Many times we are bashing RIM for their poor performance (software, hardware and biz decisions), but in this instance I want them to know regarding 2.0.0.6149 that although far from complete, you can now start to see it WILL become a very solid platform for the tablets and smart phones.

Thank you RIM and thank you for the A2DP functionality that many of us have been waiting for!

-Jeff G
    baddad61 and mithrazor like this.
    12-17-11 12:08 PM
    Sorry, but today you just don't start selling hardware without software. RIM should have provided an OS with full functionality and a basic set of apps back in April, and should not be praised for maybe doing so 10 months later (assumes the Feb. date even holds). In today's market, that's an almost sure recipe for failure. The PB OS has always shown promise, and I hope RIM gets another chance, but I am not optimistic.
    12-17-11 04:57 PM
    RIM will probably stop PB production before anything happens
    12-17-11 05:05 PM
    im enjoying my pb today for what it is in its current state, i hope the final release of os2 is amazing because the pb hardware is awesome, if not im sure within 6 months technology will show me.something new to enjoy. Unleash the power of the playbook please.
    12-17-11 05:58 PM
    Many times we are bashing RIM for their poor performance (software, hardware and biz decisions), but in this instance I want them to know regarding 2.0.0.6149 that although far from complete, you can now start to see it WILL become a very solid platform for the tablets and smart phones.

Thank you RIM and thank you for the A2DP functionality that many of us have been waiting for!

-Jeff G
    agree, I'm also very happy with the .6149, it's faster everywhere, even in 3rd party apps..
    12-17-11 08:51 PM
    Much happy if its Officialy
    12-17-11 11:08 PM
    Sorry, but today you just don't start selling hardware without software. RIM should have provided an OS with full functionality and a basic set of apps back in April, and should not be praised for maybe doing so 10 months later (assumes the Feb. date even holds). In today's market, that's an almost sure recipe for failure. The PB OS has always shown promise, and I hope RIM gets another chance, but I am not optimistic.
    ....do you really expect this post to be taken seriously? Was the iPad or iPhone released with anywhere near finished software? Even the current iPhone's most famous feature (Siri) was released in a semi-functional beta form. Microsoft's version of voice control does most of the same stuff and works better but is not cute. As far as Android goes, it is unfinished and under-equipped but is (conditionally) free so it is on lots of devices in numerous forms. BTW, Motorola released the XOOM with a dead SD slot pending a "future upgrade" of the OS....

Stephen
    Foppa_21 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:02 AM
    It doesnt matter what RIM does. The world hates Blackberry and Playbook. If RIM has delayed PB until its OS and app ecosystem is more enriched, haters would have jumped in to join in the media mantra to criticize why RIM is taking ages to release its PB..RIM will always be at the losing end. 2011 has been a terrible year for RIM with all sorts of issues and criticisms...can it get any worse? hopefully RIM has learned its lessons and make 2012 a smiling year for die-hard Blackberry fans like me..i think RIM makes good products, its products are always well designed and constructed..i have owned more than 20 blackberries and i never have a single issue. RIM just need more big item apps like skype, netflix, angry bird to bring on more traction and adoption.
    12-19-11 01:30 AM
    ....do you really expect this post to be taken seriously? Was the iPad or iPhone released with anywhere near finished software? Even the current iPhone's most famous feature (Siri) was released in a semi-functional beta form. Microsoft's version of voice control does most of the same stuff and works better but is not cute. As far as Android goes, it is unfinished and under-equipped but is (conditionally) free so it is on lots of devices in numerous forms. BTW, Motorola released the XOOM with a dead SD slot pending a "future upgrade" of the OS....

Stephen
    Well in regards to A2DP specifically, I agree that it should have been there from day 1. A2DP has been a standard feature in bluetooth enabled devices for years and years now. I think a few of my old Windows Mobile 5 phones had A2DP, but RIM didn't add this standard feature (and many other standard features) because they were rushing their product to market. The issue is not about software theoretically being "complete" (is there such a thing in the ever-changing world of technology?), it's about having basic functionality. That is what Unsure2's post was about.

Siri being a beta is not nearly comparable situation because it's not quite a standard feature like A2DP is. If the iPhone 4S didn't come with Siri, no one would have any complaints about it.

Sure the Xoom came without a working MicroSD slot, but at least it had 32GB of storage, or some other amount of onboard storage to ease the pain of no expandable storage. They could have just released it without expandable storage and people would just accept it, like they're doing with the PlayBook.

The fact is, RIM is just now catching up to step 1 with the PlayBook, and it remains to be seen what they can add to it that will make it stand out from the competition in terms of functionality. In the tablet market, where there are so many choices and price ranges, playing catch-up generally means you've already lost, at least in the consumer market.

It doesnt matter what RIM does. The world hates Blackberry and Playbook. If RIM has delayed PB until its OS and app ecosystem is more enriched, haters would have jumped in to join in the media mantra to criticize why RIM is taking ages to release its PB..RIM will always be at the losing end. 2011 has been a terrible year for RIM with all sorts of issues and criticisms...can it get any worse? hopefully RIM has learned its lessons and make 2012 a smiling year for die-hard Blackberry fans like me..i think RIM makes good products, its products are always well designed and constructed..i have owned more than 20 blackberries and i never have a single issue. RIM just need more big item apps like skype, netflix, angry bird to bring on more traction and adoption.
    I agree with your point about RIM being damned if they do and damned if they don't, but I think the real beef people have was them promising certain dates for OS2, then failing to meet those dates. +1 on the major apps point. A lot of people always say the PlayBook doesn't have enough apps; It certainly has enough apps, but it doesn't have enough major brand name apps.
    Last edited by TWO515TY; 12-19-11 at 04:11 AM.
    12-19-11 04:09 AM

-Jeff G
    Agreed. This latest beta is very very good.
    12-19-11 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD