The amount of money spent on this is nowhere near as much as the losses that they are currently taking. It can pay off if they are smart about it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    That is very true. I can't say I know the costs of such an undertaking but it wouldn't be anywhere near that much. Personally I would love to see it happen, but this far in, I just don't see them changing course.

I remember reading elsewhere on here that people did get a version of qt working on the PlayBook though. Maybe if the right people care enough and haven't completely moved on they can come up with a usable alternative to Cascades?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:30 AM
    I want to see PB to be open sourced if they cannot do BB10 on it.
    Eder Reis likes this.
    12-18-13 05:14 AM
    I want to see PB to be open sourced if they cannot do BB10 on it.
    Never happen

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-18-13 06:49 AM
    I'm of the opinion that the reason we don't have Cascades on the PlayBook is simply due to BlackBerry not wishing to put the money and time into maintaining a Cascades SDK for Tablet OS, even though it would squeeze a bit more life out of the platform.
    The lack of Cascades on PlayBook also hurts BB10. While PlayBook may not be a profitable product for BB, it's out there and developers and enterprises still develop for it. They are forced use different technologies to be able to support PB, ruling out BB10's "preferred" SDK.

Plus, abandoning a product that is technically still viable is bad for BB's reputation.
    12-18-13 11:25 AM
    The lack of Cascades on PlayBook also hurts BB10. While PlayBook may not be a profitable product for BB, it's out there and developers and enterprises still develop for it. They are forced use different technologies to be able to support PB, ruling out BB10's "preferred" SDK.

Plus, abandoning a product that is technically still viable is bad for BB's reputation.
    ***golf clap***
    12-18-13 06:36 PM
    ***golf clap***
    Ditto

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    12-18-13 07:47 PM
    IF, outta the blue, they gave the playbook some outrageous update/upgrade, the echoes would be heard worldwide,,, & the mileage indefinate... (you reading Chen???)
    12-18-13 07:55 PM
    they aren't not listening, people. I just think it's a matter of logistics and approval to move ahead by those that could. remember, they want to make sure they aren't about to hit a brick wall before they worry about the wobble in the left rear tire. priorities.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 10:53 PM
    they aren't not listening, people. I just think it's a matter of logistics and approval to move ahead by those that could. remember, they want to make sure they aren't about to hit a brick wall before they worry about the wobble in the left rear tire. priorities.

Posted via CB10
    Here's a deep one for you, what if Blackberry was hitting a brick wall because they never kept any eye on the wobbly tyre? Hmmmm rubs chin.
    12-19-13 06:32 PM
    hehe I thought of the same question as soon as I posted that. cheers.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:03 PM
    Here's a deep one for you, what if Blackberry was hitting a brick wall because they never kept any eye on the wobbly tyre? Hmmmm rubs chin.
    chin? chinese? chen? ....I see what you did there.
    12-20-13 11:01 AM
    chin? chinese? chen? ....I see what you did there.
    Are you suggesting BlackBerry PlayBook users should rub John Chen's tummy like a Buddha idol? ;-)

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    12-24-13 04:15 AM
    Are you suggesting BlackBerry PlayBook users should rub John Chen's tummy like a Buddha idol? ;-)

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    Hey if it gets us an update I'm game.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 05:32 AM
    Hey if it gets us an update I'm game.

Posted via CB10
    Keep on dreaming...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-24-13 08:04 AM
    They should have known Playbbok needed 2G for BB10. Or did they?
    Or more specifically, they should have designed BlackBerry 10 to work on 1 gb of ram. Not because of the PlayBook, but to be able to get the price of the Q5 lower by shipping it with 1 gb.

It happened on Thor's watch, but it is Dan Dodge and Sebastien M who fell asleep at the wheel here

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 08:11 AM
    Keep on dreaming...
    last one was just this past Sept.,,, right after Chen took over,,, it's not outside reason that there could be another...
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    12-24-13 09:17 AM
    Despite the silence, SOMETHING is going on with the Playbook. The 1753 update, the bridge update, something is up. I bought into the hype that BB10 was coming to the PB too, and the snub has indeed affected my BB purchases. But the truth is that I only want two things on all the many PBs I have bought for my family:
    - apps (native or Android, I don't care)
    - bbm

If Chen and company can get us an updated (and separately updateable like 10.2.1 so we always have the latest) Android player to install and run APKs, as well as bbm for PB, then I am totally back on the BB bandwagon and will upgrade both my BBOS7.1 phones. That ought to count for something, right?
    12-25-13 01:20 PM
    Despite the silence, SOMETHING is going on with the Playbook. The 1753 update, the bridge update, something is up. I bought into the hype that BB10 was coming to the PB too, and the snub has indeed affected my BB purchases. But the truth is that I only want two things on all the many PBs I have bought for my family:
    - apps (native or Android, I don't care)
    - bbm

If Chen and company can get us an updated (and separately updateable like 10.2.1 so we always have the latest) Android player to install and run APKs, as well as bbm for PB, then I am totally back on the BB bandwagon and will upgrade both my BBOS7.1 phones. That ought to count for something, right?
    An updated Android runtime is less likely given the lack of usable RAM available. As for a native BBM client for the PlayBook - why ? BBM is already available via bridging with a BBOS or BB10 device.
    12-26-13 07:33 PM
    An updated Android runtime is less likely given the lack of usable RAM available. As for a native BBM client for the PlayBook - why ? BBM is already available via bridging with a BBOS or BB10 device.
    Because my kids don't have a BB phone. And because there are many other PB owners who don't have a BB phone. That was the same flawed logic that allowed the PB to ship to market with no PIM or email functions. All BB devices should come equipped with BBM.
    EchoesFX and DrBoomBotz like this.
    12-27-13 05:42 AM
    The lack of standalone BBM on the PlayBook is the perfect reminder of the failure of BlackBerry as a company. It is quite simply unacceptable that they didn't release this to THEIR OWN PlayBook devices. This was one of Thorsten Heins major screw ups. I am so glad that incredibly boring and short-sighted man got turfed (no tablets? - LOL, no job jackass). Too bad they had to bleed out several millions in severance. If I worked in their HR department, I would have just called a cab, slipped the cabby a $20 and said, "Take this man as far as twenty will last and then just pull over and tell him to GTFO!"

BBM was the mainstay of all OS 5, 6 and 7 phones. It was one of the main features that defined BlackBerry devices in general (keyboard, BBM, push mail and security "WERE" BlackBerry). Giving BBM to Android and iOS was a major departure for BBRY and I originally thought it was a bad idea because why would anyone want to move to BlackBerry devices if they could get BBM on their Androids or iPhones? No one but me these days uses BlackBerry products in my circle. So now at least I can communicate with my co-workers, friends and family using BBM once I get them to go through the install and sign-up process. The feedback from them ALL? They LOVE BBM! Even their stripped down versions that don't have all the features we grew to love (though they're getting them eventually in 2014 which will cause them to wet their pants).

I was right in the end because none of them, not a single one wants to jump ship over to BlackBerry devices - that would be platform suicide. In the end, it is just all us legacy OS 5, 6, 7 and tablet OS 2 (suckers) people who want to stay with BlackBerry but are increasingly having wandering eyes and are willing to jump ship to iOS or Android - NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND! I love my BB Torch 9810 and even all its quirks but unless BB OS 10.2.1 really changes the tables with it's Android 4.2.2 layer, I'm going to jump ship to Android full-on. I don't really want to, but I have to. All the decent apps I want are on that platform. Also, I would never, ever go to Apple - ever.
    jcbrunson and FlagshipFighter like this.
    12-29-13 01:44 PM
    I felt the same way about bbm going to other devices and you're probably right, it won't tease people over to the os. What I think it has done though is raised awareness that BlackBerry haven't totally gone.
    I was looking yesterday for accessories and noticed on a lot of sites BlackBerry phone aren't even on the main page of major sites, you have to search for them.
    Amazon even has Z10 listed at �500 when you search for it!
    In the UK THE place to find out about upcoming or new tech is the gadget show on tv. I have yet to see any mention of BB10 on there. When they so their phone reviews it's always android devices. Wouldn't do any harm for BlackBerry to get in touch with these people and get the os reviewed if for no other reason than to let people know they're still alive.

Somebody needs to get into mobile shops and get a BlackBerry display set up. The impression I get right now if I didn't know better is that BB the company are selling their phones off cheap themselves and UK resellers are dumping what's left of their stock.
    Massive marketing issue here in the UK. Most people I speak to think BlackBerry went pop about 6 months ago and unless you use this forum you wouldn't know any different.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:12 AM
    I fixed my PB. Being replaced as soon as my win8.1 tablet arrives.
    12-30-13 06:23 AM
    Also, I would never, ever go to Apple - ever.
    Just watch the recently released movie "Jobs" to strengthen your resolve to never buy an Apple product. Steve Jobs totally hosed his original team when the company went public. Sorry for the off topic rant, but I couldn't resist...
    12-30-13 10:32 AM
48 12