I just saw this video, can anyone else confirm this?

12-15-13 05:01 PM
    seeing is believing,,, he did say it was buggy & not everything worked,,, this vid made the rounds here a long time ago,,, there's another one out there,too,,, there are some, myself included, that think a stripped down version of "10" would work on the pb,,, it was thors' incompetence & poor execution that got it killed for the playbook, imo...
    milo53, AWB70 and Creaulx like this.
    12-15-13 05:23 PM
    seeing is believing,,, he did say it was buggy & not everything worked,,, this vid made the rounds here a long time ago,,, there's another one out there,too,,, there are some, myself included, that think a stripped down version of "10" would work on the pb,,, it was thors' incompetence & poor execution that got it killed for the playbook, imo...
    They should have known Playbbok needed 2G for BB10. Or did they?
    12-15-13 09:35 PM
    no one knows,,, there were reports it ran ok on 1gb Z10 alpha units, but went w/ 2gb, (rightfully), to accommodate the demands radio & hub,,, the playbook, not having the memory needs for phone apps, *might* get by,,, vids like these support this train of thought,,, we'll never know, unless chen throws us an unlikely bone...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 12-15-13 at 11:14 PM.
    12-15-13 10:58 PM
    BB10 was going to be just optimized for phones in the first instance, but in the end they ended up developing a more advanced version than the PBOS that would run better and with more features and it also came with the 2 GB requirement unfortunately. Look at early BB10 editions, the ones about a year before launch and you'll see a pretty similar interface between PBOS and BB10. I don't think there was a way that they would have saw it coming that they would have to up the final BB10 hardware at a 2 GB minimum requirement before the PlayBook was announced and released.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 11:06 PM
    Is it real? Yes.

Is it useful? Only for a very very limited number of things. Entertaining if you want to play around with Cascades

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-16-13 12:01 AM
    Is it real? Yes.

Is it useful? Only for a very very limited number of things. Entertaining if you want to play around with Cascades

Posted via CB10
    The first betas of BB10 did not reference BB10 at all, they all said PlayBook. There was indeed a version (up to a point) that worked on the device.
    SEAWARRIOR, kbz1960 and Eder Reis like this.
    12-16-13 06:24 AM
    The first betas of BB10 did not reference BB10 at all, they all said PlayBook. There was indeed a version (up to a point) that worked on the device.
    Of course there was. I was running it myself for a while, the last working version is 10.0.9.388. A lot of parts don't work properly though.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 11:37 AM
    i would looove it if the leakers got their hands on these goodies...
    12-16-13 11:37 AM
    i would looove it if the leakers got their hands on these goodies...
    See above It is a very buggy version that hardly can be called working.
    12-16-13 01:20 PM
    I just saw this video, can anyone else confirm this?

I can only confirm I want it...lol
    12-16-13 01:27 PM
    With all due respect, BB10 running on the playbook would be so sweet, albeit if it had to be a slimmed down version but is it not just a waste of time messing about with alpha/beta half finished leaks other than pure curiosity?
    Unless Blackberry themselves want to get involved in some way, shape or form it's pretty insignificant what they had.
    One thing I have noticed lately more than ever is Blackberry unwillingness to relay information from about future and current activity. Noticed a post before asking whether or not they have stopped tv advertising. Seems to me such an irony that a company in the communication industry is so, well, bad at communicating.
    Why did they not mention an update for the playbook was coming or that Bbm, then text was coming back to bridge?
    It's madness, sometimes I feel like they got so burnt with saying BB10 was coming to playbook that they now dare'nt say anything until it's out and working.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-16-13 03:13 PM
    See above It is a very buggy version that hardly can be called working.
    yeah,,, i'm talking about the versions that actually worked,,, there's GOTTA be some legit ones in the vault...
    12-16-13 05:31 PM
    If Chen is serious about focusing on software its a possibility that a refined pbOS could be released. Not full BB10 but a hybrid of sorts that could run BB10 apps, android runtime 4.2.2 and bb10 browser.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    westcoastjay likes this.
    12-16-13 05:39 PM
    If Chen is serious about focusing on software its a possibility that a refined pbOS could be released. Not full BB10 but a hybrid of sorts that could run BB10 apps, android runtime 4.2.2 and bb10 browser.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Now that would be a dream come true. General census of opinion is that this is never going to happen. Would be great to hear Blackberry or Chen comment either way.
    12-16-13 07:12 PM
    Now that would be a dream come true. General census of opinion is that this is never going to happen. Would be great to hear Blackberry or Chen comment either way.
    It would mean a lot in long-term to fix their reputation.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-16-13 07:34 PM
    With dwindling cash, it would be hard for BB to justify putting $ into the playbook. (Sadly since I own one too and love it)

I think BB recognizes that the ecosystem is as important as the hardware or even a single device; so I'm hopeful that BB will return with a tablet in 2014. I recall seeing a "leaked" BB timeline for 2014 that showed a new tablet (I think codename called the "U1").

But not holding my breath. We may have to go android for our tablets and, from what i've heard, once you go android you never go back.
    csf1711 likes this.
    12-16-13 07:47 PM
    I was using Samsung s3 before but then I moved to bb10 phone because I cannot set permission for any app on Android. I can see people like me buying bb10 tablet even though they used android tablet. Companies are using tablets too so BlackBerry will have a chance to sell tablets as well.

Posted via CB10
    csf1711 likes this.
    12-16-13 08:03 PM
    With dwindling cash, it would be hard for BB to justify putting $ into the playbook. (Sadly since I own one too and love it)

I think BB recognizes that the ecosystem is as important as the hardware or even a single device; so I'm hopeful that BB will return with a tablet in 2014. I recall seeing a "leaked" BB timeline for 2014 that showed a new tablet (I think codename called the "U1").

But not holding my breath. We may have to go android for our tablets and, from what i've heard, once you go android you never go back.
    Or once you go android you turn right back.... i think windows tablets are a better choice.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    EchoesFX likes this.
    12-16-13 08:54 PM
    Or once you go android you turn right back.... i think windows tablets are a better choice.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Well, considering a high end windows tablet still practically can run bluestacks and erm... you know... I think the windows tablet option isn't that bad after all.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    12-16-13 11:08 PM
    IMO, the quicker that BlackBerry drop the assumption that people don't want a tablet and over turn Thors decision which, at the time, like previously mentioned was probably more suited to his situation than his customers the better.
    People do want tablets and more importantly they prefer one that links seamlessly with their mobile so they can hop between the two depending on the situation. BlackBerry had THE best ecosystem there was at one point only being let down by the way the company implemented it and it's troubles at the time.
    They will lose a lot of customers from their mobile market when people buy android or other tablet then get a mobile of the same brand because a hell of a lot of people do that to keep things neat.
    Again, if it's something that Chen is interested in he needs to move on it fast. The playbook is not totally dead and could so easily be revived with not a great deal of outlay all things considered. It's not like they would be starting from scratch. They have bare bones hardware, some not quite finished os10 software kicking about and a loyal customer base waiting for this to happen.
    That could turn a massive negative back into a positive, improve their image and show the company does care and is a force to be reckoned with in the mobile computing market. Sooner rather than later. If it's too long down the line people will move on and if Chen does declare a tablet in 12 months time people will think yeah, yeah we've been here before.
    If right now a few small updates were brought out and I knew a tablet was in the pipeline I for one would hold out to see what they had to offer.
    As usual though, no one is 100% sure what is going on with the current playbook and the only sign of any future tablets is a rumour by a previous poster.
    I think get sick of not knowing what's going on rather than what actually is.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 04:34 AM
    IMO, the quicker that BlackBerry drop the assumption that people don't want a tablet and over turn Thors decision which, at the time, like previously mentioned was probably more suited to his situation than his customers the better.
    People do want tablets and more importantly they prefer one that links seamlessly with their mobile so they can hop between the two depending on the situation. BlackBerry had THE best ecosystem there was at one point only being let down by the way the company implemented it and it's troubles at the time.
    They will lose a lot of customers from their mobile market when people buy android or other tablet then get a mobile of the same brand because a hell of a lot of people do that to keep things neat.
    Again, if it's something that Chen is interested in he needs to move on it fast. The playbook is not totally dead and could so easily be revived with not a great deal of outlay all things considered. It's not like they would be starting from scratch. They have bare bones hardware, some not quite finished os10 software kicking about and a loyal customer base waiting for this to happen.
    That could turn a massive negative back into a positive, improve their image and show the company does care and is a force to be reckoned with in the mobile computing market. Sooner rather than later. If it's too long down the line people will move on and if Chen does declare a tablet in 12 months time people will think yeah, yeah we've been here before.
    If right now a few small updates were brought out and I knew a tablet was in the pipeline I for one would hold out to see what they had to offer.
    As usual though, no one is 100% sure what is going on with the current playbook and the only sign of any future tablets is a rumour by a previous poster.
    I think get sick of not knowing what's going on rather than what actually is.

Posted via CB10
    I'm going to deviate a lot, between theorycrafting and stating my personal opionion based on personal observations as is;

I think if you look at the PlayBook tablet as an extension module to all BlackBerry legacy devices, then it made a lot of sense, since the legacy devices were 'handicapped' in many ways, and the PlayBook had a lot of deliver (in which, in reality if by today's standards, you probably can tell a potential legacy BlackBerry customer to just buy any legacy BlackBerry devices together with a PlayBook to get the fullest benefit out of it), but I don't know the reason, it was rushed out, very pre-matured-ly. Like a 7-month old near stillborn baby.

nevertheless, if you look exactly at ASUS (which started launching the ASUS Transformer tab, this will be the highlight) against Motorola's Xoom and Acer Iconia A500/501 (I had the Acer instead), then by looking at the release cycles, it was very evident that ASUS was already toying with the idea of 2-3 devices "mergeable" into one, when Acer on the other hand nearly gave up the idea of a next Android tablet, or a high end one (I think around that time there was a change in the leadership of Acer, and they blamed the shift of focus from laptop form factors into tablets and androids as the reason they were suffering / doing very miserably). So I think that each company (BlackBerry especially) had a very different interpretation and philosophy when it comes to tablets and the way it is used.

I still think for now, that unless BlackBerry is gutsy enough to really take on the tablet world again, I doubt that there will be significant updates (except Bridge capabilities) on the PlayBook. Dismayfully, I have to let this sink in to myself. For me I do not think that tablets will make much difference in BlackBerry's strategy, unless they deviate from the original perspective (which to me seem to be) that the tablet is an extension of the handphones. I think there are even forumers that claim here that once they got their z10s and z30s the PlayBook mattered almost nothing.

However, I'm leaning to the idea that ASUS may be trying very hard to go with a 3 device in one, 3 device for 3 different purposes. However, I don't see them integrating meaningfully, except that its physically merge-able, and portable. I think that has been ASUS's strategy. For BlackBerry, if they are going to revive the tablet strategy, I don't think that the current philosophy in the failed PlayBook is wrong, but it has to be fully functional outside of niche cases (remember the video where CrackBerry Kevin and others were throwing a picture around each other's PlayBooks?) and be usable in day-to-day operations. One of the things that I find it very bugging is that, if I were to again use Gary Klassen's words, "that BlackBerry creates the palletes, artists use them", is the fact that BlackBerry does VERY little in using the palletes that they have created in a very meaningful way.

If you look at Samsung's "video editor", "story maker", etc, (wait, this may get off topic since people can claim I don't need this ****! bla bla bla), they make use of their tools and present it for people. BlackBerry was just hoping that people will come and pick up, but which these same people did not. If you take this into the tablet's perspective, then it becomes very evident what a "blank" tablet and a tablet with functionalities that are baked in can do. (remember the initial anger that RIM did not ship the PlayBook with a built in email client, when people had the impression that RIM was still very good with email clients on a mobile device?) Even when given the fact that the PlayBook could load a full native GMAIL experience on the website, people were demanding "Where the eff is my email client!? GRRR!" and somehow BlackBerry took the wrong message and started to ignore the PlayBook community.

If you ask me today, can PlayBook be revived? Yeah. But I doubt the success will be imminent. For example, I'm inclined to look at RT as an inspiration, but even then by many consumer's standards the RT is a massive niche failure, to the point that the company is already mulling to discontinue the RT (or merging, as they say). However, I think the PlayBook can stand on its own with a few other much needed add-ons, and can continue serving as an "extension module" for BlackBerry communicator devices (smartphones or not, BB10 or legacy or not). But only if they are gutsy enough to make it happen.
    12-17-13 05:59 AM
    The first and most important step, IMHO, is to make Cascades work on PlayBook. This would unify development of BB10 and PB apps onto a single native platform/technology, making it easier for developers (and BB) to build apps for both platforms at once. Technically there is no reason why this wouldn't work. Granted, the graphics performance of the PB is a little slower, but so is the screen resolution so there are less pixels that need pushing around.

Hopefully a new, more open version of Cascades will bring it back in line with Qt 5. That too would promote cross-platform development.
    anon(5597702) and jcbrunson like this.
    12-17-13 09:29 PM
    The graphics performance of the PlayBook is just fine for Cascades. I have written a couple apps in Cascades that ran on the PlayBook (mostly under 10.0.9.388, but also played around a little with Cascades 10.0.4 on 2.1 by stuffing the required libraries in the BAR), they worked fine other than needing a few changes to get the font size right and such.

I'm of the opinion that the reason we don't have Cascades on the PlayBook is simply due to BlackBerry not wishing to put the money and time into maintaining a Cascades SDK for Tablet OS, even though it would squeeze a bit more life out of the platform. Sad but at this point might as well accept it.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 12:53 AM
    The graphics performance of the PlayBook is just fine for Cascades. I have written a couple apps in Cascades that ran on the PlayBook (mostly under 10.0.9.388, but also played around a little with Cascades 10.0.4 on 2.1 by stuffing the required libraries in the BAR), they worked fine other than needing a few changes to get the font size right and such.

I'm of the opinion that the reason we don't have Cascades on the PlayBook is simply due to BlackBerry not wishing to put the money and time into maintaining a Cascades SDK for Tablet OS, even though it would squeeze a bit more life out of the platform. Sad but at this point might as well accept it.

Posted via CB10
    The amount of money spent on this is nowhere near as much as the losses that they are currently taking. It can pay off if they are smart about it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    AWB70 and anon(5597702) like this.
    12-18-13 12:59 AM
48 12