Let' say I don't like the standard browser and wish to use 'Simple Browser' instead.
    All is fine, I pay the very small fee, and zoom no more ads.
    Anyhow, each time another application proposes an url, the Playbook system launches the standard browser.

My question: if I just REMOVE the standard browser,
    a) shall I be capable to reinstall it later, like a bought app for instance?
    b) the standard browser being absent, will the system detect that 'simple browser' can open urls, and launch it?

Any other advice welcome of course...
    (I also would like to do the same to switch from docstogo to Smart Office 2...)

TIA!
    Herv�
    07-05-12 03:07 PM
    The native browser is part of the OS and can't be removed, so the simple answer to your question is no.
    07-05-12 03:16 PM
    At this time, we have no power to change file associations. If we could most would dump the Adobe pdf fiasco and use a 3rd party one. Same with some other apps.
    07-05-12 05:52 PM
    At this time, we have no power to change file associations. If we could most would dump the Adobe pdf fiasco and use a 3rd party one. Same with some other apps.
    I see the default browser is indeed not visible in "my App" world, but Adobe reader is. So apparently I could remove it keeping the theoretical possibility to reinstall in case of trouble.
    Did someone try this?
    If I remove it, will the association be reallocated to existing alternate apps like Smart Office for instance (which definitely handles pdf perfectly)?

TIA!
    07-06-12 01:35 AM
    I see the default browser is indeed not visible in "my App" world, but Adobe reader is. So apparently I could remove it keeping the theoretical possibility to reinstall in case of trouble.
    Did someone try this?
    If I remove it, will the association be reallocated to existing alternate apps like Smart Office for instance (which definitely handles pdf perfectly)?

TIA!
    No. Adobe reader is part of the OS and cannot be removed. So you can't change the default pdf reader. If you want to open a pdf in Smart Office, just open Smart Office and open it from within the app. The only way to get close to what you want to do is to install and use an android file browser (Ghost Commander among others). If you navigate to a pdf using one of these, when you tap on a pdf the app will give you a choice as to what app you want to open the doc with, either Adobe Reader or any android pdf readers that you may have installed (but not Smart Office).
    07-06-12 03:00 AM
    No. Adobe reader is part of the OS and cannot be removed. So you can't change the default pdf reader.
    Ah, I see my error: Contrary to the others that just do not appear there, Adobe indeed is listed in "my world", but its "remove" button is... dimmed.
    Vicious...
    If you want to open a pdf in Smart Office, just open Smart Office and open it from within the app. The only way to get close to what you want to do is to install and use an android file browser (Ghost Commander among others).
    Why not an alternate native browser?
    07-06-12 10:59 AM
    Why not an alternate native browser?
    Because PB OS doesn't support opening files in alternative apps. Android does. So within the Android VM, when you attempt to open a file (if you have more than one Android app capable of opening that file) it'll prompt you to choose which Android app to use for that file. On real Android you could then choose to use that app by default for that file type, but not on the Android VM in PB OS.
    07-06-12 11:13 AM
    Thank you, that enlightens me. Now maybe I'll have a reason to seach for andro viewers for the attachments in K9mail. Up to now I avoided all non native apps for many reasons, but I must say as concerns email RIM's 'mark-all-read-is-not-an-option' thing is sufficiently abysmal to launch me there...
    Thanks again!
    07-07-12 04:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD