This is the third time I stay up waiting for a PB update that never comes. Anyone had any luck yet? I've been checking every 5 mins since 1 AM Pacific. . .
    10-03-12 03:38 AM
    lol you wont see it for another 6-8 hours. os 2 was released around midnight or 1am in australia which is still another 7 hours atm.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    10-03-12 04:00 AM
    When it's here you won't need to ask as it will be plastered all over the different BlackBerry websites and Twitter etc.

I'm impatiently awaiting too.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-03-12 04:18 AM
    Not yet in Canada. 50 miles from Waterloo.
    10-03-12 04:31 AM
    Got my Bridge update this morning, but nothing yet on the Playbook. We shall see what happens at 6:00am EST.
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    10-03-12 04:41 AM
    Got the bridge updated too, but because i can only use wifi in about 7 more hours, i'm not in that anxious state that you are

Besides, wouldnt it be prudent to wait a few hours before updating the OS?

1 - Less data traffic in the servers

2 - Clearing the odds of a pull like in the latest OS...(Even though i'm on .668 with no complaints)...

I'll update next week
    10-03-12 04:59 AM
    Got the bridge updated too, but because i can only use wifi in about 7 more hours, i'm not in that anxious state that you are

Besides, wouldnt it be prudent to wait a few hours before updating the OS?

1 - Less data traffic in the servers

2 - Clearing the odds of a pull like in the latest OS...(Even though i'm on .668 with no complaints)...

I'll update next week
    Yeh, pioneers are the guys with arrows in their backs.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    10-03-12 05:04 AM
    i have the Bridge update, and i have them paired almost constantly. When i get texts this morning the notification bell goes off but i can't see any notification!! how infuriating! then it popped up with a notification but won't let me open it! anyone else having that?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790
    10-03-12 05:37 AM
    2pm UK imo
    10-03-12 05:57 AM
    i have the Bridge update, and i have them paired almost constantly. When i get texts this morning the notification bell goes off but i can't see any notification!! how infuriating! then it popped up with a notification but won't let me open it! anyone else having that?

You'll need the Official 2.1 OS first...
    10-03-12 06:08 AM
    2pm UK imo
    another 2hrs ....
    10-03-12 06:10 AM
    You'll need the Official 2.1 OS first...

i know that!! like that's be impossible to miss in this forum recently... but im just saying the notifications r coming through already, which is exciting, if a bit of a tease...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    10-03-12 06:22 AM
    hee this is fun, and I havent even got my playbook yet! Its due to be delivered today in weird synchronistic blackberry dimensional subspace...

This is like xmas all over again, and i think 2.1 is the most exciting bit...

will it be 2pm gmt? 10pm east coast? -5am hogworts? 13pm spinal tap?
    10-03-12 06:27 AM
    My DNS server is starting to get rather annoyed at me for repeatedly pressing the update button....
    10-03-12 06:40 AM
    My DNS server is starting to get rather annoyed at me for repeatedly pressing the update button....
    Why?

Your client will probably be caching the answer, as is your DNS server (probably)...
    10-03-12 06:44 AM
    Why?

Your client will probably be caching the answer, as is your DNS server (probably)...
    if we are being pedantic, I will start flushing DNS and ARP caches....then hit the button.
    10-03-12 06:51 AM
    if we are being pedantic
    We are ;-)
    I will start flushing DNS and ARP caches....then hit the button.
    Well you won't be able to flush all the DNS caches all the way up the chain.

Plus ARP caches are only relevant on the subnet you have. The arp table on either your router or your computer, won't have the update server(s) MAC address, merely the MAC address of your next hop - which ain't likely to change - so do yourself a favour.... don't bother flushing that.

Besides which, why would you bother flushing caches - they're helping you, in their own, miniscule way - is / are the update server(s) changing their IP addresses or something?
    10-03-12 06:59 AM
    As of 8:07am EST no update yet
    10-03-12 07:08 AM
    We are ;-)

Well you won't be able to flush all the DNS caches all the way up the chain.

Plus ARP caches are only relevant on the subnet you have. The arp table on either your router or your computer, won't have the update server(s) MAC address, merely the MAC address of your next hop - which ain't likely to change - so do yourself a favour.... don't bother flushing that.

Besides which, why would you bother flushing caches - they're helping you, in their own, miniscule way - is / are the update server(s) changing their IP addresses or something?
    This is true, I can control the DNS all the way to my ISP, I can indeed call them to do this should I wish. I was merely pointing out that if my DNS server were self-aware and sentient it would be getting a bit p1ssed off with me tapping the button.

Releasing and renewing your IP does however flush both cashes
    10-03-12 07:09 AM
    This is true, I can control the DNS all the way to my ISP, I can indeed call them to do this should I wish. I was merely pointing out that if my DNS server were self-aware and sentient it would be getting a bit p1ssed off with me tapping the button.
    Very unlikely - I keep telling you - it's likely your client would be caching the DNS response, especially if you keep tapping the button - plus your DNS server will likely be caching the answer, as likely would your ISP's DNS server, as would likely every other DNS server in the chain, beyond your ISP, to the authoritative DNS server for the domain in question.
    Releasing and renewing your IP does however flush both cashes
    On your client, maybe.

Your ARP cache is irrelevant, and your DNS cache on your client, merely one, in probably several along the chain.

Hitting the button repeatedly, rarely sees the traffic where you think it does, and is probably a drop in the ocean compared with how often some apps might.

I'm really not getting this oddness that you've brought up about flushing caches, though - why on earth would you do that, unless you believed the IP address was changing, and the TTL long enough that you'd likely have an incorrect answer?
    10-03-12 07:20 AM
    technophile D!CK waving at its best...see what bb update frenzy does to minds that only think in binary! damn you RiM
    10-03-12 07:23 AM
    technophile D!CK waving at its best...
    <bows> Why thank you!
    see what bb update frenzy does to minds that only think in binary! damn you RiM
    I can do octal, decimal and hex, too...
    10-03-12 07:25 AM
    Very unlikely - I keep telling you - it's likely your client would be caching the DNS response, especially if you keep tapping the button - plus your DNS server will likely be caching the answer, as likely would your ISP's DNS server, as would likely every other DNS server in the chain, beyond your ISP, to the authoritative DNS server for the domain in question.

On your client, maybe.

Your ARP cache is irrelevant, and your DNS cache on your client, merely one, in probably several along the chain.

Hitting the button repeatedly, rarely sees the traffic where you think it does, and is probably a drop in the ocean compared with how often some apps might.

I'm really not getting this oddness that you've brought up about flushing caches, though - why on earth would you do that, unless you believed the IP address was changing, and the TTL long enough that you'd likely have an incorrect answer?
    I will break it down....

I was hitting the update button, and making an observation that my DNS was probably getting sick of being asked the same question over and over. Like when my daughter asks for sweets in the shops.

You rightly pointed out that the information was being cached, at my client and my DNS server. So I made a point to say that I could flush all of those to stop that being the case. Releasing and renewing my IP on my client would flush both DNS and ARP caches at the same time.

You rightly pointed out I cant flush the DNS caches further up the chain, true! But my DNS doesn't give a toss about that. ( I know because I asked it) it was giving me the evil eyes as though to say "dont you ask that again" now you have got your pants in a bunch over ARP, which is fine if we were talking about networks outside my control.

Now... all this talk of flushing has made me want to go drop this kids off at the pool...
    10-03-12 07:43 AM

My texts are fully working. It seems you need to be on a or one of the beta OS's.

All I can say is they work on beta 2.1.0.840
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-03-12 07:44 AM
    I will break it down....

I was hitting the update button, and making an observation that my DNS was probably getting sick of being asked the same question over and over. Like when my daughter asks for sweets in the shops.
    And I was breaking it down, saying your DNS was probably not actually being asked the same question, over and over, because it's likely your client device would cache the answer.
    You rightly pointed out that the information was being cached, at my client and my DNS server. So I made a point to say that I could flush all of those to stop that being the case.
    Why would you want to - how would it help you?

Caching is helping both you - the end user - and the DNS infrastructure, by providing quicker answers, and not taxing nameservers when they don't need to be.

So WHY would you flush the cache?
    Releasing and renewing my IP on my client would flush both DNS and ARP caches at the same time.
    Why would you want to?

And the ARP cache is irrelevant - 'cos that's not going to change. arp cache is irrelevant for targets not on the same subnet that you're on.
    You rightly pointed out I cant flush the DNS caches further up the chain, true! But my DNS doesn't give a toss about that. ( I know because I asked it)
    You probably didn't - your client machine probably didn't bother, because it still had the answer in it's cache.
    it was giving me the evil eyes as though to say "dont you ask that again" now you have got your pants in a bunch over ARP, which is fine if we were talking about networks outside my control.
    ARP is irrelevant to hosts outside of your subnet - since the answer is always going to be the same - the MAC address of the first hop OFF your subnet.

Anyways, caching HELPS you - why would you be flushing? Just because you could locally - doesn't mean it helps you to do so.
    Now... all this talk of flushing has made me want to go drop this kids off at the pool...
    Good.

I face enough hassle in my job with people knowing half-truths about this stuff, to see guff respouted. Please stop.

Or if you're going to continue to try and be metaphoric and humourous, or humourous and metaphoric, or humourously metaphoric, or metaphorically humourous, at least get the details right so you don't proliferate more misunderstanding.

Have a nice day.
    10-03-12 07:51 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD