Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By diegonei
  • 1 Post By GreyGhostRos
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default The BlackBerry 10 homescreen on the PlayBook

Will the BlackBerry 10 homescreen work in Landscape? If they are planning on BB10 for the PlayBook.. it needs to, since PlayBook is based on Landscape use.
    Also, how many active frames would RIM allow the PlayBook to have open? The PlayBook's screen is larger but, it's a similar resolution. The processor is also dated, and lack of memory and RAM would not allow the OS to 'flow' as it will on the phones.
    Personally I hope RIM releases a updated WiFi PlayBook that is based for portrait use, with a newer processor, 2GB RAM, NFC, and an SD card slot since the BlackBerry 10 phones are getting expandable memory storage.

Default Re: The BlackBerry 10 homescreen on the PlayBook

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianNap View Post
    Will the BlackBerry 10 homescreen work in Landscape? If they are planning on BB10 for the PlayBook.. it needs to, since PlayBook is based on Landscape use.

I'm sure RIM will have a solution for that. Either it will work on both modes, or we'll see the PB re-imagined for protrait.

Also, how many active frames would RIM allow the PlayBook to have open? The PlayBook's screen is larger but, it's a similar resolution.

Nobody knows. Probably same as phones, maybe 15 (the PB ususally drops apps around that number anyway).

The processor is also dated, and lack of memory and RAM would not allow the OS to 'flow' as it will on the phones.

The difference from the PlayBook's hardware to phones hardware when it comes to processor speed is a mere .5 ghz. I don't think it will be an issue. They also have about the same RAM. I don't think you should concern yourself.

Personally I hope RIM releases a updated WiFi PlayBook that is based for portrait use, with a newer processor, 2GB RAM, NFC, and an SD card slot since the BlackBerry 10 phones are getting expandable memory storage.

They had plans for a new tablet after BB10. Wait and see what is coming I say.
    And welcome to the forums.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

BerryClever likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

Nobody knows what it looks like.. Unless Kevin, Blaze or Adam have had a secret peek at it in RIM internals
    BerryClever likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

The only thing I would add to the above responses is that the PlayBook should still work in both portrait and landscape. All phones and tablets have both orientations for the OS but apps designers can choose to use one or both. If anything, RIM will try to provide both orientations more often than just landscape only. Personally, I will be happy to see some more of the landscape only apps have both portrait and landscape mode.
    CrackBerry Abuser

It is important that BB10 is Optimized for Landscape AND Portrait orientations, Modern day smartphones and tablets cannot be tied down to one orientation, and have spotty support for the other, ...
    The Playbook manages both orientations flawlessly, but we have yet to see landscape anything from bb10, it worries me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

my guess bb10 will do both modes just fine, maybe there is no landscape homescreen on the phone version but the tablet version will have it for sure.
    RIM has to deliver a OS with system apps that work in both ways, anything else would just be ridiculous in 2013....
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

One of the requirements for our apps to get the Built For BlackBerry certification will be properly supporting not only the physical keyboard phone models, but also the landscape/portrait change. In some instances this of course won't make sense (e.g. some games) but in cases where it would, it appears it will be a mandatory feature.

I think that also makes it pretty certain that the system apps will generally support landscape mode as well, since they'd look pretty silly forcing developers to do that, yet not do it themselves.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by 3:
    BerryClever (11-13-2012),  Dr.Deebs (11-12-2012),  kbz1960 (11-12-2012)