM
    Has anyone been able to figure out what the problem is? I'm trying to backup my data and setting; together I get the error, applications alone I get the error, backing up the settings work fine.
    12-30-11 03:54 PM
    Some suggest turning off bt and wifi.

No backup method worked for me after June. Not custom - I could never get to the step of selecting, nor full.

I finally gave up and did a Security Wipe and that has allowed me to backup using the Custom method. I do my own data, well, files including video, music, photos, etc manually, keeping a copy on my computer.
    12-30-11 05:19 PM
    With a security wipe would I loose all apps that I have downloaded? I'm not concerned about the free ones its more of the ones that I have paid
    12-30-11 05:56 PM
    Unfortunately, I had this issue on my PlayBook, and I can confirm this is correct. An app is causing the error. I had to do a security wipe.

You can still download all the apps you have before, as App World remembers your purchase history with your BBID.
    12-30-11 06:08 PM
    If you have the PC Recipe Box app installed, try deleting it and then backup. Found that on the BB forums and it worked for me.
    12-30-11 06:40 PM
    If you have the PC Recipe Box app installed, try deleting it and then backup. Found that on the BB forums and it worked for me.
    That did it, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12-30-11 07:10 PM
    Some suggest turning off bt and wifi.

No backup method worked for me after June. Not custom - I could never get to the step of selecting, nor full.

I finally gave up and did a Security Wipe and that has allowed me to backup using the Custom method. I do my own data, well, files including video, music, photos, etc manually, keeping a copy on my computer.

With F2 on this one.

He and I were having the problem with backing up around the same time. I don't know if you have side loaded any apps but I THINK sideloading certain apps hinders backing up Turning off connections didn't work for me.

A security wipe (albeit inadvertently ) enabled me to back up again
    12-31-11 08:18 AM
    I don't yet believe that it's side-loading itself which can cause the problem, but it's now proven beyond any doubt that individual apps can cause the problem, probably whether they are side-loaded or not. The President's Choice Recipe Box app is one that can cause the problem (though at least one person reports having it installed yet being able to back up, so it's not 100%).

There are almost certainly others. Now that we know for sure it's possible for one single app, merely installed but not even ever launched, to prevent the Application backup from working, it should be easier for those who still have this particular problem to start narrowing it down. Rather than doing a full security wipe, try removing apps a few at a time, and either way >10 minutes (then retry the backup) or do a restart and try the backup. Don't just attempt backup immediately after the uninstall -- that's not sufficient as some data is left on the flash drive for a while until some housekeeping processes are run.

Would be nice if those for whom Recipe Box is not the culprit could help narrow this down and identify at least one additional app which causes this problem. Then we could compare the two (we'd need the services of someone with a rooted PlayBook, since we can't examine the apps in a backup, naturally) and we'd have a good chance to identify the specific root cause behind all this. (RIM may already know, but of course we have no reason to think they'd tell us since the employees are allowed to say so little... darn lawyers.)
    12-31-11 12:52 PM
    Well, since I wanted to test something, I hooked the pb up using the usb plug. I just sideloaded 4 apps including LocalBar and sideloaded two more using LocalBar.

DM did allow me to use Custom and I selected Settings and Apps. But it failed. So something I sideloaded might have caused it (now I don't recall if I appworld loaded anything since the last backup). I am now going to try backing up Settings. That worked.

Now I'm trying just apps (expect it will fail). Well, just apps is proceeding, about 137megs of 3gigs. And still going.... (I'll report back)

Before my Security Wipe, I could not even do the Custom Backup - it would scan for content and fail in that stage.

edited to add - now up to 800megs....

now 1/3 at 1.x gigs...

died somewhere ... time to remove apps, I guess.

Just deleted what might be the last and am trying again. I'm not sure just deleting "cleans" up adequately once something is blown away.

Peter: Just pressing on them and deleting from the pb should be enough or do I use ddpb to remove?
    Last edited by F2; 12-31-11 at 05:01 PM.
    12-31-11 03:46 PM
    I haven't read all the responses on this thread, but I thought I'd share how I resolved the problem of not being able to do a full backup of my Playbook on my Windows pc.
    1. Performed individual/separate backups of "Application Data", and "Settings"
    2. Performed manual backups of certain application files (i.e. exporting of notes as text files, performing backups within the apps themselves if option is available, etc.)
    3. Copied all my media files and documents manually onto my pc, using Windows Explorer.
    4. Performed Security Wipe on the Playbook. Note: With the current 1.0.8.6067 OS version, performing a security wipe actually deletes the most recent update, thereby requiring update via wifi (77mb was my update file size). Be sure you have reliable wifi connection available, as I encountered having to restart and retry around 20 times because of the poor connection I had at the time.
    5. Set up my Playbook again (same as when I first got it).
    6. Re-installed all the apps from Appworld. Note: For those new to BB, don't worry, your purchased apps will be available for re-installation. You can find them on "Uninstalled" items on Appworld.
    7. Restored Application Data, and Settings using Desktop Manager
    8. Manually copied back all my media files and documents, again using Windows Explorer while Playbook was USB connected to PC (Desktop Manager).
    9. Performed Full Backup. This time, the full backup went without a hitch.
    Please note that with this method, there's a risk of losing some app data because some apps do not have provisions for cloud backup, and exporting info. Of course, game progress may also be lost.
    I admit this may be quite crude, and tedious. There may also be other ways of resolving the problem, but I thought I'd share what I did for everyone's benefit.
    Hope this helps in any way, shape or form for those having problems backing up their Playbook.

Happy New Year!
    12-31-11 05:20 PM
    aj.bb.fanatic:

I did a similar process. But as I have probably written, I was not able to do any type of backup within Desktop Manager (DM). So all settings were lost. So for me it was basically all of my 20gigs of data and media and doc files which I copied manually, like you, using Drag/Drop in win Explorer. Most of my data was already on the pc so it was only a few files here and there. The copying back was the tedious part - not all folders copied for whatever reason and so I had to manually check and copy files separately, especially photos, some music and larger video files.

I seem to have succeeded today after about 8 failures by clearing the cache of a 3rd party app. I will not name it since I'm not sure that was my issue. I will report back if I find out more. (there's another thread on the main pb forum also discussing backup failures)
    12-31-11 07:04 PM
    F2, just press-and-wait to make them pulsate, then hitting the trash can and deleting them (from the All folder, of course, not the other ones) is sufficient to remove them "completely", except that as noted there appears to be some stuff left which is removed by periodic housekeeping routines that may not run very often.

A restart after deleting appears to be a reliable way to make sure things are cleaned up.

Pausing "10-15 minutes" or whatever, as I've written, may not actually be sufficient... it's possibly a once-per-hour cycle for the housekeeping stuff. I did the experiment only once and while it worked after 10 minutes, I just realized one is a completely insufficient sample size in this case... quite possibly it was pure luck that I happened to delete the Recipe Box app less than 10 minutes before a once-per-hour housekeeping run.

So until we have that figure out more thoroughly, I'd consider a delete-then-restart a far more reliable way to test this than just delete-then-wait-a-bit.
    12-31-11 11:36 PM
    I wasn't able to backup my PlayBook for the longest time. Wiped it and reinstalled the OS and it backups up fine now. Whether or not it will restore properly...I don't know yet.
    12-31-11 11:48 PM
    I see. I guess I was pretty fortunate that the Desktop Manager only limited me from doing a full backup.
    Last edited by aj.bb.fanatic; 01-01-12 at 10:23 AM. Reason: type
    01-01-12 10:21 AM
    hi, just found this link, i have this problem, was able to back up fine, and my last one was in october. running the std most upto date software release, not sure what apps could be causing it.
    i have just managed to do a custom backup of settings only, and have used the usb connection to transfer media into specific folder. so something of a workaround, but weird nonetheless
    01-01-12 10:46 AM
    I am not sure what to say. I did a cleanup of one app's cache and have now been able to do two Custom Backups of AppSettings. I don't do a full since I manually try keeping my media and docs backed up manually.

So my suggestion would be to see what apps you have installed, see if they store data of some sort and clean up after them. I don't mean apps like Word-to-go or the pdf viewer. I mean apps that might download additional data for use. I am reluctant to name any particular program since I can't be sure if it is their error or an interaction with something else or a combination of stuff.
    01-01-12 12:14 PM
    F2 - can you be a little more specific on how you would go about cleaning up after the apps? From within the app? Using file browser? Don't mean to sound dense, but I'm despperate to find a solution to this vexing backup problem. I can backup both media & settings doing a custom backup, but can no longer backup AppData. So don't want to do a wipe... TIA!
    01-01-12 06:57 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD