My philosophy is to avoid andro apps unless it is really impossible. When the app is free I can install it then delete if need be, but when it is a paying app... I have come to add 'native' within my comments; still I don't find a general filtering approach...
    07-07-12 05:03 AM
    You can't......
    07-07-12 06:10 AM
    The developer needs to be clear about the app language. The has to put that in the description. If its not there, than you can't know it. (PS read the description and look the link of the developer. He might posted more info on his website)

Jeroen
    07-07-12 06:14 AM
    You can tell in most cases by the screenshots which tend to show the top status bar. However, there is no clear way.

Remember though, some of the android apps are very good
    erhan8 likes this.
    07-07-12 08:06 AM
    My philosophy is to avoid andro apps unless it is really impossible. When the app is free I can install it then delete if need be, but when it is a paying app... I have come to add 'native' within my comments; still I don't find a general filtering approach...
    Did you try contacting the developer directly and ask?
    07-07-12 08:25 AM
    There is nothing wrong with properly tested Android apps. Sure, some sideloaded ones are buggy and shouldn't be relied on, but I have had zero problems with Android apps installed from App World. You don't really need to check which ones are or aren't Android, they all work fine.
    07-07-12 08:54 AM
    Rim does NOT permit the developer to reveal that info in their appworld description. So if the screenshots don't reveal it, you canNOT tell.
    07-07-12 09:41 AM
    There is nothing wrong with properly tested Android apps. Sure, some sideloaded ones are buggy and shouldn't be relied on, but I have had zero problems with Android apps installed from App World. You don't really need to check which ones are or aren't Android, they all work fine.
    Well, I disagree with this. For me, Andro apps do impose a different UI. Get back swiping lowmost corner, bottom bar showing all other Andro apps all merged, etc.

Indeed I do appreciate the wrapper and the possibility to get some of them (email comes to mind), but definitely given two approximately similar apps on the market, I automatically will choose the native one.

My only concern is, there is no simple way to check without scanning internet, groups, etc. --or just paying to see.
    I'll continue scanning ;-)
    07-07-12 09:45 AM
    Rim does NOT permit the developer to reveal that info in their appworld description. So if the screenshots don't reveal it, you canNOT tell.
    Sometimes the developers put that info on their website.
    07-07-12 12:53 PM
    Why does it matter so much? I have several android ports that are perfect.
    07-07-12 04:33 PM
    because it needs much more time to start
    you can only run one android app at one time (with 2.0....2.1 will change this i know)

there are a few things why android ports are not the same as native apps...
    07-07-12 06:40 PM
    Well, I disagree with this. For me, Andro apps do impose a different UI. Get back swiping lowmost corner, bottom bar showing all other Andro apps all merged, etc.
    You can hide the bottom bar. It's not needed at all.
    07-08-12 06:33 AM
    Sucroid, Jeroen13: sure I try to contact devs and find websites; sometimes none of this works (I converged recently to the Baca newsreader for instance: dev mail wrong, no site)
    SifJar: I may hide it, but don't I need it back to e. g. return from one panel to the previous one?

Honestly: without Android's K9mail which contrary to BB one is a real emailer, I just wouldn't have bought the Playbook. But still, I definitely prefer native apps, and this is not only because it's a matter of life and death for RIM. They are also more efficient and sharing a common UI...
    07-08-12 09:49 AM
    You never need the bottom bar. Swiping right to left along the bottom bezel does the job of the back button perfectly, and to me makes far more sense than tapping a button on a navigation bar which serves no other useful purpose. Although the bar still annoyingly appears when swiping down from the top bezel to simulate the Android "menu" button.

Also, a little protip regarding identifying Android apps - if it is published by "Handster", it's Android (repackaged by a third party and put on App World)
    erhan8 and Spacemonkie like this.
    07-08-12 11:04 AM
    Unfortunately you can't, but I would much prefer to know. There is no substitute for knowing where you stand with security and privacy.
    07-08-12 06:08 PM
    You never need the bottom bar. Swiping right to left along the bottom bezel does the job of the back button perfectly, and to me makes far more sense than tapping a button on a navigation bar which serves no other useful purpose. Although the bar still annoyingly appears when swiping down from the top bezel to simulate the Android "menu" button.

Also, a little protip regarding identifying Android apps - if it is published by "Handster", it's Android (repackaged by a third party and put on App World)
    Thank hou for this!
    Now that you teached me how to replace this lower Andro bar, would you know by any chance how one can have it disappear in, for instance, K9mail?
    (also, thanks for the Handster tip!)
    H.
    07-09-12 01:11 AM
    Thank hou for this!
    Now that you teached me how to replace this lower Andro bar, would you know by any chance how one can have it disappear in, for instance, K9mail?
    (also, thanks for the Handster tip!)
    H.
    Tap the box on the far right hand side of the toolbar- that will make it go away. It will only come up if you swipe down from the top, but another swipe down will make it disappear.
    07-09-12 01:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD