View Poll Results: Are you content with OS 2.1?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Playbook was always great. OS 2.1 was just whipped cream on top.

63 30.29%
  • Yes, OS 2.1 adds what I needed, fixed what didn't work for me and I think it's overall great now.

64 30.77%
  • I'm happy for now, but BB10 better come out soon or I'm jumping ship.

55 26.44%
  • No, everything still crashes on me! WiFi, Email, Bridge, and Browser all (or some) don't work!

26 12.50%
    I'm happy with 2.1 overall. About the only thing I'd like improvements with until BB10 is to speed up sms over bridge. In my experience it is quite a bit slower than my bbm over bridge, probably mainly because bbm has been polished a little more. Other than that I love it, and haven't experienced any problems.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-13-12 09:16 AM
    Well this certainly doesn't make me happy with it.

OK second time this has happened to me and there has been the other issues I posted earlier. I wish I would've kept recording because after I closed the frozen browser all of the pb was locked up and would do nothing other than a 3 finger salute.
    Browser will be slow and glitchy until Adobe Air elements are excised. Sadly never happen.

More interested in your 4 attempts to push the trash mail button in mail app from 00:12 to 00:17. Unresponsiveness permeates the PB OS.
    10-13-12 12:39 PM
    Browser will be slow and glitchy until Adobe Air elements are excised. Sadly never happen.

More interested in your 4 attempts to push the trash mail button in mail app from 00:12 to 00:17. Unresponsiveness permeates the PB OS.
    Air can take down the whole system huh. The delete in email has happened before but this time I think I was missing while try to hold my phone to record and looking thru it lol.

Edit: I thought in BB10 it won't be using air?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 10-13-12 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Air browser
    10-13-12 12:57 PM
    2.1 has done nothing for me. No improvement in my user experience. In fairness I find myself using my Playbook less and less.
    10-13-12 01:08 PM
    I think the update sucks! I use my PB 99% of the time in my home gym to play Monopoly for a distraction. It is so slow it is boring, I will most likely have to play a 2 player game in order to be able to take turns in a timely matter, I regret installing this update without waiting for the general consensus.
    10-15-12 03:13 PM
    PS, I rated it no for everything crashes, only cause I could not give it a positive rating.
    10-15-12 03:14 PM
    I would love to partake but I'm an LTE user and we're still waiting on some carrier love for 2.1
    Hypothetically speaking, I love the SMS ability and the ability to video chat over LTE to name a couple. (Whipped Cream option as it were)
    10-15-12 04:46 PM
    I think rim did a good job with design, function, and software of the playbook. I think people bashed it so much because they compared it to the ipad to much. But I like mine and it works and meets my needs so I'm happy with it.
    10-15-12 06:36 PM
    I waited for what seemed to be forever for 2.1... as it was impossible to create a camera app with live view before, only 2.1 with its native and Android camera APIs enables apps like this 3D camera:
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...41470/?lang=en
    This is the most valuable feature of 2.1 for me.
    10-17-12 03:02 PM
    It is beginning to look like the beta of what should have been ready at launch two years ago.

There are still alpha bugs though. Like when you delete all icons from the start screen.
    10-18-12 05:22 PM
    I haven't seen any real improvement but I guess it's OK except for the freezing kbz1960 has.
    10-18-12 05:46 PM
    I've been running 2.1 beta for months on my Playbook and overall it was really good. I do not see much difference (perhaps except for sms) so i am happy. Playbook is great since 2.0 came out. 2.1 is just added bonus.
    10-18-12 06:01 PM
    I haven't seen any real improvement but I guess it's OK except for the freezing kbz1960 has.
    Knocking on wood, I did another wipe and so far I haven't froze again, still some odd kb things at times, some slow Page loads and some checkerboards, seems more of that than the beta for me.
    10-18-12 06:35 PM
    will now stream hd on bbci player perfectly.
    10-18-12 06:56 PM
    Happier only irony is that my browser crashes way frequently when browsing CB forum. What give!

I love the new SMS bridge and ability to go upright with email. Never use Android and probably never will. So no comment on side loading matter.

Cheers
    10-18-12 06:58 PM
    No problems with mine or the others in my family.

I was running the beta beforehand on mine.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    10-18-12 08:00 PM
    No problems with mine or the others in my family.

I was running the beta beforehand on mine.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    10-18-12 08:22 PM
    No real noticeable improvement in OS or features for me yet.
    I have however noticed a definite battery drain problem for some reason.
    I have wiped and re-installed, but it still cannot remain in standby overnight, with WiFi and email running. It will drain the battery by morning.
    I used to be able to keep it on in this fashion for a couple of days.
    Turning off WiFi and or email does help, but I never had to do this before and the idea of keeping it on is to have email current rather than having to wait for the Sync....
    Not very impressed with 2.1 at all , in fact quite frustrated with RIM and PB as a result.
    10-19-12 11:50 AM
    Can you blame them for giving up on PlayBook OS? BB10 is due to drop for the PlayBook next spring after BB10 handset launch, and according to @BlackBerryDev on Twitter, "BB10 builds for Playbook will be available in developer beta ahead of launch." https://twitter.com/BlackBerryDev/st...90288896561153

I have been wishing that they'd just ignore PlayBook OS and concentrate on BB10.
    I am so looking forward to BB10, but not at the expense of the PB, BB10 is only going to make it better. And I don't think Rim has given up on the PB or you wouldn't have seen the last update or there word to update after BB10 release.
    10-19-12 12:28 PM
    I think the update sucks! I use my PB 99% of the time in my home gym to play Monopoly for a distraction. It is so slow it is boring, I will most likely have to play a 2 player game in order to be able to take turns in a timely matter, I regret installing this update without waiting for the general consensus.
    Actually it is all better now, I followed this advice, simply cleared all browser cache. Thanks to: theprocess

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...4/#post7681538
    Just Me and eddy_berry like this.
    10-19-12 01:48 PM
    No real noticeable improvement in OS or features for me yet.
    I have however noticed a definite battery drain problem for some reason.
    I have wiped and re-installed, but it still cannot remain in standby overnight, with WiFi and email running. It will drain the battery by morning.
    I used to be able to keep it on in this fashion for a couple of days.
    Turning off WiFi and or email does help, but I never had to do this before and the idea of keeping it on is to have email current rather than having to wait for the Sync....
    Not very impressed with 2.1 at all , in fact quite frustrated with RIM and PB as a result.
    Email will sync whether or not the email app is open. (assuming you don't have sync set to manual)
    Do you have any other apps running? Some games or apps will continue running and doing stuff even if your playbook is in standby(as of OS 2.0, not sure about OS 2.1).
    Check to see if you are in showcase mode or not (Check in the General Options tab)

Do you have your playbook on Wifi and bridged(via bluetooth) at the same time?

I haven't checked my drain rates recently since I'm a light user and use it mostly for email and the browser, and each night I just plop it into the charging dock. But from what I recall ballpark drain rates I've seen for my playbook with the WiFi Off is 6% per day, and 1%/ hour with Wifi On.This might vary for you, but if you see anything that is significantly larger for you, then you'll probably want to figure out the problem.

If you feel that the playbook just has a shorter battery life then before(and you have been using your playbook for several months now), try to recalibrate the battery by charging it up to 100%, running it till it turns off by itself. And then charging it up to 100% again.
    Last edited by andrew4life; 10-19-12 at 06:46 PM.
    Zeds likes this.
    10-19-12 06:31 PM
    I take that back, it still sucks for speed, and I notice the battery drains down on standby over night as well. Now I need to downgrade some how? Any place we can go as a group to Rim and tell them they need to fix this ASAP?
    10-20-12 08:40 AM
    For browser issues join the beta zone and give them some logs.

Hello,

A new post has been added to the "BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 Update Now Available" message thread.

Hi folks!

I have a team ready to investigate any problems we're seeing with a sluggish UI or with a slow or crashing Browser.

If you're having problems with the device being slow to respond, or with the browser sometimes lagging or outright crashing, we can take a look. For now, we're going to stick to these types of issues, and we can go from there.

Let's follow this process immediately after the issue occurs:

1) Open the Help app
    2) Swipe down from the top bezel
    3) Tap Support
    4) Tap Log Submission
    5) Enter any email address (doesn't have to be real)
    6) Enter "12345678" at the end of INC0000 in the Incident # field
    7) Tap Create (if prompted, tap Send)
    8) Connect your device to the computer and find the *.pb log file stored on the PlayBook in the folder /documents/logs
    9) Send the .pb file to me directly, along with as many details as possible (you can never have too many details), at [email protected]. Be sure to include what actions/steps you took to cause the problem, what website/app you were using, what PlayBook OS build you're running, etc.

(If you used your own email address, you may receive a failure email - ignore this.)

Note that the content of your log files and your submission email are protected by the Terms and Conditions of BlackBerry Beta Zone and will be kept private. I may not be able to respond with details of what we found, if anything, but do know that I'll send every log file to the development team for their review. We really want to make sure your experience with the UI and Browser is rock solid.

Thanks!

John
    rdonnelly likes this.
    10-20-12 09:47 AM
    Going forward I would prefer the next major update to be 2.2 then 2.3 then 2.4 rather than BB10.

Why?

At this stage of the game I'd rather RIM gets what we have right now right and working properly rather than give US BB10 that, whilst it may look lovely, basically will take us back 18 months in terms of new bugs and issues. How many more updates do you think our old Playbooks will get once BB10 has been rolled out and the new Plabook is revealed? Not many I bet.

18 months on is too long with this kind of tech. The Playbook is starting to get a little long in the tooth already, I would rather we make the best of what we have than go back to square one.
    10-20-12 12:42 PM
    I'm not super happy with 2.1. It is feels buggier than older verions while the upgrades brought me little value. I wish my apps would crash less frequently and that my browser is buffered better.
    10-20-12 02:00 PM
81 1234