Is there any way to change the file permissions, after a file has been created by extracting it from a zip archive. The assigned permission set is r-- which causes me not being able to delete the files.

I was looking for an application allowing file permission changes, but my search had been unsuccessful. A complete wipe would be unfortuate, due to me having had newly set up the playbook and the extract was one of the first things I did. i just don't want to start over again.

Thanks!
    07-20-12 06:50 AM
    The only way I have found so far is to SSH in and use chmod. Actually now that I think of it, you should be able to do it with this: Konsole.bar (credits to xsacha for this)

The command would be something like

chmod 777 /accounts/1000/shared/documents/whatever

(777 will give full permissions to everyone, which will allow you to delete the file)

EDIT: Upon testing with Konsole, it doesn't seem to work. SSH it is I guess.
    Last edited by SifJar; 07-20-12 at 08:07 AM.
    I_pity_the_fool and Wolfgan like this.
    07-20-12 08:03 AM
    I understand I will only be able to ssh into the device if I enable developer mode, correct?
    07-20-12 08:29 AM
    Yeah. Once you do so, you can run Dingleberry to open an SSH terminal (the root part of Dingleberry will fail, but you can still open an SSH terminal), or you can use this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ect-qt-644380/

Either way, once you're in an SSH terminal, a command similar to the one I gave above should (hopefully) work. I know I have used chmod over SSH before, but I don't really know why it didn't work via Konsole.
    I_pity_the_fool likes this.
    07-20-12 09:03 AM
    Excellent, thank you. I will try that on the weekend.
    07-20-12 03:41 PM
    Did not work, ssh and chmod works as expected, but operation is not permitted.

Message: chmod: changing permission of IMG_00000010.jpg : Operation not permitted

Any other ideas maybe?
    07-21-12 04:26 AM
    SSH works great, unfortunately whatever command I use I always get "Operation not permitted".

Any other suggestions what might be possible?
    Thanks

Update:Well, can't change it, will wipe the Playbook now. Is there a webpage where I can submit bug reports for Playbook OS? Would be a shame if something similar would happen in BB10
    Last edited by I_pity_the_fool; 07-21-12 at 05:19 AM.
    07-21-12 04:33 AM
    Hmm, yeah that's the same error I got in Konsole. I'm sure I was able to do it before over SSH though...maybe it only works in certain directories or something.
    07-21-12 10:14 AM
    Seems to be a common theme here in email ZIP attachments that uncompress from email. They make their own folder in the /downloads/ area and then you can't delete them because of user permissions:

User "101391000: Unix User\101391000" and also "1000_shared: Unix Group\1000_shared".

Nothing will get rid of the folder/files. Tried Windows to change permissions, always Access Denied. No app on the Playbook itself lets you do it either.

This brings us to Playbook's native "File Manager" app. It is very weak and let us PRAY that this is not what BB10's File Manager will be like. It has huge problems, a disaster in my opinion for everything Blackberry has stood for up to now. Let us PRAY that the new BB10 File Manager will bring us the full power that our Blackberry Phone's file manager has now. Namely:

1. ability to browse through directory structures
    2. open/delete/rename files and extensions
    3. send and attach files of any type and extension and in any folder

Right now, the Playbook's built-in File Manager and email app file manager follow the same format... they group whatever media/document files it finds on the Playbook into 4 headings: "Pictures/Music/Video/Documents". If it doesn't have a recognizable file extension, it doesn't show up! That means I can't attach a file REPORT.XYZ if it doesn't know what file ".xyz" is.

That's unacceptable. If I download some proprietary software file type from my business and want to forward to someone, how the heck do I attach it? Even when I am in the web browser and want to attach or upload something to Google Drive or other cloud storage, same problem.... the Playbook's File Manager API kicks in and shows the same "clumped all together" files according to it's recognized extensions for "Pictures/Video/Music/Documents".

This is a truly crippling File Manager. The only way to by-pass this currently is to ZIP all of your files with unrecognized extensions (or rename them to a recognized extension although it is not that type of file) using a 3rd party file manager like AIR browser. Then when it is showing up as ZIP you have a chance to do something with them. However, that creates confusion on your recipient's end and extra steps. Also, if you happen to UNZIP the file you on your end you get problems with permissions and can't erase the files.

Please RIM... release an update or fix to the File Manager.
    Herve5 likes this.
    10-08-12 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD