Hi guys, my playbook web browser has been crashing regularly, 4-15 times a day, and it has been EXTREMELY frustrating. I tried using a different web browser, simplebrowser, but the problem persists, and its only the web browsers. 16gb playbook, latest OS 1.08. Watching a movie. crash. browsing crackberry. crash. checking my email. crash. What makes it worse is how amazing the browsing experience is when it, you know, works. I'm no troll, but my aproaching 3 years old 2nd gen ipod touch can run a simple web browser better than this tablet, and that kind of hurts. Then again, I did pay 100 more for the ipod......
    12-29-11 09:34 AM
    Can you describe the "crash"?

Try clearing your browser cache.
    12-29-11 09:45 AM
    It's the web engime itself. Not much we can do about it. The best thing you can do is a "hard" reset by holding down both volume buttons and the power button at the same time. This will free up as much memory as possible and give you a better experience.
    12-29-11 09:45 AM
    Crash, as in just killing itself. Randomly. Sometimes it freezes up a little before the crash, but most of the times, im typing something, and it just closes up. Whenever I check memory theres greater than 200 mb available, and this is kind of getting in the way of the amazing web experience on the playbook.
    12-29-11 10:50 AM
    Yet, it doesnt crash while typing these posts. Wierd....
    12-29-11 10:52 AM
    Depends on apps and websites too. How many tabs are you opening? Some badly written apps might by leaking memory and too many tabs will also hold memory. Try a restart, and without running any apps first, try using same websites with only 1 tab and see if it is better. Then see if you can browse with same number of tabs you were attempting to before...
    12-30-11 05:58 PM
    I've never seen the browser crash.

Can you post a url to a website that makes it crash? I'd like to try this for myself.
    12-30-11 06:06 PM
    Darn, I guess the OP is a troll.

I was really hoping to make my playbook crash, no matter what I do, my playbook only works as it should.

Stay with your maxipad.
    12-31-11 04:36 PM
    Sorry about that, usually just trying to type a post on this website makes the browser crash! It also crashes quite often while watching movies on megavideo. The browser almost always crashes when opened by the crackberry app, just while scrolling down reading posts. I usually have nfs undercover in the bg but this is just too much. This tablets supposed be all about multitasking. yet i cant run a game next to a browser with it crashing? The $40 return fee is too much for me right now, so I cant return it. Anyway, the crashing has reduced greatly as of late to only 4-8 times a day, and im hoping the february update fixes the OS. ure fortunate for getting a functional device, i truly am jealous.
    12-31-11 06:43 PM
    what can I do with my 8530 curve to help with this?
    12-31-11 06:50 PM
    Sorry about that, usually just trying to type a post on this website makes the browser crash! It also crashes quite often while watching movies on megavideo. The browser almost always crashes when opened by the crackberry app, just while scrolling down reading posts. I usually have nfs undercover in the bg but this is just too much. This tablets supposed be all about multitasking. yet i cant run a game next to a browser with it crashing? The $40 return fee is too much for me right now, so I cant return it. Anyway, the crashing has reduced greatly as of late to only 4-8 times a day, and im hoping the february update fixes the OS. ure fortunate for getting a functional device, i truly am jealous.
    My PlayBook is fine and I run many apps at the same time, including many versions of connections, tethering, bridging, wifi. The PlayBook is the most robust, stable, handy tablet I have ever used, and that goes back to an old Fujitsu P-600 tablet running Win2000.

Suggest you reinstall the OS via desktop mgr. If that does not work, call RIM and get warranty service.

If what you are saying is true, this is a very rare issue and seems to be isolate to your unit. Good luck.
    12-31-11 09:59 PM
    I've been having a similar problem. My browser just shuts down in the middle of a task, often when I'm on this site. I've had my PB since about September and haven't had this problem until about a week ago. I downloaded Angry Birds the day before this started. I have no idea if it's related to that, but it's extremely frustrating.
    01-01-12 09:44 AM
    Browser shut down by itself a few times in a day last week so I downgrade back to 1.0.8 until the official OS2 released.
    01-02-12 01:30 PM
    Ours crash also, but not as often as yours. That's not really that unusual for a new browser on a new platform. anyone remember the earlier Android browsers?

We don't have access to source obviously, from what I can tell from how it behaves, it looks like they have some memory leaks. Nothing they can't improve in the next release, except for the normal Flash struggles of course.

Oops, forgot my point: yes, a hard reboot fixes the issue on ours.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-02-12 at 02:02 PM.
    01-02-12 01:57 PM
    Yet, it doesnt crash while typing these posts. Wierd....
    I have a similar issue- JUST started after I wrote out a long post (first post here). As soon as I posted, my browser gave me a message that this sites certificate wasn't trustworthy?? I viewed certificated and I'm afraid to even post here what it said. Browser didn't crash though and I just shut it down. I'm on my other device right now. What's happening?
    01-02-12 06:52 PM
    I forgot my point: yes, a hard reboot fixes the issue on ours.
    I agree and also clear both PB and browser caches.
    01-02-12 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD