Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45
Like Tree10Likes
  1. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #26  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
    I'm failing to connect on your argument against side-loaded Android apps...assuming the 'original' bar files we spent the last year+ converting won't install, we should be able to RE-convert them, and see them run in the same type of Android instance as we do now, no?
    There is absolutely no valid reason I have seen to suggest that already converted apps will cease to function for any reason. That argument is complete nonsense as far as I can tell from looking at the actual facts, and not speculating.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  2. pacoman03's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,236 Posts
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    There is absolutely no valid reason I have seen to suggest that already converted apps will cease to function for any reason. That argument is complete nonsense as far as I can tell from looking at the actual facts, and not speculating.
    Especially since RIM doesn't seem to draw any distinction between converted android apps running on BB10 and the current PB OS. Overview - Runtime for Android apps - BlackBerry Developer
    Thanked by:
    SifJar (01-24-2013) 
  3. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,859 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #28  

    Default 5 reasons NOT to switch to BB10 (followed by: 5 reasons to switch?)

    The same Android bar will run on both PlayBook and phone or neither.

    Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  4. smoothrunnings's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,483 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    #29  

    Default

    1) I don't care about side loading as I don't believe in pirating or short changing companies for their services.
    2) I am sure RIM is working with the current app developers to have their existing apps work on BB10 so will we truly lose the ability not being able to use them? No one knows until we get there so why speculate on something you don't know anything about?

    To be honest I think RIM should come add the 64GB LTE model to their LTE fleet and offer some kind of trade in for those who bought the first Playbook (non-LTE) to an LTE version, they could turn around and repackage the old non-LTE models they collect as new LTE models and resell them not losing anything. South America is one of the few countries left who doesn't consume products then throws them away and buys the next best thing, no, they continue to fix and reuse things until they completely fail were there are no parts available anywhere, the product usually turns to dust by then. LOL Old GSM or (can't remember the other service) cell phones which we toss away are worth about $150 USD to them, RIM could make a small fortune if they decided to do some kind of upgrade program and not repackage the old Playbooks into LTE's the people down there would love them and some may actually re-engineer them to work as LTE models because the people are like that.

    Anyhow it's my belief that RIM will likely come out with a whole new Playbook that will be more like Apples or Androids version when it comes to having more screen and less of an edge (border) to it.
  5. pacoman03's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,236 Posts
    #30  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    No one knows until we get there so why speculate on something you don't know anything about?.........
    Anyhow it's my belief that RIM will likely come out with a whole new Playbook that will be more like Apples or Androids version when it comes to having more screen and less of an edge (border) to it.
    That makes sense?
  6. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #31  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    1) I don't care about side loading as I don't believe in pirating or short changing companies for their services.
    I am strongly opposed to piracy, I have dozens of sideloaded apps. There are numerous free native PB apps shared on sites such as these forums which aren't in App World (e.g. emulators), plus hundreds of free Android apps that work great but haven't been officially converted. Not a single bit of piracy involved, and plenty of sideloading.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    kbz1960 likes this.
  7. Xopher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,053 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)
    #32  

    Default

    Side loading works on BB10. Many of the apps side loaded onto the PlayBook still work just fine on the Dev Alpha. So, point #3 is just speculation that has already been proven to work just fine.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
  8. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,345 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,490 Global Posts
    #33  

    Default Re: 5 reasons NOT to switch to BB10 (followed by: 5 reasons to switch?)

    I cannot think of A.N.Y reason not to switch to BB10. Sorry

    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    Thanked by:
    nappp (01-27-2013) 
  9. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,345 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,490 Global Posts
    #34  

    Default Re: 5 reasons NOT to switch to BB10 (followed by: 5 reasons to switch?)

    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    I am strongly opposed to piracy, I have dozens of sideloaded apps. There are numerous free native PB apps shared on sites such as these forums which aren't in App World (e.g. emulators), plus hundreds of free Android apps that work great but haven't been officially converted. Not a single bit of piracy involved, and plenty of sideloading.
    Any piracy on playbook is soly due to poor android security.

    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
  10. Banco's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    928 Posts
    #35  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    Any piracy on playbook is soly due to poor android security.
    Just because someone's left the front door unlocked doesn't make it right to go in and nick the telly.
  11. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #36  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    Any piracy on playbook is soly due to poor android security.

    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    That's completely moronic. What has Android got to do with pirating a native Playbook app?
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  12. pttptppt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,979 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts
    #37  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    That's completely moronic. What has Android got to do with pirating a native Playbook app?
    I think he/she is talking about downloading PAID ANDROID apps to playbook when you're talking about sideloading PAID BLACKBERRY apps.

    There's a difference where one of them is beyond control (android) while the other has been controlled so barely any pirating now.
  13. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #38  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pttptppt View Post
    I think he/she is talking about downloading PAID ANDROID apps to playbook when you're talking about sideloading PAID BLACKBERRY apps.

    There's a difference where one of them is beyond control (android) while the other has been controlled so barely any pirating now.
    Yes, but you see they said "piracy on playbook is soly [sic] due to poor android security", there is no qualification or explanation given to substantiate your suggestion. They clearly stated that all piracy on the PB is due to poor Android security, which is nonsense.

    EDIT: Oh and if you think pirating App World apps isn't possible any more, you'd be mistaken Perhaps there aren't people actively uploading the BAR files any more, I'm not sure (I don't look because I don't care for piracy), but it is certainly possible to lay hands on them.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  14. pttptppt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,979 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts
    #39  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Yes, but you see they said "piracy on playbook is soly [sic] due to poor android security", there is no qualification or explanation given to substantiate your suggestion. They clearly stated that all piracy on the PB is due to poor Android security, which is nonsense.

    EDIT: Oh and if you think pirating App World apps isn't possible any more, you'd be mistaken Perhaps there aren't people actively uploading the BAR files any more, I'm not sure (I don't look because I don't care for piracy), but it is certainly possible to lay hands on them.
    btw i think it was just a mistake of theirs after all (they probably didn't know you could pirate playbook apps)

    and... as I said and I quote myself "so barely any pirating now" I was saying there's a lot less piracy like pbvn.net was taken down (although recently brought back up, they barely post anything and I'd know as my friend always pirates apps just to prove r.i.m sucks) so people can still do it but it's harder now and most people can't.

    oh and the two ways are:
    1. downgrading to an os (can't remember which one) that allows you to backup your files
    2. (I don't know how they do this, but mainly xsacha does it and a few others) they get these somehow before they're released
  15. Morpheus's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    400 Posts
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just Ask...
    #40  

    Default

    pointless bantering has gotten off topic....

    Where has it been confirmed written in pen and ink that it was guaranteed that the PB was getting BB10....................I haven't seen nor heard it as a confirmed "truth"...until I see that, or it is released for the PB...this is speculation...
    911 takes too long, a squeeze of the trigger will solve the problem...and I can save minutes...when seconds count...

    Morpheus@crackberry.com

    twitter @jmjacksonF135
  16. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #41  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pttptppt View Post
    oh and the two ways are:
    1. downgrading to an os (can't remember which one) that allows you to backup your files
    2. (I don't know how they do this, but mainly xsacha does it and a few others) they get these somehow before they're released
    You can't downgrade from the latest OS, and the holes allowing you to download apps before they're released have, to the best of my knowledge, been patched now. Regardless, it is still possible to access the BAR files of any released app on the latest version of the OS.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  17. pttptppt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,979 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts
    #42  

    Default

    not that I know of and yes you cant downgrade but the people that didnt upgrade can still do it
  18. Mickrick's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    221 Posts
    #43  

    Default

    Wow, I bet you're a hoot at parties! We don't even know exactly what features BB10 will bring to the PB, or will take away for that matter, and you have it all worked out already lol. To me, the PB is a device to be treated as a serious bit of kit, not a gimmick (ios) or games machine (android). I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with BB10 and all it has to offer.
  19. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #44  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pttptppt View Post
    not that I know of and yes you cant downgrade but the people that didnt upgrade can still do it
    I never said you knew of it. I'm saying that a way to do it exists (and I know of it, for what it's worth).
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  20. Wongsky's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    811 Posts
    #45  

    Default

    Personally, having seen the hardware needs of later versions of OS in other tablets, change the game in terms of what's already in the device? I'm going to wait for loads, here, to go to BB10 if / when it comes to the PlayBook, before taking the plunge.

    Truth be told, I'm quite happy with how my PlayBook performs on .1314 - the only compelling things would be: it runs just as well / is just as performant - and all I've heard to address that, has been speculation - albeit reasonable speculation, but speculation, nonetheless; AND Kindle and / or (preferably and) Skype working and native (well dedicated PlayBook apps).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Switch from BES to BESX: Is there a reason not to?
    By JNM in forum BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 11:27 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 01:46 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
  4. How to post comments on Facebook by replying to e-mail notifications?
    By romaromama in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
  5. Any reason not to start w refurb'd BB 7230?
    By svendster in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions