Honestly, there really is no point in them porting BB10 to the PB. The PB is pretty much dead, it cant get any better. And with all the better tablets out on the market (surface, nexus,) PB is as good as dead. There is just no way RIM can support it's dying product
    I think you never got to use playbook......all other tabs are sold because of the hype.....
    12-27-12 10:38 PM
    I think you never got to use playbook......all other tabs are sold because of the hype.....
    And yet the PB isnt creating hype with all the price dropping it went through as well *** BB10. Hype is part of marketing. RIM does it also but whether they succeed or not is your own opinion
    12-27-12 11:00 PM
    because.. if the first bb10 phones ship with 2GB of RAM as is rumored, then it is not likely bb10 will run very well on the playbook with 1GB. someone said they could optimize it a lot to work well in 1GB. we'll see.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    12-27-12 11:04 PM
    so all other android and windows tabs are sold on hype and they cant possibly be products that are actually good? gotcha
    12-27-12 11:12 PM
    Sure the PB can stand up, but it can't compete. Otherwise why would it sell for below $200
    The only problem why the PlayBook can't compete is because of 2 reasons: (1) lack of apps and (2) continual media bashing even today. It was a poorly released product due some very poor RIM marketing decisions (lack of native email, etc.). Luckily today OS2.1 changed much of these issues however many of the consumers had already moved onto more complete products before RIM made the necessary changes. It had nothing to do with its hardware and software capability. Capabilities that can easily run BB10 (if you actually cared to run my previous posting). If you actually used one recently.. you'd know what I mean that it can hold its own...
    12-27-12 11:49 PM
    I think there will be a newer version of the Playbook introduced after the phones - with BB10 on it. I don't think this version will get BB10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-28-12 12:02 AM
    I think there will be a newer version of the Playbook introduced after the phones - with BB10 on it. I don't think this version will get BB10.
    I don't know why people keep thinking this way. RIM already said it would come:

http://mashable.com/2012/03/15/playbook-blackberry-10/

"Speaking to Tech Radar, RIM VP of Product Management Rob Orr said, "We've said publicly a number of times that our first BB10 handset will be available towards the end of 2012, and that's still firmly the case. "At some point after the launch we'll bring BB10 to our PlayBooks, yes."

RIM would tick off a lot of people if BB10 didn't show up on the current PB after making countless statements that it'll be there. Also, what better way to test it for a new improved playbook then introducing it on the current model. We've already seen how nicely Cascades and other apps run on the current playbook.
    12-28-12 12:20 AM
    RIM VP of Product Management Rob Orr said, "We've said publicly a number of times that our first BB10 handset will be available towards the end of 2012, and that's still firmly the case. "
    Maybe that's why we think the way we do.
    magutwit likes this.
    12-28-12 12:28 AM
    RIM VP of Product Management Rob Orr said, "We've said publicly a number of times that our first BB10 handset will be available towards the end of 2012, and that's still firmly the case. "
    Maybe that's why we think the way we do.
    But BB10 is still getting delivered right... And what's a month between fellow crackberry members anyways
    12-28-12 12:38 AM
    If Thor , Frank and a Handful of other RIM employees say its coming to PlayBook then it just might maybe could be possibly true...but probably not....lol

Maybe they meant the PlayBook 2? Hehehe

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-28-12 12:55 AM
    If Thor , Frank and a Handful of other RIM employees say its coming to PlayBook then it just might maybe could be possibly true...but probably not....lol

At this point the only way to save the PB brand is by releasing PB 2. Supporting the PB wont do any good as it has fallen out of the tablet race with no hope of catching up
    12-28-12 01:08 AM
    Sure the PB can stand up, but it can't compete. Otherwise why would it sell for below $200
    You seem to be obsessed with that magic number $200. This is the second post of yours throwing it around. I bet if it sold for $201 you would be all smiles. I guess since the iphone 4s is less than $100 on contract now it must be crap too.
    12-28-12 01:21 AM
    You seem to be obsessed with that magic number $200. This is the second post of yours throwing it around. I bet if it sold for $201 you would be all smiles. I guess since the iphone 4s is less than $100 on contract now it must be crap too.

Lets compare shall we

with contract
    PB: NA
    IP4s: 0

without contract
    PB: 200
    IP4s: 400

You should consider the different categories. Also consider the fact that the 4s is now considered by APPLE to be "outdated" hardware
    12-28-12 01:45 AM

I may be reading too much into this but, whenever I've seen Thor quoted on this subject, he generally states RIM's continuing commitment to being in the tablet space... but I can't recall him ever using the term "Playbook". I've always thought that unwillingness to specifically reference the Playbook - the only tablet RIM has - as a little strange.

I agree with KevinN above, I don't think our current crop of PB's will see BB10. I reckon the 1GB RAM will prevent BB10 running effectively, so RIM won't bother.

And, yes, Rob Orr (is he still there?) did make that "BB10 coming to PB" statement... but he said it in March 2012... months before BB10 was delayed in the Summer and RIM went into crisis mode. So I personally doubt it being something you can take to the bank now.
    12-28-12 05:24 AM
    [QUOTE=super mecha;7808617]

without contract
    PB: 200
    IP4s: 400

You should consider the different categories. Also consider the fact that the 4s is now considered by APPLE to be "outdated" hardware[/QUOTE]

Ahm, aren't all Apple product outdated once they're released
    12-28-12 07:09 AM
    Just a thought (wish) perhaps Frank Boulben's team may have considered the PB 10 release a low-risk, low-cost tactic to crank up the buzz before the handset release...a dedicated enthusiastic group of users would then provide intelligent technical feedback as well as add the affirmation, positive chatter and buzz needed to generate traction for the "unified mobile computing experience" on phones and tablets Thorsten is always reiterating in interviews....whatddaya think?
    magutwit likes this.
    12-28-12 09:47 AM
    They said BB10 was coming to the PlayBook, so I expect them to keep their word. I do expect it to be different than the phones though, due to the different default orientation, the different resolution (all BB10 apps are expecting 1280x768 (initial L-Series), or 1280x720 (future full-screen), or 720x720 (n-series)). I'm not aware that they've every also indicated that 1024x600 is a valid option too. Therefore, I think BB10 on PlayBook may be months after the phones, and it'll be different than the phones and original PB apps will work and any BB10 apps that have been specifically formatted for the lower resolution would work (but I'd expect not many would be). So I expect OS improvements with the interface and functionality, but we may not get the additional apps for BB10.
    12-28-12 11:14 AM
    At this point the only way to save the PB brand is by releasing PB 2. Supporting the PB wont do any good as it has fallen out of the tablet race with no hope of catching up
    Since we are not compiling the linux kernel using gcc nor processing large data sets using R, I cannot fathom how the current BlackBerry PlayBook has fallen out of the tablet race. There are three flaws with the current tablet: only 1GB RAM when 2-4GB RAM would have been perfect; and lack of a microSD card slot; and a USB port with subpar build-quality with those on their smartphones. We cannot do anything about the 1GB RAM limitation. We can use BlackBerry Bridge to access the microSD card (32GB maximum supported) in our BlackBerry smartphone. We can use either the rapid charging dock or magnetic rapid charger to reduce wear-and-tear on the USB port.
    12-29-12 05:59 AM
    There's no reason they can't do both and I think they will. The current PB is still competitive, its specs are on par with the iPad Mini when you factor in the pluses and minuses on both.

As for the 2GB issue, how much memory do the dev alphas have? Just because the new phones might have 2GB doesn't mean it is the base minimum required.
    12-29-12 01:47 PM
    we all see screen shots of bb10 on phone and what not. We hear all sorts of talk about it. But very little on the playbook. Until i can see a video of bb10 on the playbook in trial, or screen shots of bb10. i have my doubts that it will ever come to the first generation playbooks.
    12-30-12 03:52 PM
    BlackBerry10 is coming to the first generation PlayBook idk why people think this is such a long shot lol. Its coming and its coming very soon...Rim soon of course but neverthless soon
    According to BlackBerryDev its absolutely coming to PlayBook so Im gonna go with what they say rather than a consumers opinion since ya know they actually build the OS and stuff like that
    12-30-12 07:35 PM
    i'm the kinda of guy who like to see proof before saying it's true or not. Maybe it will come and make the playbook one of the best tablets out there, or maybe not. But in the mean time i'm not gonna get excited over something that is yet just a saying, even if it is by an leader.
    12-30-12 08:21 PM
    I don't understand the concept of this thread.
    The only thing it does is try to scare off people from purchasing the PlayBook, by implying that it won't get the bb10.

It either will get bb10 or it won't its up the RIM management and marketing to decided the best course of action, I am afraid non of you are qualified or have the required data to make even an educated guess.

So let's wait until Jan 30 to find out, shall we?
    Last edited by pavlos46; 12-31-12 at 07:16 PM.
    12-31-12 08:35 AM
    I don't understand the concept of this thread.
    The only thing it does is try to scare off people from purchasing the PlayBook, by implying that it won't get the bb10.

It either will get bb10 or it won't its up the RIM management and marketing to decided the best course of action, I am afraid non of you are qualified or have the required data to make even an educated guess.

So let's wait until Jan 30 to find out, shall we?
    What, and ruin everybody's favorite game - speculate on speculation and ruminate on rumors!
    JeepBB, magutwit, BB_Bmore and 1 others like this.
    01-01-13 01:04 PM
    I cant believe this thread is still alive...
    01-01-13 06:55 PM
106 12345