Hi all,

Sorry if this is very much a newbie question, but I have searched the web and found a few discussions, but not really happy with them!

I have a 16GB playbook, and it was getting pretty full..... so I deleted loads of videos that I had on it for the kids, and loads of apps that were also pretty pointless....... but I still only have 8GB free out of the original 16GB...... can this be right?

Am I missing a simple trick in order to clear it up?

Regards,
    10-31-12 08:09 AM
    I to would like to know....

I uninstalled most of the apps that I had on my PlayBook (most where very small), and all of the Games (most were very large). Moved all my pictures, videos and books to my laptop. Cleared my browser cache and even deleted all of my email accounts. But my Playbook is still utilizing 7.5GB for something.

I've tried searching thru the filing system, but nothing is showing up with that much data.

Think a wipe and fresh install is in order...
    10-31-12 09:02 AM
    Yeah I know what you mean. I downloaded 'File Explorer' to see if it would give me a more granular insight into what is on the tablet...... but sadly I cant find a way to search by 'File Size'........ anyone know a way..... perhaps that would help?
    10-31-12 09:19 AM
    if you have removed all data from your device try a debrick load of the OS from Desktop manager. This will wipe everything out and do a clean install of the latest OS. Should be higher free, id say 10-12GB free easily with nothing on it. Keep in mind the native apps do take quite a bit of space. OS + apps is usually well over 1GB to start with. Plus the amount of space you lose to formatting the drive etc.
    10-31-12 11:12 AM
    did u restart your device.
    10-31-12 11:33 AM
    Try to search for file in the "Misc" folder
    10-31-12 11:47 AM
    Perhaps EDI flooded your drive with seven zettabytes of explicit images.
    10-31-12 12:07 PM
    When you delete files and apps, you have to restart the PB for it to take effect
    10-31-12 01:16 PM
    if you have removed all data from your device try a debrick load of the OS from Desktop manager. This will wipe everything out and do a clean install of the latest OS. Should be higher free, id say 10-12GB free easily with nothing on it. Keep in mind the native apps do take quite a bit of space. OS + apps is usually well over 1GB to start with. Plus the amount of space you lose to formatting the drive etc.
    Thanks for this, only thing is I am bit worried about doing a debrick load (and I must admit I am unsure of how to do this), because this will mean progress in games (not the biggest thing in the world I must admit) and probable loss of bought applications?
    11-02-12 04:55 AM
    NB - also I looked in Misc and unless it is telling fibs, then nothing in there is any size at all....
    11-02-12 04:56 AM
    Both a wipe and a debrick will delete apps and data (save games included). You can backup prior, though. All paid apps will be waiting for download at My World.

Also, keep in mind that the actual storage space on a 16gb unit is not 16gb. It is around 14gb. and then you need to factor in the OS. That's your real free space value.
    11-02-12 08:06 AM
    For me, if I were to delete an app by holding down the icon on the home screen and deleting it, it will only remove the icon and not actually uninstall the app. I can go into AppWorld and it says that it is still installed. I have to uninstall it through AppWorld. You may want to look through AppWorld's install list to make sure you removed those apps (unless that is what people are referring to by saying you must restart your system. Maybe a restart finishes the deletion if you remove it from the home screen rather than through AppWorld?).

I too sadly only have a 16GB (wish I got 32 or 64!) and want to say I have about 11 or 12 GB free if I have nothing on my PB (after I wipe it). So the OS and native apps take up about 5 or 6GB.
    11-02-12 12:42 PM
    why don't you just do a security wipe ,it will free your space. it works on mine.
    11-05-12 10:05 PM
    I remember some torrents files I tried to download (in the android player) had allocated a huge amount of space for themselves but when I stopped them and deleted them they would not actually release the memory space they allocated. I had to do a security wipe to get it all back.
    11-09-12 02:27 PM
    From what I remember files don't completely delete until the device is restarted. Like computers you don't get the full space. A 320gb hdd has 290ish gb. I have a 64gb playbook. So ~59gb is available. Out of that a few gigabyte is used for the OS so I only get to use ~54gb of space.
    11-09-12 08:34 PM