Hey,

Since i'm a noob i'm not ashamed to say/ask this:

- I just realized that my android runtimes version is only version 2.1... (i'm on 2.10.668 PB OS).

It limits my app usage, right? Some say that need 2.3 or higher.

So, my question is: How do i get a higher version of this?

Which is the version that runs on Beta .840?

Tks

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-18-12 12:16 PM
    My Android Runtime(player) is 2.0.42.

Even lower than i thought ^^

08-18-12 12:19 PM
    The Android Runtime on the latest OS 2.1 BETA is not even close to Gingerbread (Android 2.3 platform ) WTF?

You can't upgrade your android player unless RIM updates the the runtime themselves.

BB10 might ( 70% positive ) update the android player to Honeycomb (Android 3.0)

50% Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0)

25% Jelly Bean (Android 4.1)

Let's wait and see.
    Last edited by rupam95; 08-18-12 at 12:43 PM.
    08-18-12 12:39 PM
    K,

Tks man

Just would like to be able to use more android apps on the PB...

08-18-12 12:53 PM
    Err.. No The Android Runtime Version you all are refering to is the build number by RIM..
    PB presently is running the Android version 2.3.3 (Gingerbread).. And as far as I know it has been running that for quite sometime..
    Though some unavailable APIs are made accessible along the way like recently the Camera was made available to the Android apps. You can get more info about the unavailable APIs on the Blackberry Dev Webpage..

Presently Gingerbread is the most unsed API so I don't really see the Player being updated anytime soon. As far as I know presently the BB10 Dev Alpha OS too runs the 2.3.3 runtime..

And not being able to run android apps is usually related to them using native libs.. PB presently only supports Dalvik (the java part)..
    Last edited by GreyGhostRos; 08-18-12 at 01:41 PM.
    08-18-12 01:26 PM
    Tks for clarifiying me!

For sure its "libs"...

08-18-12 02:42 PM
    I found a version of HoneyComb on the Bar Spreadsheet.. After install reboot PB then when launching Android it will ask if you want to use which version.... HC Launcher looks more like a Conventional Android
    08-20-12 10:53 PM
    I found a version of HoneyComb on the Bar Spreadsheet.. After install reboot PB then when launching Android it will ask if you want to use which version.... HC Launcher looks more like a Conventional Android
    Well the topic was about the underlying Android runtime.. And not about the launcher.. When you install the launcher well you install just the launcher application.. It has nothing to do with how the apps will run..
    nonayabusiness likes this.
    08-21-12 09:00 AM
    as far as i know the android runtime version number is not the android OS version number. The playbook is based on 2.3 and the runtime version number i gues is based arroudn the version number of the installed playbook OS. So if your run beta 2.1 your android runtime version number is 2.1.X.XXXX (or something like that). for 2.0 its 2.0.X.XXX.

I dont think android 3.X would be a wise step for a upgrade as it is a tablet only OS, if we see an update with bb10 it will be 4.X which is compatible with phones and tablets.
    08-21-12 11:35 AM
    K dude, tks

How can i see if an apk is for a phone or tab?

Can i do it using 7zip?

08-21-12 11:49 AM
    Pretty much every APK designed for 2.3 will be designed for phones. Some will be designed for tablets, but they're rare as hardly any tablets had 2.3. Most apps with actual tablet UIs require 4.0 to access the tablet UI. (So even if an app does have a tablet UI, I don't think you will see it when the app is installed on PB, I think it'll still show the phone UI).
    08-21-12 11:56 AM
    i gues tablet only apks wont run on the pb, cause it would require 3.X or 4.X. Some android apps have a a phone gui and tablet gui stored inside and because we have only 2.3 my guess would be that it will only use the phone GUI.But im not 100% sure on this.
    08-21-12 11:56 AM
    Pretty much every APK designed for 2.3 will be designed for phones. Some will be designed for tablets, but they're rare as hardly any tablets had 2.3. Most apps with actual tablet UIs require 4.0 to access the tablet UI. (So even if an app does have a tablet UI, I don't think you will see it when the app is installed on PB, I think it'll still show the phone UI).
    Correct for the most part, Some apps like Yahoo Messenger have a "Tablet" mode which works nicely. Obenkyo is also another app which is by default in tablet format when loaded.
    08-21-12 12:25 PM
    Correct for the most part, Some apps like Yahoo Messenger have a "Tablet" mode which works nicely. Obenkyo is also another app which is by default in tablet format when loaded.
    Hence "pretty much" yeah, there are of course some exceptions (as with every good rule), but for the most part, what I said is (probably) true.
    08-21-12 12:54 PM
    Hence "pretty much" yeah, there are of course some exceptions (as with every good rule), but for the most part, what I said is (probably) true.
    Actually come to think of it, I think that the Galaxy Tab was the tablet that had inspired Android 2.3 Tablet Optimized apps in the first place. Considering the amount of excitement for this product it only seemed logical that developers would want to try and create applications which take advantage of the 7 inch display.
    08-21-12 12:58 PM
    Well the topic was about the underlying Android runtime.. And not about the launcher.. When you install the launcher well you install just the launcher application.. It has nothing to do with how the apps will run..
    Thanks for the correction. Makes sense.
    08-22-12 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD