I don't see anything in the SDK that makes it easy for apps to support both form factors (like we have for iPad or Android). That's one thing they need to work on I think before they ship BB10 on the tablet. (one of a few things probably)
    I just whipped out an app today which has the UI entirely specified in QML (vanilla QtQuick code, not Cascades).

It took almost no effort to handle both re-orientation, and the resolution differences between the PlayBook and Dev Alpha.

Out of maybe 10 hours of effort on the app, and after subtracting some time spent learning pieces of QML that weren't familiar to me (I've been learning it only about a week), I'd estimate no more than half an hour of that effort was solely dedicated to making adjustments related to those differences (essentially four different screen resolutions).

From what I've seen of Cascades, I wouldn't expect it to be significantly different in this area, so I have no real concerns about it.
    Superfly_FR, lavo96 and KOOLWATER like this.
    06-09-12 11:17 PM
    Let's talk after you are back from bb Jam Paris.
    I'll fire a thread on my returns ... welcome there
    06-11-12 01:54 AM
    arent we BB10 lite version anyhow already ;-)
    06-12-12 04:00 AM
    I just whipped out an app today which has the UI entirely specified in QML (vanilla QtQuick code, not Cascades).
    Have you done Android development?

Relative layouts and linear scaling of graphics are not enough for apps that want to take full advantage of the available real estate, especially once RIM starts making half screen phones. Qualified resources, like what we have in Android, are what is needed here. Fortunately it seems RIM is working on this now, otherwise in the long run PB would just get really garish scaled versions of apps that were really designed for little half screens.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-12-12 at 06:17 AM.
    06-12-12 05:53 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD