View Poll Results: Are you content with OS 2.1?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Playbook was always great. OS 2.1 was just whipped cream on top.

63 30.29%
  • Yes, OS 2.1 adds what I needed, fixed what didn't work for me and I think it's overall great now.

64 30.77%
  • I'm happy for now, but BB10 better come out soon or I'm jumping ship.

55 26.44%
  • No, everything still crashes on me! WiFi, Email, Bridge, and Browser all (or some) don't work!

26 12.50%
    The browser needs improvement no doubt, but my point was, not all website failures are RIM's fault. And in a lot of cases, the website might say we are running an "Unsupported Browser", but that is nothing more than a warning. Like how when you participate in dangerous activities like Skydiving, they always make you sign a form saying "Warning! We are not responsible if you die." It doesn't mean you'll die, but if you do, it's not their fault.(lawsuits for negligence aside). So yeah, when a website says "Unsupported Browser", it simply means, we didn't code and bug check for the Playbook. But most times it'll probably work. Programmers code to ensure >90% of people can access the website. The Playbook having much less than 1% of market share of all internet content, is by no means a priority for coders. But like I said, it's probably going to work fine. Less than 5% of websites I've visited have failed on me.
    On the other hand, RIM has never blamed anyone else for their software shortfalls. They are in fact trying to improve it all with BB10. Yes, those of us who adopted early feel like we got the short end of the stick, but all we can do is just hope that past mistakes are not made.
    You speak as if you are a web programmer, am I right? It seems as if you're taking it a bit personally, which was not my intent.

However, my point has always been that there are more than a few web pages which struggle to load on the Playbook. And more which crash the browser. The is an underlying issue as well, which i think may be the similarities in the programming coding, in the News App, which cannot properly load the RSS feeds which are text only, or with a graphic or two (i'm not speaking of the RSS feeds which are just displaying the website). Even crackberry struggles to load on the playbook sometimes, please dont tell me that crackberry didnt bug check their website for Playbook's.

This was pointed out to me by a friend of mine who does programming that the best hardware available wont help if the software is slow and doesn't make complete use of the hardware features.
    11-12-12 11:01 AM
    You speak as if you are a web programmer, am I right? It seems as if you're taking it a bit personally, which was not my intent.

However, my point has always been that there are more than a few web pages which struggle to load on the Playbook. And more which crash the browser. The is an underlying issue as well, which i think may be the similarities in the programming coding, in the News App, which cannot properly load the RSS feeds which are text only, or with a graphic or two (i'm not speaking of the RSS feeds which are just displaying the website). Even crackberry struggles to load on the playbook sometimes, please dont tell me that crackberry didnt bug check their website for Playbook's.

This was pointed out to me by a friend of mine who does programming that the best hardware available wont help if the software is slow and doesn't make complete use of the hardware features.
    Nah, I'm not taking it personally.
    In terms of performance, I will agree with your friend that the best hardware won't help if the software to slow, and I will even go as far as to say that I know that the Playbook browser is definitely not optimized for the best performance. It certainly can be faster. (This issue is onus on RIM not the web programmers.)

In terms of functionality though, on the most part it does well, but the main reasons the major web browsers can display websites properly, but the Playbook cannot, is partially due to web programmers, specifically bug testing for problems. If you look at the source code of the Crackberry website, you will notice bits of code specifically inserted to ensure the website works for different versions of IE " <!--[if IE 7]>" or " <!--[if lt IE 8]>", but I don't see anything for the Playbook. Which could mean, that it was tested and no work arounds were required, or it just wasn't tested.
    (This issue is onus on web programmers, and RIM)
    Personally I haven't had any issues with the crackberry website.
    11-12-12 12:30 PM
    I despise the recent upgrades to the PBOS. The browser performance keeps getting worse, video don't stream as well as the used to and over all the performance is becoming more sluggish. I wish I could go back an earlier version of 2.0.
    11-14-12 01:00 AM
    I despise the recent upgrades to the PBOS. The browser performance keeps getting worse, video don't stream as well as the used to and over all the performance is becoming more sluggish. I wish I could go back an earlier version of 2.0.
    I find it odd. I keep seeing improvements with every update...weird how people can have 2 totally differing experiences.
    11-14-12 01:37 AM
    I find it odd. I keep seeing improvements with every update...weird how people can have 2 totally differing experiences.
    Yea same here. I've upgraded every new OS release and saw improvements that just made it work better. When I got my playbook it wasn't perfect, 2.0 was months away, but I gave it a shot. I found apps that worked for me and websites to fill the gaps. I multi-task like crazy. Best OS for multi-tasking. After 2.1 my battery drained a bit quicker at first but has settled again. Still great performance for a year old device. Just did a security wipe for the first time and saw a performance improvement on top of that. I'm happy.
    11-14-12 03:40 AM
    Hello folks. I had previously posted with a list of frustrations and was really contemplating on purchasing the Nexus 7 32GB model, but after a few hours with Jelly Bean, I can truly say that I am back on board and full support with.RIM and BB10. The playbook just feels soooo good in my hands and I've always been a big fan of the gestures incorporated into the OS. Android and IOS is not my cup of tea in comparison to the pb os and I am quite interested to see what bb10 will look like on the pb. Does anyone know how bb10 will look like on the playbook?

My faith in BB10 has been restored after watching the new demo videos of BB10 and read the article on the link below and I am quite excited with how RIM is prepparing to launch this new platform.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...rticle5343780/

Continuing with my playbook and enjoying true multitasking like how a tablet from the 21st century is suppose to feel like and waiting patiently for next update.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-17-12 03:48 AM
81 ... 234