Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StampyBeaverbrook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Camera compression.

I have asked this on other forums for other devices to no avail but maybe this time it could be different.

Is there any way that someone could dig around inside the Playbook to see if the compression settings for jpegs could be adjusted?

So many times I find that manufacturers apply way too much compression to pictures taken and they only end up good for on a small screen.

I think it would be a really neat feature if it could be adjusted to improve the image quality. Pulling back the compression by just 25% could prove worthwhile.

Maybe could also be applied to video as well?
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,133 Global Posts

Have you tried taking 1080p video with your PB? Its ridiculously good Always fun to mess with settings though
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Well yeah its not bad but usually most devices like these have the settings put to a high level to maximise the capacity.

However, I would prefer to have just 100 usable good shots than 10000 compressed to nothing ones. My Palm Pre2 has a 5MP camera but the shots are all compressed to the max. Most don't even reach 800KB in size and they should be at least 1800-2200KB. They look great on the tiny screen but then you transfer them to a PC and they look awful. Nothing wrong with the lens, the sensor at all. It's just some muppet in the tech dev dept decided to apply jpeg compression at 80%+.

I know that the Playbook isn't primarily a photo/video device but no harm in seeing if its capabilities could be tweaked further.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,133 Global Posts

Definitely
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Genius

One thing to do to maximize resolution is to shoot in 4:3 rather than 16:9. 4:3 pics are a full 5 megapixels while 16:9 are about 3.5. Basically, 16:9 pics take the 4:3 pic and lop off the top and bottom.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

the image quality could be better !
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by pacoman03 View Post
    One thing to do to maximize resolution is to shoot in 4:3 rather than 16:9. 4:3 pics are a full 5 megapixels while 16:9 are about 3.5. Basically, 16:9 pics take the 4:3 pic and lop off the top and bottom.
    It's not about resolution. MP count is fine. I'd be quite happy if the Playbook only had a 3.2MP camera as its main cam.

Its the compression that kills any camera. I have an old Nikon 3.2MP camera from around 2004 and it still blows many 8MP phone cameras out of the water for sheer clarity of picture due to it not having overbearing compression applied.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts

Compression is the least of it's problems.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I guess the real issue is that the Playbook is too locked down that no one could get to the settings to adjust them.

Shame really. Could be interesting to see what the Playbook could do image and video wise with the compression turned down as far as the CPU would allow.
    CrackBerry User

Doesn't compressing use more computing power? I think the bigger issues are lense and sensor sizes. Cramming more megapixels on a tiny sensor will create problems with noise, and a better lense and sensor will add to the price and thickness of the tablet. The only real solution is to get a camera.
    Last edited by StampyBeaverbrook; 12-07-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    itmccb likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Yes but the thing is...we cant change the lens, the sensor etc. etc. Stuck with them. So what else could we do to improve the situation with what we have?

We could potentially change the amount of compression applied to the image once its taken however. That would improve the quality of the final image by also reducing noise and artefacts.

Often the compression settings are the only real difference in a companies budget digital camera at $100 and the ones costing $400+. Same sensor, internals etc. just turn down the compression and a couple of other tweaks to make the $400 one look better.

As for reducing compression on video using more power, I was meaning that less compression on the video means a higher data rate being pushed through the tablet and it having to cope with that. Being able to push more data to the storage without stuttering/blocking. Down to the MBps write speed of the storage in the Playbook.

All rendered moot though, as the Playbook is too locked down I guess.
    Last edited by daglesj; 12-07-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by StampyBeaverbrook View Post
    Doesn't compressing use more computing power? I think the bigger issues are lense and sensor sizes. Cramming more megapixels on a tiny sensor will create problems with noise, and a better lense and sensor will add to the price and thickness of the tablet. The only real solution is to get a camera.
    It does take processing but not that significant as the image processing is hardware on the SoC.

The issue for RIM and small device manufacturers is understandable as memory space on a multi-use device is at a premium. Notwithstanding, lense and sensor is important, and a current user cannot affect that change, but having three or so compression and RAW settings should be doable. Actually I think that it was an oversight for not having it there in the first place. What else is new...I digress.

In short,
    Lense quality...as good as best in class
    Sensor...as good as best in class
    Flash....missing, but cost could have been the factor
    Focus...fixed only, no auto focus/ gross oversight
    App...missing some basic settings like compression and RAW
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

So I guess the question is.......can this feature be adjusted on the Playbook? Is it reachable?

Any of the tech dev types have the answer?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

This is kind of what I'm talking about.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...n-the-nexus-4/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2039553

Hopefully my Nexus 4 should turn up after xmas.