Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Email no longer working through Bridge

Hey all, I've got a little problem I was hoping the community could help me with.

Recently I've noticed that while bridged and not connected to Wi-Fi, I get this error within the email application on PB OS 2.1.0.1314:

"The server imap.gmail.com for account (Gmail - xxxxxxx@gmail.com) is not responding. The server name in your account settings might be incorrect, or the server might be temporarily offline. Check your settings to make sure the server name is correct and try again."

I've always been able to send, receive, and get pushed email to my PlayBook while out-and-about and bridged (no Wi-Fi). Recently that seems to be broken however, and no new email can go in or out until I connect to Wi-Fi (mobile hotspot or otherwise - then the error message goes away and everything is hunky-dory). My calendar also does not sync under these conditions, and I haven't checked, but I imagine that my contacts don't sync either. I can open the browser and connect to any webpage like normal, so I know Bridge is generally in working order.

Questions:
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    If so. has this been precipitated by a change within the PB OS or a change within Google's servers?
    Is there a workaround or am I hooped?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Last edited by Kevstra; 01-16-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling. Derp.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Maybe the issue is GMail not the BlackBerry PlayBook or the BlackBerry Bridge functionality. I just accessed my BES email via BlackBerry Bridge without the slightest issue. Goggle announced changes affecting BlackBerry users; maybe this is related?
    Thanked by:
    Kevstra (01-16-2013) 

I have seen a similar message when a bridged cellular connection to a regular mail server times out due to slow cellular connections. However I notice you mention Google so implied gmail which is now only forwarded to BIS on a 6-hourly cycle instead of the almost instant delivery we were accustomed to. My guess is that the Google servers might be denying or delaying access when requested via the RIM NOC.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    Thanked by:
    Kevstra (01-16-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for the responses guys.

Perhaps I'll try to add my work email to the PlayBook and see if that's working properly over Bridge.

Branta, your comment about email forwarded to BIS on a 6-hour cycle - if this is the case, how come I still get mail normally on my Bold 9900 and PlayBook (when on wi-fi)?

I have no idea, but last week I found clear evidence that my gmail was only updated every 6 hours (exactly). For me it is only an external backup in case my mail server goes offline, so I didn't see a pressing need to investigate.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    I have seen a similar message when a bridged cellular connection to a regular mail server times out due to slow cellular connections. However I notice you mention Google so implied gmail which is now only forwarded to BIS on a 6-hourly cycle instead of the almost instant delivery we were accustomed to. My guess is that the Google servers might be denying or delaying access when requested via the RIM NOC.
    BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is not running on a 6-hour cycle for email delivery. Normally, 15 minutes is the expected wait-time due to the algorithm used for BIS email delivery to the smartphone. On an IMAP mailbox the delivery time even on BIS should be approximately 5 minutes after it reaches the IMAP mailbox. Only BES provides near instantaneous email delivery to the smartphone. When I say email delivery I am really speaking about the email notification for pending messages. I have both BIS and BES account mailboxes so the figures I provide represent my own experience which coincides with those of other BlackBerry users.

In light of the recent announcement from Google I would not discount the possibility that Google is mucking about with Gmail service for BlackBerry users.
    CrackBerry Addict

I noticed the other day with my AOL email when bridged and not on Wi-Fi that I can not send email. I can read my mail however. I actually had to do a wipe the other day for another reason and it still will not let me send a non Wi-Fi email.
    Sent using my PlayBook or my 9930.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by bdguru View Post
    I noticed the other day with my AOL email when bridged and not on Wi-Fi that I can not send email. I can read my mail however. I actually had to do a wipe the other day for another reason and it still will not let me send a non Wi-Fi email.
    Hmmmm... that is interesting. I wonder if it's something with RIM/Bridge.
    Last edited by Kevstra; 01-17-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am sure that it is a issue with Google. I have my Outlook.com and my work Exchange Server and they both perfectly. Googlemail used to work well but not anymore - I am recently unable to receive email.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone have solution to this. It is pretty clear that Gmail does not sync when bridged and it is annoying to periodically switch on Personal hotspot on my Z30 everytime I wish to sync mail on my Playbook.
    CrackBerry User

Maybe double check that you really aren't receiving your e-mail. My thought is that the message is simply that your playbook can't access imap over the bridge. That's why it disappears when on wifi. But if you have your accounts on your z30 it should push the email over via Bridge... yes? No? I thought that was how it worked. Another option would be to forward your mail to a pop3 server

Z10 on 10.2.1.1925
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Exactly how I though it would work also. I map is hardly dark arts is it?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

I created an activesync account with my Gmail address and password and so far at least everything's syncing and the server message is gone. The server address is m.google.com and domain is "google ". Don't know to much about the advantages and disadvantages of the different accounts but......it is working over bridge

Z10 on 10.2.1.1925
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi folks,
    I can confirm that I have three IMAP accounts on my Playbook and none of them will sync while connected to the Internet on a bridged Q10 over the cellular data connection. I can however brows without issues.
    I also have a work email account which uses Activesync and this works faultlessly. So, the answer, would appear to be, no IMAP over the bridge via cellular data! But why would this happen and how can it happen? I also cannot collect IMAP mail wile connected, over the Blackberry Bridge, to my Q10 while the Q10 is connected to Wi-Fi which means it's Blackberry bridge that is limiting this data transfer and not the mail servers or Cellular networks surely?

Everything works as expected while the Playbook is connected to WiFi.

Pretty sad really, one more nail in the coffin so to speak