So much speculation about BB10. But all I want to know is can I expect this update on my PB , and will it be the quantum leap that the hype suggests.
    11-04-12 03:19 AM
    as far as i know RIM promised to get BB 10 to tablets sometime after the first BB 10 smartphones are released
    vipkyd likes this.
    11-04-12 04:38 AM
    We can already run BB10 on Paybook. It's quite buggy though. In time it will work just fine. As mentioned, the proper stable port is promised after BB10 launch.
    vipkyd likes this.
    11-04-12 05:02 AM
    No technical reasons, but there may be business reasons against it.
    vipkyd likes this.
    11-04-12 05:14 AM
    If they have promised it then it will come to the PlayBook eventually.. No one knows how much of it will be brought over though.. Maybe the whole thing..
    11-04-12 07:04 AM
    I guess, we should first wish that RIM could release the BB10 phones on time and that it would be "awesome"!... then we can wish to roll it too in our PlayBook...

Without available existing phones running BB10 in the market, BB10 in PlayBook is still a "wishful" thinking...
    Mohamed El_Prince likes this.
    11-04-12 07:19 AM
    I think there is no way RIM would release (officially) BB10 on PB before the phones are launched... There is no good reason for them to do so...
    Mohamed El_Prince likes this.
    11-04-12 08:12 AM
    Something can always come up but they have consistently said they would get it on the PB after the phones are released. The hardware is over 2 years old at that point so hopefully it will still be enough for smooth bb10 operation.
    11-04-12 08:33 AM
    Something can always come up but they have consistently said they would get it on the PB after the phones are released. The hardware is over 2 years old at that point so hopefully it will still be enough for smooth bb10 operation.
    If you've tried Scrapbook, Print to Go, and swapping from app to app using bezel gestures, you can tell the hardware is BB10 capable. The only reason to upgrade hardware these days in computing is for faster and better gaming, which is what the new iOS devices advertise; also, of course, desktop gaming.
    11-04-12 11:26 AM
    You do realize you've just created a whole new waiting game war, and we're not even into a full month of 2.1.

Let the speculation begin as to when BB10 for PB drops.
    11-04-12 11:39 AM
    You do realize you've just created a whole new waiting game war, and we're not even into a full month of 2.1.

Let the speculation begin as to when BB10 for PB drops.
    Created? There's already been at least 10 threads on this topic.
    11-04-12 12:51 PM
    Playbook already runs QNX so all the low level support is already there, so what they need to do is port the BB10 framework to Playbook. It should be fairly straight forward for RIM.
    vipkyd and Mohamed El_Prince like this.
    11-04-12 02:02 PM
    "We took the hard decision to go the hard route" to completely rewrite the BlackBerry software for phones, said Heins, who with his fellow executives demonstrated the new software to developers. "I'm not thinking about BlackBerry being No. 1 in smartphones. I have a longer view on this: It is to be No. 1 in mobile computing with smartphones and tablets."
    Struggling RIM aims for leading role in mobile industry - ContraCostaTimes.com
    11-04-12 02:33 PM
    Imagine RIM is a WW2 era military aircraft
    Right now they are using Emergency War Power.
    Emergency War Power was typically a big red button beside the throttles that was only to be used in
    the most dire of circumstances for very short periods because it gave a big boost in power at the price of imminent engine failure.

RIM must release BB10 on the promised hardware targets in the promised time frame or very bad things will happen.
    If and/or when that is done... then the engineers will likely get some much needed time off and/or slack time.

An engine that has been run at emergency war power should get an overhaul before its next mission.

Only then will they start working like crazy on the dot version of BB10 for the phones.
    If the phones sell very well and all the teething issues get sorted out... then they will be able to take a step back and work heads up.
    mooiben likes this.
    11-04-12 03:56 PM
    Seriously? Another thread on this?

BlackBerry 10 main priority, will shift focus to mobile computing later: Thorsten Heins, RIM - Page 3 - Economic Times

From that interview with Heins, published on Sep 28, 2013:
    Q. Will you take the battle to tablets too or focus on smartphones for a while?
    A. All Playbooks that are out there today are all upgradable to BB 10. We will have to adapt BB 10 to Playbook (Blackberry tablet) and when that is ready, you'll have one platform across the smartphone and across the tablet-a single mobile computing platform.
    11-04-12 06:02 PM
    If the OS is going to be exactly the same as the one on the phone. I would rather they only port over specific modules.

I like the carousel UI. And flow gestures on the Playbook would not work as well.

So I think they will really have to make a hybrid OS. Playbook UI with BB10 modules. At this rate, BB10 OS will not come to the Playbook (IF AT ALL) until at least Q3 of next year.
    BB10 for the Playbook will likely not come out until they release another tablet. Perhaps the Blackforest?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-04-12 10:57 PM
    The OS will not be "exactly the same" as the phone version... if it were, they could release it almost simultaneously with the phones. They understand that tablets are a different type of device, used differently, and need their own ways of doing things to be effective. Simple example: phones will primarily be used in portrait mode, with one hand and often the thumb as the main form of control, while the tablets are generally held in two hands, with thumbs on both sides used for interaction.

I see no reason why it would take them until Q3 next year to do this either... at least, not if they release the phones on time.
    BerryClever likes this.
    11-05-12 10:47 AM
    Quite simply: Resources.

Steve Jobs once said, "I'm more proud of what we don't do than what we do". RIM is 7,000 people smaller than it was two years ago. Once they get BB10 out the door, they've also got to plan for service packs, BlackBerry 11 etc.

And let's be honest ... RIM is probably going to sell more BB10 phones in a quarter or two than it has sold PlayBooks in two years. If the resources require them to decide which to focus on, I would choose the phone.

(I say this as someone who has only a PlayBook and not a BlackBerry phone right now).

If the OS is going to be exactly the same as the one on the phone.
    It's not. It would have to be modified to fit the form factor, tested etc. Making an OS is not trivial.
    11-05-12 04:17 PM

And let's be honest ... RIM is probably going to sell more BB10 phones in a quarter or two than it has sold PlayBooks in two years.
    Since we're being honest about the PlayBook's success, I thnk a comparison to other tablets on the market may be germane to this discussion.

"Apple Sells Three Million iPads in Three Days
    Wi-Fi Only Models of New iPad mini & Fourth Generation iPad Double Previous First Weekend Sales."

This particular tablet manufacturer sold about twice the number of tablets in 3 days as RIM has ever sold. Remember this number doesn't include iPad 2 sales. More importantly, the LTE versions (out in less than a month) of the mini were not offered for sale on that weekend.

The PlayBook is a stunning commercial failure.

My opinion is that BB10 will arrive around July 2012 for the PlayBook. It would be too embarrassing even for RIM not to throw some sort of a bone after their repeated promises. It will, however, receive resources from RIM commensurate with its success in the market. There is a high probability that the user experience will be suboptimal upon release. It is unlikely that this will change significantly over time considering that the hardware will be over 2 years old at that point and RIM will likely continue to apportion their expenditures in a way that maximizes their likelihood of survival.

Playbook OS updates and bug fixes will be starved for funding.

EOLing the product and a complete retrenchment from the tablet market for the foreseeable future is the likely outcome.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    11-05-12 11:15 PM

Steve Jobs once said, "I'm more proud of what we don't do than what we do". RIM is 7,000 people smaller than it was two years ago. Once they get BB10 out the door, they've also got to plan for service packs, BlackBerry 11 etc.

And let's be honest ... RIM is probably going to sell more BB10 phones in a quarter or two than it has sold PlayBooks in two years. If the resources require them to decide which to focus on, I would choose the phone.

(I say this as someone who has only a PlayBook and not a BlackBerry phone right now).

It's not. It would have to be modified to fit the form factor, tested etc. Making an OS is not trivial.
    they had better sell more than 2 million bb10 phones in the first quarters or they are in trouble
    magutwit likes this.
    11-05-12 11:43 PM
    they had better sell more than 2 million bb10 phones in the first quarters or they are in trouble
    i agree : o
    11-06-12 04:56 AM
    I don't know if you can decipher this quote...doesn't sound like BB10 is coming to PB, BBM apparently is not.

"Just mere days ago, GoMoNews.com got the chance to talk with Thorsten Heins to find out why the Canadian tech company is taking their time. He claimed that he wanted BlackBerry 10 to work right. It�s expected that BB10 will be a completely revamped version of their software. Thorsten Heins also mentioned that, �Our developer teams are continuing to generate momentum to bring a wealth of applications to BlackBerry 10.�
    GoMoNews.com also recently got the chance to talk to some of the PR representatives for some more answers regarding the situation. One thing that was confirmed was BlackBerry�s requirement for BBM (BlackBerry Messenger). They�ll need to install either BlackBerry Enterprise Server(BES) or BlackBerry Internet Service(BIS) to get the BBM to work.
    The second important question is if there were any BES or BIS clients for the upcoming RIM PlayBook. According to the PR reps, that answer is no. The new devices will run on a specialized operating system based on QNX and BlackBerry 7. Users could use a special technology, called Bridge, to receive text messages and BBM messages as well."
    11-06-12 06:27 AM
    I don't know if you can decipher this quote...doesn't sound like BB10 is coming to PB, BBM apparently is not.

"Just mere days ago, GoMoNews.com got the chance to talk with Thorsten Heins to find out why the Canadian tech company is taking their time. He claimed that he wanted BlackBerry 10 to work right. It’s expected that BB10 will be a completely revamped version of their software. Thorsten Heins also mentioned that, “Our developer teams are continuing to generate momentum to bring a wealth of applications to BlackBerry 10.”
    GoMoNews.com also recently got the chance to talk to some of the PR representatives for some more answers regarding the situation. One thing that was confirmed was BlackBerry’s requirement for BBM (BlackBerry Messenger). They’ll need to install either BlackBerry Enterprise Server(BES) or BlackBerry Internet Service(BIS) to get the BBM to work.
    The second important question is if there were any BES or BIS clients for the upcoming RIM PlayBook. According to the PR reps, that answer is no. The new devices will run on a specialized operating system based on QNX and BlackBerry 7. Users could use a special technology, called Bridge, to receive text messages and BBM messages as well."

Ok that is a really ridiculous quote. You dont INSTALL BIS, it is the back end that RIM provides. You dont have a BIS client. It is built into the device. Same with BES, there is no installation needed on the device, it is again, a back end system. IF they are trying to say (very poorly), that you will need a BES or BIS plan, they are absolutely correct. The (for lack of a better term) service books need to be pushed to the device via BIS or BES to get BBM to work, which is exactly the same as it works on BB7.x and below.
    Duckman00 likes this.
    11-06-12 06:37 AM
    yeah they need to maintain that 10mil sell through at minimum.
    11-06-12 06:38 AM
    I think they have room somewhere between 2M and 10M to deliver BB10 phones and still not be considered to have failed... 10M to me seems like an unreasonably high expectation, though I think only 2M would probably mean they are still in trouble.
    11-06-12 11:18 AM
106 123 ...