I've been pondering recently what RIM's plans are for the android player going forward. We know it will be in BB10, but I'm thinking longer term than that...say 2 years+ from BB10 launch. Currently, android player is an impressive feat, but it's very much an imperfect solution. It consumes memory, slows boot up time (maybe not that significant a problem), and undoubtedly, detracts from native app development, although obviously we don't know the extent of this, and the apps just aren't as good as native apps.

So my question is, say BB10 is a success and it draws in developers, would/should RIM abandon the android player? And if so, when?
    03-29-12 05:06 PM
    Hopefully it dies faster then it took to get it. It was a mistake out of desperation and serves no purpose.
    03-29-12 05:11 PM
    Well, unfortunately the analysts all want more APPS. I'm actually happy with the android player because I can sideload stuff that hasn't been (and will likely never be) ported to the BlackBerry platform (stuff from other countries, for instance). I think they need to fix up the stability and make it work better.
    03-29-12 11:36 PM
    LOL Android player is the one that can save RIMM. If its fully compatible, they need to get amazon store onboard without the necessity of converting android apps. They should make money through device sales and leave apps management to amazon. Also since Amazon is not in smartphones and more in ereaders, they should license bbm to kindles. Period!
    03-29-12 11:45 PM
    Hopefully it dies faster then it took to get it. It was a mistake out of desperation and serves no purpose.
    This^

The android player is a win for android developers and a loss for playbook owners who want quality native apps.
    BerryClever likes this.
    03-30-12 12:22 AM
    Imho the Android player is a genetic aberration. RIM need to foster their own apps or shift entirely to Android.

Shifting entirely to Android is my preference, since I don't see sane development dynamics for the moment at RIM's.
    03-30-12 01:48 AM
    They can only improve it now, there is no way to dump it without causing a massive developer outcry, it would be a PR disaster.
    03-30-12 04:29 AM
    They can only improve it now, there is no way to dump it without causing a massive developer outcry, it would be a PR disaster.
    Yes. RIM seem to have painted themselves into a corner over Android Player.

Android Player is what happens when you let clever softies do something just coz it's clever.

I seriously doubt it was ever intended to get loose in the wild, it was just something they did for the giggles and kudos amongst their peers. But, once it had escaped, public pressure meant they had to release it officially and support it - which is unfortunate given the double whammy of it being both a memory hog and prone to freezing/locking-up.

I don't mind it being there, I just wish you could turn it off and free up the memory it uses.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-30-12 06:29 AM
    Since I don't use the Android player, it would be nice if this was an optional install in future OS updates. In other words, if you don't need it, don't install.
    03-30-12 08:30 AM
    Hopefully it was a stopgap measure that will be rendered moot with BB10.
    03-30-12 09:44 AM
    Hopefully it was a stopgap measure that will be rendered moot with BB10.
    Not sure stuffing the Android genie back into the bottle will be quite so easy.

RIM have released the Android Player, and appealed to Android devs to make their Apps available on AppWorld. To take it away again in BB10 would cause a backlash (nobody likes to feel that they've lost something), would alienate devs, and probably make RIM look foolish too (reversing previous strategy on the hoof).

Nope, for better or worse, Android Player is here to stay I reckon.

Though, giving it an "off" switch would probably be a smart move. It'd be there if you wanted it, and gone if you didn't... and nobody would feel they'd been robbed of something they had.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-30-12 at 11:07 AM.
    03-30-12 11:01 AM
    I don't know what apps you guys are loading but the android player works great for me. I suspect people are loading all kinds of random untested apps and then complaining. Sure it won't run every single app, no android device does either but the important thing is there are a huge number of apps that do run quite smoothly. I appreciate having that android player there and I still think its great because my PlayBook completely replaced multiple devices for me.
    tinker2000 and gailsher like this.
    03-30-12 12:26 PM
    RIM dont seem to be able to win, theyre damned if they do and damned if they dont. The android player isnt perfect but it works and the appworld is full of android apps as well as native PB apps. Some are good, some utter crap, but isnt that the same in Android store or apple store too?

Thanks RIM for giving us the options! Thanks Android devs for being arsed to convert your apps for the ungrateful blackberry snobs who believe that the PB should still have very few apps (Not all of you)!
    03-30-12 12:54 PM
    It may be true that the hardware on the Playbook is just not capable to run it's own OS plus a virtual android os.
    03-30-12 01:47 PM
    Rim pigeonholed themselves again just like when they dropped the prices of the PB below cost.
    If you don't like the android player don't use it and wait for Rim to delivery all your goodies when your in that rocking chair at the old folks home.
    Last edited by balding1; 03-30-12 at 02:19 PM.
    03-30-12 02:04 PM
    Though, giving it an "off" switch would probably be a smart move. It'd be there if you wanted it, and gone if you didn't... and nobody would feel they'd been robbed of something they had.
    I can agree with this.

Open source might cool for devs, not so much for end users.
    03-30-12 05:46 PM
    To some it might be this way, but without it I would of tossed the PB in the trash 4 months ago.

The apps I have been waiting on are Droid and I do not see anyone taking the time
    to make them native.

The move to BB10 will also need this as there will be little or no real good apps for BB10.
    He11, we don't have them for the PB, native wise yet and it's been out almost a year now.

Tim
    03-30-12 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD