Manager recognizes the playbook but cant access to files ( including media of course)
    Playbook works fine, pc works fne.
    Made a factory reset on playbook , uninstall and reinstall desktop manager, but nothing.
    The strange thing its I used to connect the playbook via desktop manager without any troubles.
    By the way, playbook doesnt charge battery when I plug it on the pc, as regularly do.
    Dont known where is the problem.
    Im on windows 8.1, havent done major changes on it, blackberry desktop manager always worked fine.
    Any clue?

Thanks in advance
    forrestishmael likes this.
    05-25-17 09:13 PM
    It sounds like either your PlayBook's USB connector is broken or the cable you're using is broken. Hopefully it's just the cable. The reason is that both data transfer and charging are suddenly not working and there's been no major software changes.
    05-26-17 12:25 AM
    Thanks but isnt the cable, have tried other cable and nothing happens.
    05-28-17 07:56 PM
    Uh oh. The USB port may be at fault. Perhaps try cleaning it? Use an air spray or if you must use a liquid, then the highest percentage isopropyl alcohol you can find, 80-90%.
    05-29-17 04:12 AM
    Thanks but isnt the cable, have tried other cable and nothing happens.
    Could an anti virus service on the laptop be blocking comms? Have you enabled access in PB settings?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 12:07 PM
    Could an anti virus service on the laptop be blocking comms? Have you enabled access in PB settings?
    Interesting point. Would this also prevent charging via the PC?

OP: Can you charge the PlayBook with its USB charger? If you can, then the USB port is probably fine. If you can't, then it's the USB port that's either dirty or damaged.
    05-30-17 12:17 PM
    I found a solution !!!!!!
    After hard investigation I found the problem was related to Windows ! Not the Playbook, not the usb port or wire, not BB Desktop Manager !!!!!!
    Windows 8.1, my laptop's system, got some update which changes SMB protocol, dunno exactly what the hell is, ( something related to how Windows will communicate with other devices and receiv file transfers).
    The point its : you have to enable smb 2 in your Win System to make BBM Desktop Manager working again.
    After some search I found this solution, ( this work for Windows 8.1, check for other win versions)

In my own scenario , I doesnt have that entry, so I create it and enable by putting 1 in Dword.
    Then after rebooting, win asks me for a pretty small updated of BB Desktop Manager, not idea what was that few mb update , but after the mandatory reboot everything just started working as usual withing Playbook , Desktop Manager and Windows !!!!

"To disable or enable the use of Server Message Block (SMB) 2.0 protocol on a Windows client, perform the following:

Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
    Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters.
    From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value.
    Enter a name of Smb2 and press Enter.
    Double-click the new value and set to 0 to disable SMB 2. Set to 1 to enable.
    Reboot the machine. "

Long live Playbook software, after all this year still works flawless! Yes, its outdated as hell but this time the problem was on Windows and nothing related to BB.
    Last edited by mochuelo; 09-19-17 at 06:50 PM. Reason: grammar
    09-19-17 06:46 PM
    I have the same problem when I try to connect a PlayBook to a Windows 10 laptop. In your opinion, should I try the same solution? I had managed to connect it to a Windows 7 PC and I was able to move files from PC to tablet
    11-04-17 05:15 PM
    I just connect my PlayBook via USB to my Windows 10 PCs and use Windows File Manager to move files as needed. No need for desktop manager.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-04-17 05:25 PM
    You could also use Wi-Fi to transfer files, but I think with desktop manager is faster.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-17 11:09 AM
    I found a solution !!!!!!
    After hard investigation I found the problem was related to Windows ! Not the Playbook, not the usb port or wire, not BB Desktop Manager !!!!!!
    Windows 8.1, my laptop's system, got some update which changes SMB protocol, dunno exactly what the hell is, ( something related to how Windows will communicate with other devices and receiv file transfers).
    The point its : you have to enable smb 2 in your Win System to make BBM Desktop Manager working again.
    After some search I found this solution, ( this work for Windows 8.1, check for other win versions)

In my own scenario , I doesnt have that entry, so I create it and enable by putting 1 in Dword.
    Then after rebooting, win asks me for a pretty small updated of BB Desktop Manager, not idea what was that few mb update , but after the mandatory reboot everything just started working as usual withing Playbook , Desktop Manager and Windows !!!!

"To disable or enable the use of Server Message Block (SMB) 2.0 protocol on a Windows client, perform the following:

Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
    Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters.
    From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value.
    Enter a name of Smb2 and press Enter.
    Double-click the new value and set to 0 to disable SMB 2. Set to 1 to enable.
    Reboot the machine. "

Long live Playbook software, after all this year still works flawless! Yes, its outdated as hell but this time the problem was on Windows and nothing related to BB.
    I had the same issue, but while the cause of the issue by new Smb security protocols is correct, the above solution did not work for me. It is also not recommended to disable Smb2 protocol.

Here's what I did:

Click Start and type Turn Windows Features Or or Off
    -this will open a small window listing tons of features that you can control manually
    Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and check the box
    -this enables Smb1 support
    Restart PC
    Reconnect Playbook.
    The Playbook can now be detected as storage AND it now charges via the USB port.

This assumes of course that BB Desktop manager is installed on your PC.
    major.123 and daakee like this.
    02-25-18 05:27 PM
    I had the same issue, but while the cause of the issue by new Smb security protocols is correct, the above solution did not work for me. It is also not recommended to disable Smb2 protocol.

Here's what I did:

-this will open a small window listing tons of features that you can control manually
    Restart PC
    Reconnect Playbook.
    The Playbook can now be detected as storage AND it now charges via the USB port.

Works for me. Running BB Desktop Manager and Windows 10.
    03-16-18 12:13 PM

Here's what I did:

Restart PC
    Reconnect Playbook.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    I registered just to say thank you and let everyone know that this solution worked for me!
    (I also had to map a new network drive to the playbook but it worked! :'D)
    07-03-18 01:11 AM