This is definitely a come back year for RIM, and I think we really should start appreciating some of their efforts. Sure they messed up in the initial stage and now they are catching up and making amends. They aren't releasing bb10 until it's a solid kickass unquestionable device especially on the software front. They are filling out the gaps, and I must really say kudos to RIM. They learnt well from the playbook debacle, and BB10 is coming baked right through with the best frosting ever CASCADES!

They are staying true to deadlines and they are starting to realise where the market is at. Having Bbwc and providing devs with alpha devices to fill up the app gap.... That's a major initiative. This coming week is like Olympics for me and im cheering BlackBerry all the way. RIM is playing hardball...

The success of BB10
    1. Solid operating system - QNX - check
    2. kickass UI Framework - Cascades - check
    3. Hardware - RIM is not naive to the power their devices require, nor where the competition is (playbook was on par at release.) - *crosses finger* - check

4. Marketing - They are paying enough attention - BE BOLD! SPEND SPEND SPEND, hire Kevin already for CMO or get some badass no crap PR firms to back ya. - ****
    5. Get the big developers and the apps. The Skype, Netflix, instagram, draw something, etc etc.
    6. Finally INNOVATION: no more lagging behind. Leap frog now now now. Create a badass BerryCLOUD that makes icloud look like it's not even trying.

Oh did I mention RIM has the most compliant html 5 mobile browser on the planet already??? BB10 is already kicking and taking names. I believe in RIM.
    04-29-12 03:52 PM
    hope the bb10 phones can run android apps
    04-29-12 04:27 PM
    Let the hype begin... I personally don't want to hear all the complaints from the early adopters when RIM under executes. But just realize who is setting the expectations high... RIM hasn't been over selling this. Now let the same people start chastising me about how I don't share your rose colored view...
    04-29-12 04:29 PM
    Its RIM ... they will get bashed either way, because the media likes doing it. I wouldnt say my post was hyped, my checklist is more factual than not. And im being optimistic, and ill be behind RIM however it turns out. I bought a playbook 5 months ago, and thats after some early adopters whined that its a half baked product.
    04-29-12 04:47 PM
    Honestly its not going to be this year. There are 2 quarters with no real new releases coming. You might get more OS 7 devices and maybe a new cellular PB but the next 2 quarters are going to be tough. You might get the new phones released in Q4 but again you wont see the end result of that release until next year really. IMO RIM has to scratch and claw to survive 2 more quarters and then get BB10 out the door on atleast 2 devices and it needs to be complete and also have some wow factor to set it apart. 2013 will be a comeback year if everything goes as planned though.
    04-29-12 04:49 PM
    Whilst I appreciate your enthusiasm OP, almost nothing of your six-point list actually exists at the time of writing. Maybe hold until this time next week when we see exactly what RIM announce/release at BBW/Jam?

2. kickass UI Framework - Cascades - check

All I've seen of Cascades is a succession of videos - when I see a Cascades API incorporated into the NDK and available on general release, that's when I'll believe RIM are listening. So I guess we'll see what next week brings.

I agree with Howarmat - 2012 is done for RIM (unfortunately). It's 2013 that may be RIM's comeback year if the BB10 phones due in 12Q4 sell well.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 04-30-12 at 02:28 PM.
    kennyliu and ambarmetta like this.
    04-30-12 02:25 PM
    if RIM can at least get the United States to CONSIDER them an option, then they have a chance. Unfortunately, most of the negative press about RIM comes from them
    04-30-12 02:29 PM
    I guess after today, i suppose i was right on the mark. Anyone waiting for further proof on the power and potential of cascades is in denial. We have all seen the demos live in action on the playbook, whether they will make it to the platform yes is another story but it shows what cascades is capable of. Im not trying to convince anyone here, some of my opinions are lil optimistic but the facts and truth of tats capabilities are hardcore. @jeep BB, u have seen cascades api incorporates into the ndk... Scrapbook ring any bells? The calculator app? Thats more than a succession of videos.

I might have put it at 2012, ok fine thats my opinion. The title of the thread is bb10 is Rim's come back. Whether this year or the next, whichever u choose. BB10jam answered my prayers
    05-02-12 12:45 AM
    This is definitely a come back year for RIM, and I think we really should start appreciating some of their efforts. Sure they messed up in the initial stage and now they are catching up and making amends. They aren't releasing bb10 until it's a solid kickass unquestionable device especially on the software front. They are filling out the gaps, and I must really say kudos to RIM. They learnt well from the playbook debacle, and BB10 is coming baked right through with the best frosting ever CASCADES!
    They had 1 year already using the BlackBerry PlayBook as the platform for the next generation. Yet they chose to segment the smartphone and tablet when both are supposed to run the same operating system. The learned nothing from the "playbook debacle," as you put it, as evidenced by the projections of a Q3/Q4 release of the first BlackBerry 10 smartphone and maybe 6 months, minimum, later an update for the tablet.

They are staying true to deadlines and they are starting to realise where the market is at.
    They pushed the deadlines as far out as possible in the calendar year and there are rumors of further delays into 2013. This is not progress.

Having Bbwc and providing devs with alpha devices to fill up the app gap....
    The BlackBerry 10 applications cannot be released to BlackBerry AppWorld as stated by Research In Motion until the release of BlackBerry 10 smartphone and later for the tablet. This will not fill any "app gap."

4. Marketing - They are paying enough attention - BE BOLD!
    ROFLMAO Seriously.

6. Finally INNOVATION: no more lagging behind. Leap frog now now now. Create a badass BerryCLOUD that makes icloud look like it's not even trying.
    If the anemic BlackBerry Protect and problem-riddled BlackBerry Business Cloud Service are any indication of their proficiency in the realm of cloud services, God help us all.

Oh did I mention RIM has the most compliant html 5 mobile browser on the planet already?
    Good. Yet there are HTML5 websites which do not properly function on the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser. But at least they have been supporting HTML5 gradually from the outset.
    05-02-12 03:17 AM
    @jeep BB, u have seen cascades api incorporates into the ndk... Scrapbook ring any bells? The calculator app? Thats more than a succession of videos.
    Scrapbook was just as much a demo as all those videos. It was produced by TAT using the Cascades API that until yesterday was unavailable to anyone else. No other developer could have used the Cascades UI toolkit in any of their Apps.

However, credit where it's due. RIM have now put Cascades on general release and I hope good things come from it. Tho' I'm not sure where it leaves me, as a Playbook owner, as I'm not sure that I'll see any of those "built-on-Cascades" Apps until BB10 comes to Playbook. Which given RIM's stated timelines: "BB10 on PB after BB10 phone launch... towards end of 2012"... puts those PB Apps firmly into 2013.

Still. I'm heartened by these signs of progress from RIM, but the edge of the woods is still some way off.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 05-03-12 at 02:37 AM.
    05-03-12 02:32 AM
    Its RIM ... they will get bashed either way, because the media likes doing it. I wouldn't say my post was hyped, my checklist is more factual than not. And I am being optimistic, and ill be behind RIM however it turns out. I bought a playbook 5 months ago, and thats after some early adopters whined that its a half baked product.
    Maybe so but from a financial perspective they are taking down my 401. The techies may be drooling over the BB10 show but the financial world was and still is underwhelmed and mostly concluded that they may have come close to bridging the 5 year gap between Iphones & Androids but have lost large market cap even as service revenue was up. Look at their share price today.....it has been circling the drain like Sirius/XM did from $33 down to piddling buck and change......

Stay supportive yes.....
    but be realistic....even looking at asset liquidation ratio it is not a 'buy' signal for more shares.......

To survive they will have to do what Apple did because of Jobs.... but Steve is gone and RIMM does NOT have nor show any visionary leadership if there was even a spark the financial world may have been more lenient but that was not the case.....

Plus I really believe many folks here have unrealistic expectation.....look RIMM has NOT shown any leadership nor vision in the last five years the products have been a big yawn......and the only consistency they have it the inability to deliver a good product on time with minimal issues. It's like the release of Windows Vista everyday ala Ground Hog Day.....lol...

Corporate culture does not change over night nor within five months...... I have been in a corporate situation where the regulators came and shut us down. It took YEARS to change business culture from top down to the grounds keepers! So please just a warning try to be realistic.

Try not to blast RIMM to hard when they let you down and try not to spike the ball to hard if they show a spark of genius because the first glitch will make it fizzle....
    Last edited by Chinookman; 05-03-12 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    05-03-12 11:09 PM
    I am too blinded to see that RIM went anywhere. As for financials, unless you are vested, what does it matter? Are they still making phones, are people buying them. I took a quick poll tonight @hockey. Lots of Bolds and 2 sliders. More 9800's than iphones.. Ok, maybe a small demographic. Possibly skewed because I live in Ontario. Anybody on this board running/ working in a top 5 company. Anyone resigned that their company is going out of business because they are not top 5 or do you still go to work daily?
    Just asking because it seems like a lot of people have to keep telling us and themselves that the end is near over and over until they believe it. And truth be told, if they did by some chance fold up and go home, everyone would move on and forget about it by next week.
    Good to see them changing tactics and telling what their vision is and how they are going to move forward. They are allowed to grow or shrink into their own comfort zone and provide what they believe will benefit users. I think it's a great step forward.
    05-04-12 12:05 AM
    I am too blinded to see that RIM went anywhere. As for financials, unless you are vested, what does it matter? Are they still making phones, are people buying them. I took a quick poll tonight @hockey. Lots of Bolds and 2 sliders. More 9800's than iphones.. Ok, maybe a small demographic. Possibly skewed because I live in Ontario. Anybody on this board running/ working in a top 5 company. Anyone resigned that their company is going out of business because they are not top 5 or do you still go to work daily?
    Just asking because it seems like a lot of people have to keep telling us and themselves that the end is near over and over until they believe it. And truth be told, if they did by some chance fold up and go home, everyone would move on and forget about it by next week.
    Good to see them changing tactics and telling what their vision is and how they are going to move forward. They are allowed to grow or shrink into their own comfort zone and provide what they believe will benefit users. I think it's a great step forward.
    AFAIK, many companies are still with blackberry but they are watching and preparing for if rim goes under. The way RIM's market share is going, if they can't turn around, I won't be surprised to see more and more companies switching. There are quite few software out there can do similar job BES does to manage android and iphone so security won't be the biggest concern.

That being said, I do wish RIM can turn things around as its the best icon for Canadian technology.
    Last edited by zzbsb; 05-07-12 at 10:02 PM.
    05-07-12 09:59 PM
    I think one major problem RIMM has is also it's chief asset which is privacy. Google/Android, Amazon and popular apps on iOS such as Instagram ,Facebook ,Spotify ect.- All rely on the use and abuse of their user's data, wittingly and unwittingly sometimes honestly but often dishonestly. Add revenue and market research generate income at the expense of the user's privacy. People are beginning to get fed up. In today's New York Times there was an article "How to muddy your tracks on the internet." that covered several aspects of this. People are actually hiring consultants to erase aspects of their online identity, created in a large part by these apps and platforms. I think as more people choose to reclaim their privacy ,there will be a backlash against Google/Android and iOS. RIMM just has to be there with a compelling alternative in terms of solid hardware and software. BB10 looks promising, hopefully it can deliver. Already, people whose privacy is critical hang on to BlackBerry.

Another interesting but unmentioned factor will be the fallout from the Google/Oracle case. As of today Google/Android has lost but no settlement has been reached. This may take several months.
    Last edited by Apelles1; 05-08-12 at 12:24 AM.
    05-08-12 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD